New Seymour Duncan Jupiter Pickup

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
For me it sounds like, without being very detailed, the Jupiter has a ton more mids than the Dimebucker, and that's easy because the Dimebucker is scooped, very much indeed.
I can see the Jupiter working better for lead work and for modern djent tones...

I never liked the Dimebucker except for Pantera's tones BUT lately I am enjoying crispier pickups but I need mids to cut thru... but the Jupiter, while in paper it looked perfect, in that demo compared to the Dimebucker it might be a bit too much mid forward for the tone I want... Sounds to me like you have engaged an EQ with boosted 800Hz to 2000Hz all the time... I don't mind a bit in the 1200Hz area for a clearer sound but ALL the time...

I will keep an eye for different comparisons as I might be again hunting a new pickup for the same fucking guitar... This is neverending... might just change the guitar but it plays so good...

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I recently bought a guitar that came with a set of Jupiter pickups in it. I used to have a dimebucker maybe 12 years ago, too long for me to give a good comparison.

I would say the Jupiter is very high output and not scooped or EQ’ed to a noticeable degree. Some pickups like the nazgul have some very obvious frequency profile. The Jupiter just seems super hot but not noisy when I play. There is a noticeable amount of what I call “stringyness” that the neck pickup brings out. For those of you with a precision drive, it’s like have the clicked knob rotated more clockwise.

If I A/B the Jupiter set with a Fluence Modern, I think the modern sounds more tame, less hot, but also more focused. The Jupiter also seems very “fast” and even across the strings, it’s hard for me to explain but I feel like some pickups have a small swell or bloom when playing whereas the Jupiter is right there and doesn’t have that effect.

I know this description is probably not very scientific but I like the pickups, not sure I would have sourced and payed for the SD custom shop to wind this set but since they came in the guitar I think they are really great with no plan to change them out.

One final thought is that I normally play with low gain and only use a boost for heavier tones, the Jupiter is not just one trick pony. They sound great at that mid gain level as well. A bit too hot for my tastes on cleans.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IronSean

Reaction score
For me it sounds like, without being very detailed, the Jupiter has a ton more mids than the Dimebucker, and that's easy because the Dimebucker is scooped, very much indeed.
I can see the Jupiter working better for lead work and for modern djent tones...

I never liked the Dimebucker except for Pantera's tones BUT lately I am enjoying crispier pickups but I need mids to cut thru... but the Jupiter, while in paper it looked perfect, in that demo compared to the Dimebucker it might be a bit too much mid forward for the tone I want... Sounds to me like you have engaged an EQ with boosted 800Hz to 2000Hz all the time... I don't mind a bit in the 1200Hz area for a clearer sound but ALL the time...

I will keep an eye for different comparisons as I might be again hunting a new pickup for the same fucking guitar... This is neverending... might just change the guitar but it plays so good...

One thing to keep in mind is that he likely dialed one tone to try and suit both those pickups. Given they're voiced so differently, the dimebucker is probably more scooped than it would be dialing alone, and the Jupiter is possibly more mid-forward than it would be dialed alone.

IronSean

Reaction score
I just installed a set of the 6s in a my Jackson RR1 over the long weekend. Definitely a bit of mid grind. I also got a set of Black Winters that just arrived, and a Duncan Liberator. And I'll try and get some comparisons and thoughts between them and other pickups I have on hand (EMG 81, EMG 57/66, EMG HetSet, JB, '59 Bridge, Custom 5, Jupiters, Black Winters, Distortion 8s, Loller Imperial High Winds, Jackson J80) to post in here, because I definitely would have appreciated it when deciding if I should try them.

Only problem right now is the RR1 had 250k pots unbeknownst to me. (It has the 80s/90s Jackson brand pickups with a mid boost preamp, which apparently included a 250k Vol, 250k Tone, and a 50k mid boost pot). With the 250k vol/tone and a 3-way "north coils/humbucker/south coils" switch (that I intended to be Inner/Hum/Outer but misinterpreted a diagram) they were pretty muddy and muffled. Deleting the Tone for just the 250k volume is better, but I've gotta get some 500k pots to really let them breath before I do any true comparisons or clips.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I just installed a set of the 6s in a my Jackson RR1 over the long weekend. Definitely a bit of mid grind. I also got a set of Black Winters that just arrived, and a Duncan Liberator. And I'll try and get some comparisons and thoughts between them and other pickups I have on hand (EMG 81, EMG 57/66, EMG HetSet, JB, '59 Bridge, Custom 5, Jupiters, Black Winters, Distortion 8s, Loller Imperial High Winds, Jackson J80) to post in here, because I definitely would have appreciated it when deciding if I should try them.

