New Schecter Models Megathread

asopala

Reaction score
Ironically enough they also just released a straight scale guitar with angled pickups.

Maybe it has something to do with optimal positioning for the new fishman? Idek

My guess is a humbucking strat thing, where the single coil bridge pickup is slanted, so they did it with a humbuckers. I'd have to try it out to see if it works or not. And slanted single-coil neck pickups have been a thing for a while.

Sparky8691

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Someone linked to some prototype versions of these new 'Black Ops PT' models on Schecter's Instagram. They were being sold at DCGL. The prototypes had a single angled Lundgren Black Heaven. That's quite a different choice to go for a Fluence Modern for the final production versions.

The Open Core Modern looks cool though. Being closer to the middle position might give it a slightly different sound, would be interesting to find out. Looks like the blade covers all the strings fully. There is a Fluence Modern bridge in my Cort KX507 and when engaging coil split it doesn't pick up the high e string very well. The inner coil just doesn't cover that string enough. It seems a lot of manufacturers go up a size for multiscale with a Fluence Modern now i.e. 8 string version for 7 string guitar.

Price actually looks really good on these PTs. I like the look of LTD's new XJ-1, it's nice to see a cool traditional shape like a Jazzmaster get a modern makeover but the price on those is really high. They also have a 3 voice Fluence, the Open Core Classic. But in all of ESP's wisdom they decided to let you only use 2 of the voices as having the minimalist look of a single volume was clearly more important to them than letting you make the most of your fancy new pickup. Why they didn't use a 3-way switch like Schecter I don't know. Schecter also give you a proper Graph Tech nut, LTD is plastic. And all that at a significantly lower price. But I do just love the shape of the XJ-1.

asopala

Reaction score
Someone linked to some prototype versions of these new 'Black Ops PT' models on Schecter's Instagram. They were being sold at DCGL. The prototypes had a single angled Lundgren Black Heaven. That's quite a different choice to go for a Fluence Modern for the final production versions.

The Open Core Modern looks cool though. Being closer to the middle position might give it a slightly different sound, would be interesting to find out. Looks like the blade covers all the strings fully. There is a Fluence Modern bridge in my Cort KX507 and when engaging coil split it doesn't pick up the high e string very well. The inner coil just doesn't cover that string enough. It seems a lot of manufacturers go up a size for multiscale with a Fluence Modern now i.e. 8 string version for 7 string guitar.

Price actually looks really good on these PTs. I like the look of LTD's new XJ-1, it's nice to see a cool traditional shape like a Jazzmaster get a modern makeover but the price on those is really high. They also have a 3 voice Fluence, the Open Core Classic. But in all of ESP's wisdom they decided to let you only use 2 of the voices as having the minimalist look of a single volume was clearly more important to them than letting you make the most of your fancy new pickup. Why they didn't use a 3-way switch like Schecter I don't know. Schecter also give you a proper Graph Tech nut, LTD is plastic. And all that at a significantly lower price. But I do just love the shape of the XJ-1.
I never understood why other brands besides Schecter didn't just include a TUSQ nut normally. If you get them aftermarket they're only like $12 to $16, and I imagine the price is way lower in bulk. Just add $16 to the price of the guitar, I don't care!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I think I'm very close to deciding what 7 string I want to get with this one.

Sunset7%20Extreme.Grey%20Ghost.01.png

The value for money is insane. This has the body of a Tao 7 with very close to the neck of an SLS Elite (it's not a compound radius though). It seems like a great doer-upper.

This would have costed max $ 700 before the pandemic...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ironically enough they also just released a straight scale guitar with angled pickups.

Maybe it has something to do with optimal positioning for the new fishman? Idek

Schecter: making your low strings sound flubby since 2024.

Regarding the weird string pull of these, and that abominable Warwick, is it not possible to just wind the string on the other side of the peg? I’ve seen this sort of thing before, and have wondered if that wouldn’t be a viable workaround.

asopala

Reaction score
Schecter: making your low strings sound flubby since 2024.

Regarding the weird string pull of these, and that abominable Warwick, is it not possible to just wind the string on the other side of the peg? I’ve seen this sort of thing before, and have wondered if that wouldn’t be a viable workaround.

