New to 8 string guitars - What to buy?

Whitechapelx

Reaction score
So I'm looking to pick up my first 8 string, and don't really know what to get or what to look for. I briefly played a couple RG8's and Hellraiser 8's at guitar center recently and wasn't that impressed - I'm sure they were not properly set up. So if anyone recommends a well priced (under or around $1000) please let me know! thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orsinium

Reaction score
Well you could get a carvin dc800 flat out for around $1000 although that would mean it would just be alder, flat paint(black, white, red etc.) and the standard options which would be a shame with all the beautiful figured tops they offer, but its still your best option for around $1000.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
With all these awesome models coming out from so many guitar companies, I'd wait a few weeks to see what transpires at NAMM and then ask this question again.

WaffleTheEpic

Banned
Reaction score

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
there are a few good quality esp 8's out there. ibanez has a few signature series 8's out there that i hear have some great tone.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
Ibanez say they're the leaders in 8 and they don't tend to lie ;)
well that is quite a claim to make, even for ibanez. its all a matter of opinion in my book. the guitar needs to have a good balance of tone and great looks. i personally think ibanez is a fairly limited company as far as look and tone.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
The RG8 is the best bang for your buck. That plus a quick pickup upgrade and you'll have a solid guitar for around $600 :yesway: The bridge is plain and simple, and all the hardware's not amazing but it's definitely fine. I don't think I've heard a bad thing about them yet. I have an RGA8, and my only real beef is the bridge and locking nut, which isn't on the RG8.

If you wanna spend a bit more (like $600-$800 stock) then look at some of the Schecters. The Damien Elite 8 is good for your dollar, and if you want the longer 28" scale, wait for the Damien Platinum 8 that Schecter just announced. Those have slightly better hardware, and will come stock with EMGs. Similar quality, just a different feel and slightly better features out of the box. (And bat inlays :ugh:)

Above that, barebones DC800 hands down.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i know they have some great schecter 8's out there. theres a pretty sick hellraiser used on guitarcenter.com thats an off white with black binding. really sick looking guitar and a fantastic one at that.

i agree a pickup upgrade is fairly necessary for the rg8, that would work well. for cheaper 8 strings stock your really limited to an rg8, or a schecter omen 8, which i believe would be better because it comes stock with emg active pickups i believe.

Whitechapelx

Reaction score
Totally gonna check out the Carvins for sure. Depending on the price ill probably order one. If not I'm gonna try out the RG8's. Anyone know how the 2228's are?

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Totally gonna check out the Carvins for sure. Depending on the price ill probably order one. If not I'm gonna try out the RG8's. Anyone know how the 2228's are?

Awesome, but honestly, the DC800 is going to be on par or better. You could spec out a DC800 with almost identical specs for hundreds of dollars less, and the quality would be as good or better.

IMHO, I'd do RG8 + pickups or DC800. If you do a DC800, consider spending the ~$100 extra and getting a 5 piece neck, whatever wood combo you do. It'll be sturdier and probably add a lot of longevity to its life :yesway:

NoMod

Reformed misanthrope
Reaction score

The 2228 is by far the best production 8 I have played - but I must note being in the uk I haven't tried a carvin...whether the 2228 is worth the money or not could fill many many pages of a very long thread but I dearly love my rg2228a - it feels, plays, looks and sounds amazing and I feel it was worth every penny...

Given To Fly

Reaction score
The 2228 is by far the best production 8 I have played - but I must note being in the uk I haven't tried a carvin...whether the 2228 is worth the money or not could fill many many pages of a very long thread but I dearly love my rg2228a - it feels, plays, looks and sounds amazing and I feel it was worth every penny...

I agree with everything written above expect I don't live in the U.K. I have played Carvins but not the DC800 so I can't comment on them. Before the RG8 came out my advice to potential 8 string buyers was "spend as much money as you can and buy the best." That basically meant an RG2228 or a custom built guitar. The reason I gave this advice was because my experiences with cheaper 8 strings would have kept me from ever buying one. 8 string guitars are a different animal compared to 6 and 7's.
Now I recommend the RG8 because it is really quite good for the price. Ibanez seems to be making their 8 string guitars very simple instruments which allows them to focus on quality. Having said that, you'll probably want to change the pickups, but I bet you'll never complain about the neck. ;)

schecter8

total noob!
Reaction score
being a lefty, my choices were super limited for an affordable 8 string, so i took a gamble and just ordered the Schecter OMen 8 after a pile of google research and a few opinions from my guitarists in my band. So far so good. But with limited experience and little to compare to, Im not sure if its amazing or not. lol. It definitely works for my noob level. Cheers, and good luck with your purchase.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
The RG8 is the best bang for your buck. That plus a quick pickup upgrade and you'll have a solid guitar for around $600 :yesway: The bridge is plain and simple, and all the hardware's not amazing but it's definitely fine. I don't think I've heard a bad thing about them yet. I have an RGA8, and my only real beef is the bridge and locking nut, which isn't on the RG8.

If you wanna spend a bit more (like $600-$800 stock) then look at some of the Schecters. The Damien Elite 8 is good for your dollar, and if you want the longer 28" scale, wait for the Damien Platinum 8 that Schecter just announced. Those have slightly better hardware, and will come stock with EMGs. Similar quality, just a different feel and slightly better features out of the box. (And bat inlays :ugh:)

Above that, barebones DC800 hands down.
My vote goes to a barebones DC800... Carvin.com : In Stock DC800 Eight-String Extended Scale Guitar Serial Number 110955
You CANNOT beat that guitar at this price. :)
RG8 for $600 is not worth it, imo.

You can get a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8 for $899 I think which will another amazing guitar.

The DC800 is definitely the way to go. Lots of guys prefer the DC800 over the RG2228 as well which costs quite a bit more. Just to show you what kind of bang for your buck you get for that black carvin i posted! :)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^^

He's right, bare bones Carvins are a lot of guitar for very little. I wouldn't fuss about with budget lines if that option is available (see live in North America)

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Awesome, but honestly, the DC800 is going to be on par or better. You could spec out a DC800 with almost identical specs for hundreds of dollars less, and the quality would be as good or better.

IMHO, I'd do RG8 + pickups or DC800. If you do a DC800, consider spending the ~$100 extra and getting a 5 piece neck, whatever wood combo you do. It'll be sturdier and probably add a lot of longevity to its life :yesway:
This! I forgot to add the 5-piece maple neck on my original order and paid the extra fee to get it added after! WORTH IT! I live in an area where the weather is all over the place. More sturdy neck is worth every penny :D