Only problem right now is the RR1 had 250k pots unbeknownst to me. (It has the 80s/90s Jackson brand pickups with a mid boost preamp, which apparently included a 250k Vol, 250k Tone, and a 50k mid boost pot). With the 250k vol/tone and a 3-way "north coils/humbucker/south coils" switch (that I intended to be Inner/Hum/Outer but misinterpreted a diagram) they were pretty muddy and muffled. Deleting the Tone for just the 250k volume is better, but I've gotta get some 500k pots to really let them breath before I do any true comparisons or clips.

I'm curious to how it stacks against the HetSet.

Zhysick

Reaction score
^^^^ That sounds phenomenal.

But I don't mind the pickups there, I just fucking want that guitar. So amazing.

And probably his best playing ever (I haven't checked all his videos, just a few). Sounds soooooo soulful and... just slow and sweet. Really great.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
^^^^ That sounds phenomenal.

But I don't mind the pickups there, I just fucking want that guitar. So amazing.

And probably his best playing ever (I haven't checked all his videos, just a few). Sounds soooooo soulful and... just slow and sweet. Really great.
his cover of sleepwalking is still one of my favorites. Similar vein to what he did with Layla here.

IronSean

Reaction score
I put a set in my Jackson RR1 recently. I haven't put it solidly through it's paces yet, but the bridge offers a lot of clarity, some mid focus, but still some tight depth. The Neck doesn't sound as good as the pickup it replaced (The Jackson J-80 it came stock with), but that neck pickup was a pickup where every time I played clean I went "wow, this sounds phenomenal clean" so it's not a fair comparison.

noob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Do you have any news about these Jupiters? I'm really interested with these pickups but I can't find enough info and I can't really decide for Jupiters or Black winters. Do you guys have any advice?

IronSean

Reaction score
Do you have any news about these Jupiters? I'm really interested with these pickups but I can't find enough info and I can't really decide for Jupiters or Black winters. Do you guys have any advice?

I ended up lending the guitar with them in it to a friend before pandemic related things locked everything down, so I've been without it since shortly after installing them. He's liking them though.

noob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ended up getting something else, but yeah I'd still be curious to try it out.

I've just installed them and played them. These Jupiters sounds like nothing i have already heard before. They have their very own voice, which is very mid focused, super tight bass and glassy highs. Lots of clarity, dynamics and note definition are going on with these pickups, you can play 7h, 9th, etc chords or arpeggios and clearly hear every single note.
I also brought gain to 9 on my Rivera ktre just for the sake of it, but the Jupiter kept being cool and manageable while other pickups become muddy as hell.

Regarding heavy palm muting riff, they don't have that bass stomp like suicide silence breakdowns but still, they do not fall short in that area. You can pull off crazy downpicking chugs with very solid and tight bass response. Also it squeals like the dimebucker, pinch harmonics everywhere.

Regarding leads, jupiter has lots of sustain and dynamics, it can really get out mellow sounds, screams, cryes and everything in between.

They're kinda cool even on clean channel. I've put a push/pull pot on my guitar to split them. Splitter jupiter are very cool, stratocaster territory.

So far, I'm really liking them. They do modern metal just well but they can also survive in old school situations but I'm still struggling a bit with amp eq. I need to spend some more time on it.

Anyway if I'd have to choose some words to describe jupiters, they'd be hi-fi, balanced, dynamics, so you've really gotta have your chops on point or you'll hear every little mistake.

Last edited:

lewis

Reaction score
i would still prefer the Dimebucker over these.

They pair well with onboard solutions like the EMG VMC, to help get some mids back in them (which is people's biggest gripe usually - they are too scooped)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've just installed them and played them. These Jupiters sounds like nothing i have already heard before. They have their very own voice, which is very mid focused, super tight bass and glassy highs. Lots of clarity, dynamics and note definition are going on with these pickups, you can play 7h, 9th, etc chords or arpeggios and clearly hear every single note.
I also brought gain to 9 on my Rivera ktre just for the sake of it, but the Jupiter kept being cool and manageable while other pickups become muddy as hell.

Regarding heavy palm muting riff, they don't have that bass stomp like suicide silence breakdowns but still, they do not fall short in that area. You can pull off crazy downpicking chugs with very solid and tight bass response. Also it squeals like the dimebucker, pinch harmonics everywhere.

Regarding leads, jupiter has lots of sustain and dynamics, it can really get out mellow sounds, screams, cryes and everything in between.

They're kinda cool even on clean channel. I've put a push/pull pot on my guitar to split them. Splitter jupiter are very cool, stratocaster territory.

So far, I'm really liking them. They do modern metal just well but they can also survive in old school situations but I'm still struggling a bit with amp eq. I need to spend some more time on it.

Anyway if I'd have to choose some words to describe jupiters, they'd be hi-fi, balanced, dynamics, so you've really gotta have your chops on point or you'll hear every little mistake.

One of my favorite pickups is the EMG 81 so I can defibitely deal with mid heavy. Definitely need to give these a shot one day then.