New Rings of Saturn

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ForThisGift

Reaction score
If what they were trying to do was stir up shit, then they are a great band. If they were trying to make well-received guitar wankery, then they have failed miserably. After I heard this current abortion I went back and listened to some of their catalog... I am not certain they have EVER written a song; if they have, I was unable to find it.

There are plenty of bands displaying truly technical playing while still managing to craft songs. This is just pretentious, virtuoso musical terrorism that the band didn't even take the time to actual perform! How can you be SO wrapped up in writing technically challenging parts (for no ones benefit in the first place) that you have abandoned all attempts to make a song and then not even play the parts? :nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flaik

Reaction score
I just noticed lucas is wearing an "I love haters hat" hahaha
Coincidence or direct reference to the SSO hate? you decide.

JoeyW

Reaction score
Why does he wear that stupid hat for everything?

I actually like what ROS does, and their vocalist is rad. Zero structure though, it literally goes no where. Just Idea 1/Idea 2/Idea 3/etc, etc... Also, the production is the exact opposite of what I like so I don't think it'll get too many spins. I used to want to give Lucas the benefit of the doubt as far as being somewhat capable of playing the material but you'd think there'd be actual raw footage of him playing by now, even @#!*% potato cam from some kid in a music store. I mean, the stuff is definitely technical but rhythmically it's not spectacular or even "out there" and definitely nothing a few hours with a metronome couldn't remedy, I feel like it just chalks up to entitled laziness that is present in a lot of musicians.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Hilarious how the video pulls away during the obviously impossible bends and how much of this is clearly computer generated not played. These guys really need to stop pretending they are producing this music with their instruments and playing.

Still I enjoyed it.

Sonicboom

Reaction score
To all the negative comments...

Ever thought that the guitars are processed to high heaven. it serves a purpose. it is the sound THEY want for the album. It is RoS afterall. I like it. They have a niche that they fill...

But yeah, Haters gonna Hate. LOL.

I'm not gonna listen to this ALL the time but sometimes you are in the mood for some crazy ass tech and this hits the spot:hbang:

Icecold

Reaction score
If what they were trying to do was stir up shit, then they are a great band. If they were trying to make well-received guitar wankery, then they have failed miserably.

That is Andy Kaufman level of Genius and I highly doubt that is what happened.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
*yawns* I can't believe people still cry about bands (allegedly) using editing etc to make music. IDGAF if he can't play what he writes, I don't tend to worry about that kind of thing. Instead I just enjoy the music.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Fortunately, they pull off their material live pretty flawlessly. And all these accusations are suspect at best.

Where's all the outrage at Pink Floyd for recording at reduced speed and speeding up?

Icecold

Reaction score
Fortunately, they pull off their material live pretty flawlessly. And all these accusations are suspect at best.

Where's all the outrage at Pink Floyd for recording at reduced speed and speeding up?

Once again, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKoJ9ywUDu8 . No guitar sounds like that.

Gotta take into account when someone posts a video of that, then wants $20 grand for a solo album and then refuse to make it when the goal isn't met you are not going to be making many friends. It's not a matter of people having "Sticks up their asses". Rings of Saturn is pretty damn poor in the public relations department and haven't exactly done anything to save face when the accusations came along. The doubt is always going to be there.

There is a huge difference between Pink Floyd recording at half speed and Rings of Saturn allegedly recording at half speed. When you record onto Tape at half speed it actually changes the pitch. Pink Floyd was using it as an effect, not using it as a crutch.

The issue with the idea of RoS recording at half speed in Pro Tools or any other DAW is that they play music that is presented as "Technically Demanding."(you can throw any label you want, but the entire point of their music is that) And as such seen as fraudulent.

Dr Zoidberg

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score
I like some of Rings of Saturn's material, but this isn't really my cup of tea. If I want off-the-wall extreme tech, I tend to go with Viraemia or Archspire. Don't understand the amount of hate that RoS gets, though.

They're obviously going for a processed, semi-electronic type sound, and they've clearly achieved that. Why does it matter if it was done with real guitars with processing applied afterwards, if they recorded the guitars at half speed, or even if it's all MIDI? The end product's what matters, and apparently they're happy with their end product, even if it doesn't happen to align with my tastes.

That being said, if they're charging money for live shows, I'd expect them to play well live. From what others who've actually been to their shows have said, it sounds like they can pull all their material off cleanly, so good on them.

Still, Lucas Mann's clearly got a greatly overinflated ego. I lost a lot of respect for him after the whole solo album debacle.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
It's funny I decided to take a listen to dingir again. I mean the drums are ....ing awful but knowing that they almost wanted that kind of production most of the tone is understandble(besides those ....ing drums....)

They kind of wanted that synthetic almost alien approach to production (in-human) so I guess what I'm trying to say is while it's something I won't be listening to on a regular basis at least it tries to be different :shrug:. It's not the best and agree stuff like viraemia will always rule that genre.

P.s. I'll never stop laughing at lucas's guitar pro solo album campaign. So I'm still with you guys on that.

Wildebeest

Reaction score
I like it, and I like the sound they're going for. Sounds like aliens bro.

Nats

Reaction score

I'd like to see YOU try playing those blast beats on Comfortably Numb at normal speed.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
FWIW the angry aliens arguing and chattering sound in Dingir was kind of cool.

Doesn't excuse Lucas Whathisface for being a a dork though.

Xarn

Reaction score
Honestly, can't believe people are still arguing about stuff like this. Who really cares about how he records it?

Obviously everything is basically recorded note for note to get the most ultratight sound possible. But then again, people on this forum are the same people who kept saying The Haarp Machine wasn't recording their guitars note for note. I can still see people saying Within The ruins latest record isn't done in the same way...I mean come on? These three records have basically the absolute same sort of tightness. The sort of tightness and lack of feel that you can only get by recording exactly everything note for note