You could, but you'd have to remember every time that the one string has to be turned against your muscle memory. And that I could see being a problem VERY quickly.

asopala

Reaction score
Schecter literally always has to make at least one dumb design decision that completely ruins a guitar. Why isn't the pickup slanted along with the bridge? It makes the guitar look like shit.
What other times have you noticed something like that (besides the Banshee Mach series putting the pickup selector where they did)? Cause this new one and the Banshee Mach are the only ones I feel that way about after having watched Schecter for nearly a decade at this point, unless I'm forgetting a model.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
What other times have you noticed something like that (besides the Banshee Mach series putting the pickup selector where they did)? Cause this new one and the Banshee Mach are the only ones I feel that way about after having watched Schecter for nearly a decade at this point, unless I'm forgetting a model.

1. Roman numeral inlays
2. Having the Roman numeral inlays rotate 90deg after the 12th fret.

asopala

Reaction score
1. Roman numeral inlays
2. Having the Roman numeral inlays rotate 90deg after the 12th fret.

Yeah, with you on that. That was the Banshee Mach that did that IIRC (where I personally was more bothered by the position of the pickup selector), along with the black "Evil Twin" SLS Elite models. The newer models (Reaper Elite) don't do that, thankfully. Though I wish the Reaper Elite had the spoke wheel truss rod.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yeah, it's usually the dumb fucking inlays they put on a lot of their guitars. Or like that recent Rob Scallion guitar where the inlays only go up to the 12th fret (which was apparently his choice but come the fuck on Schecter, you need to veto that shit). Of course, there's also Schecter's insistence on putting a Sustainiac in 50% of their models. They must single-handedly keep that company in business. And the fact that they're apparently allergic to solid color finishes. WHY IS IT SO HARD?! You don't have to put a fucking burl veneer or dumbass fade on every guitar. And let's not forget all that delicious abalone binding they still fucking use even though it hasn't been 2006 for 18 fucking years.

The Nick Johnston guitars are cool, though.

Last edited:

asopala

Reaction score
Yeah, it's usually the dumb fucking inlays they put on a lot of their guitars. Or like that recent Rob Scallion guitar where the inlays only go up to the 12th fret (which was apparently his choice but come the fuck on Schecter, you need to veto that shit). Of course, there's also Schecter's insistence on putting a sustainiac in 50% of their models. They must single-handedly keep that company in business. And the fact that they're apparently allergic to solid color finishes. WHY IS IT SO HARD?! You don't have to put a fucking burl veneer or dumbass fade on every guitar. And let's not forget all that delicious abalone binding they still fucking use even though it hasn't been 2006 for 18 fucking years.

The Nick Johnston guitars are cool, though.
If Prince is of any indication, Schecter doesn't veto anything, nor do most of the metal guitar brands who do signature models. And why should they if they know the name is going to sell guitars? Just ask Zakk Wylde!

Even if I'm not a fan of certain things, I still have to acknowledge that if signature models were designed for the purposes of the masses to push guitars and not the artist's choices, we wouldn't have signature models. People here LOVE Sullivan King's new signature model, and that guitar is really gaudy on purpose! I'd never buy it myself, but I respect the aesthetics he was going for as a live performer (and he does play those guitars live as part of his DJ sets--really good shredder, I have to say).

As far as the Roman Numeral inlays, that's thankfully mostly a one-off (or two-off, rather) for two models that are now older. I'd be surprised if they did them again anytime soon.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I love everything about my e-1 evil twin except for those roman numeral inlays. They felt outdated when they came out. 9th grade me would have thought they were sick. Adult me would prefer a blank board.

I can complain all day about guitar companies and their design/manufacturing processes.

- cut indonesian production down and invest more into korea/japan/usa production where there will be better QC ass-riding, or tighten up the indonesian qc by being more selective with the quality and drying of the lumber and upping the rejection rate until the stupid routing/hardware placement mistakes I see routinely are addressed.

- lower the amount of matte black and burl/fades

- and my ultimate dream: make fretwork finishing hubs in the U.S. and Europe for before the guitars hit the dealers. Whether it's the temp fluctuations in the shipping containers on the high seas, or that the frets are just being banged in and leveled in a manner that isn't conducive to low action, idk, but the fret leveling quality I've experienced on 90% of the stuff I've bought new online in the past couple years does not meet my expectations. Warmoth just bangs their frets in and doesn't level them and I can usually get a nice low action without even leveling them.

None of my ideas are likely realistic because it will cut into profits, but I can dream. I just needed to complain for a minute, thanks y'all.