New Rings of Saturn

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mklane

Reaction score
I usually subscribe to the if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it but damn this sucks! I saw them open for Dying Fetus awhile back and was actually excited to see them cause I heard they were "space grind" and I love weird grindy shit. They were awful, uninteresting and staring at their guitar necks the whole time. The singer wearing a backwards ball cap looked like he didn't give a ..... I guess they're doing something right though cause we are talking about them. Anyway here's some space grind!
PSUDOKU - Space Grind [full album] - YouTube

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cronux

Reaction score
With all the "recording at half speed" brouhaha around them I really don't care about them... but I read metalsucks from time to time and saw this video

gonna quote

Sounds like someone fell asleep on their computer keyboard when they had guitar pro's piano roll open.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
it annoyed me that there was fairly obvious trem action in the solo and his guitar in the video has no trem. other than that, I don't care either way.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The big give away that the guitars are sampled or super edited is in the tremolo parts you can hear every note is down picked. That whole process sounds exhausting. There must be thousands of notes to edit together.

At this stage it shouldn't even be debated if ROS edit everything together in Pro Tools when they don't even try to mask it.

Deathspell Omega

Reaction score
There was a Rings of Saturn in the Los Angeles club scene back in the 80's.
Definitely not the same stuff.

Haha, indeed. Didn`t they have a song called "To See Black" and a guy named Billy Coane on vocals ? They were a melodic band with sci-fi themes, as far as I remember. Now these ROS here are quite a different animal of course. As already mentioned the so-called heavy parts sound pretentious - still, but I must admit that I do like some of the mellower, spacey parts. What really needs to be seen/or heard is : What are they gonna be able to pull off live and how ? Haven`t seen them live yet and maybe I won`t intend to do so. :lol:

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
MetalSucks says they're crap.
Oh no, don't take my word for it. I just don't listen to them because their vocalist bleeds from the mouth in his videos, and I'm haemophobic :/

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
At this stage it shouldn't even be debated if ROS edit everything together in Pro Tools when they don't even try to mask it.

Yeah. It's pretty painful to hear this, actually. Lucas Mann and his cronies just need to stop altogether, if they don't give enough of a fukk to even hide anything. NOBODY will take them seriously.

SmackyChot

tune l0w and 0
Reaction score
Lucas is a douchenozzle.

But I enjoyed this. Its chaotic, stupid, and fun. Some of the leads fit that alienskilleverythingomg sound. I hope he does more with this album like was done with Utopia on Dingir. But if I want deep feels, realism and perfect songwriting in my death metal, I'll go elsewhere.

This just makes me want to invade a planet and slaughter the populace.

To each his own, everyone.

mikah912

Reaction score
Funny thing is, I actually like the 8-bit sounding NES-core bits, especially the outro. The rest is just so silly and lifeless, tho...

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
The two times I've seen them, they were nailing their shit dead on. Except for their (former) drummer the first time I saw them, that dude ....ing sucked :lol: (the loser who started all the half speed recording nonsense).

As for Mann being a douche, he seemed like a nice guy talking to him at shows -shrug- seems mostly like that keeps being said simply because the internet decided it was so.

Oh well, this was the response to this thread I expected from here. Still find it hilarious how butthurt this band makes people. I totally get not liking the band's music, that is one thing. But just look at the responses in this thread and its clear some people seriously need to pull the rods out from their asses :lol: I'm just glad this sort of negativity seems mostly confined to the microcosm of the internet. My hippy ass would go postal being around people this negative in the real world lol,

gorthul

Reaction score
I have to say that their songwriting has improved. There were a few parts I really enjoyed.
That being said: it's still a mess and I would not listen to it again.

RoRo56

Reaction score
Am I right in saying the drummer who performed on the album/song is the guy from infant annihilator? It sounds exactly like his v-drums. In a lot of cases i understand the need for triggered bass drums but what this guy is doing is just laughable. Essentially just twitching his ankles and barely tipping the bass drum.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
As for Mann being a douche, he seemed like a nice guy talking to him at shows -shrug- seems mostly like that keeps being said simply because the internet decided it was so.

I'm sure he's a perfectly lovely human being. If he keeps practicing and keeps up the hard work, one day he might even be able to play the music he writes in Guitar Pro. That'd really be something. :)

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
The two times I've seen them, they were nailing their shit dead on. Except for their (former) drummer the first time I saw them, that dude ....ing sucked :lol: (the loser who started all the half speed recording nonsense).

I saw them on the Slaughter Survivors tour, and my experience was pretty much like yours. The guitarists were on point, but the drummer was terrible, and the singer was annoying as shit.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
Eh, I didn't really like it except for the end. I really liked how their song writing improved on Dingir (I enjoyed a couple of the songs on it) but unfortunately it feels like they've regressed writing wise except for the end (just my opinion, no hate intended).

Edit: The more I listen to it the more I begin to dislike it. Oh well, I guess I'll just stick to the 4 songs I like from Dingir.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I saw them on the Slaughter Survivors tour, and my experience was pretty much like yours. The guitarists were on point, but the drummer was terrible, and the singer was annoying as shit.

I thought that singers between song banter was funny personally lol. But yeah.

Also, signature win on your part :lol: