NGD: 2014 Schecter JL-7 - Pics & vid inside

iloki

Reaction score
Something must be wrong with me... I've bought a Schecter! :nuts:

I kid, I kid. Schecter has massively stepped up their game for 2014. I feel like the KM-7 and 2014 JL-7 are incredible value for the money. Where else can you get solid set neck construction, a nice trem, luminlay fret markers, 5 piece necks and stainless steel frets for ~$1000?

You might be able to get a barebones Carvin with SS frets around that price, but it'd be close.

As someone who has steadily grown away from EMG's and more into passives, particularly DiMarzio and Bareknuckles... I love the 57/66 combo. EMG has come a long way and has definitely been listening to their customers and paying attention to the market. These really seem to be the best of both worlds. They have a very passive feel to them while retaining that trademark EMG character.

The floyd came setup EXTREMELY tight, with 4 springs attached. Took a lot of effort to do anything with the bar, forget about flutters lol

rearranged the springs and removed one entirely, still pretty tight, but better now than it was. Setup was quick and pretty painless, as I am used to working with floating trems.

The satin finish on the back of the neck feels awesome, and the binding on the fretboard and around the headstock is perfect so far as my untrained eyes can tell. The maple fretboard looks awesome in its new, non McMaple finish :)
The frets.. stainless. 'nuf said. Fret dressing looks really nice and there aren't any sharp edges at all.

Action was set very nicely out of the box, and only the D string was slightly out of tune because the locking block was not quite tight enough.

Honestly. I have one moderately major problem with it. Guitar Center ordered the wrong color. I ordered Vampyre Red Satin, and they sent me the gloss black instead. I *almost* don't even care. They're letting me keep this one while they try and get a red one. If I found out that it's heavily backordered and it'll be a month+ before I can get the one I originally wanted, I'm just gonna keep this one. It's really, really sexy in black tbh, and I don't have a proper black superstrat in my lineup yet lol.

Anyways, here's what you all really want -
10156077_10100570724186102_840658910029306854_n.jpg

10177507_10100570724151172_5248915569939563839_n.jpg

10269616_10100570724101272_7507695566582881535_n.jpg

What's this?
1922132_10100570724056362_4283546162684963815_n.jpg

Ooooooo! :bowdown:
10308730_10100570724006462_2476840847803719582_n.jpg

Update! - Shitty video!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score
Happy NGD!! They HAVE stepped their game up big time. I hadn't had any interest in purchasing a Schecter since I bought my Blackjack several years ago. No interest at all. Saw the KM-7, and knew I had to have it. Still waiting for it to get to the dealer, though. :(

But that one is sick! Clips!!

iloki

Reaction score
Happy NGD!! They HAVE stepped their game up big time. I hadn't had any interest in purchasing a Schecter since I bought my Blackjack several years ago. No interest at all. Saw the KM-7, and knew I had to have it. Still waiting for it to get to the dealer, though. :(

But that one is sick! Clips!!

Thanks!

I was pretty much the same. A few years back I moved to Ibanez, gave/loaned my 007 Elite to a friend that I know would baby it (I still love that thing.. just isn't comfortable for me to play) and really prefer the thinner necks on my Ibanez's and Carvin.

It wasn't until I heard about this and the KM-7 that I started seriously looking at Schecter again, since these use the new SLS neck profile, and that is extremely similar to the profile on my Carvin. It's a thin sort of C shape, as opposed to the flatter D shape on the Ibanez necks.

And I will see what I can do about clips lol :)

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Congrats dude! Couldn't agree more with you on every single point you made. Same situation here and I took a chance on the JLFR and have been hugely impressed! And same with the EMGs too, what awesome pickups! I'm just trying to move a couple of my Ibanez guitars so I can add the same black you've got there to my Red JL! Hahaha! You can't own a JL and not at least have one of them in Bb standard right?!

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Gloss black normally isn't my thing (can't stand all the fingerprints), but man does it ever look sexy on that guitar! Especially since they got rid of the McMaple, it's a really nice contrast. :yesway: Happy NGD!

iloki

Reaction score
Congrats dude! Couldn't agree more with you on every single point you made. Same situation here and I took a chance on the JLFR and have been hugely impressed! And same with the EMGs too, what awesome pickups! I'm just trying to move a couple of my Ibanez guitars so I can add the same black you've got there to my Red JL! Hahaha! You can't own a JL and not at least have one of them in Bb standard right?!

lol! This one is going to be setup with better strings in Ab standard as soon as I find out what's happening with getting a red one instead.

Problem is -- I'm in a place where I like *and* play all of my guitars regularly.. I don't want to sell any of them, or I might be trying to get a second lol.

Gloss black normally isn't my thing (can't stand all the fingerprints), but man does it ever look sexy on that guitar! Especially since they got rid of the McMaple, it's a really nice contrast. :yesway: Happy NGD!

Thanks!
It definitely isn't normally my thing either, but I agree, something about it just looks right on this guitar lol.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
So seriously, how does the quality hold up against other guitars in your experience. It is a lot of great features for the price (i am set on a KM7 myself) but the price is spot on so my inner cynic believes they are cutting corners somewhere!

#TrustIssues

ErkerAsylum

Reaction score
Looking good. The improvements they made to his updated model are awesome. I have the old one in the Red with a Floyd but man.... I wish i waited like a year to pick up the new one. Gratz man!

iloki

Reaction score
So seriously, how does the quality hold up against other guitars in your experience. It is a lot of great features for the price (i am set on a KM7 myself) but the price is spot on so my inner cynic believes they are cutting corners somewhere!

#TrustIssues

100% honesty it's up there with my DC700. Better than my RG7420's (I have 2)
Not quite as nice as my Skervesen, but that's got an assymetrical neck profile and fanned frets.. not really a fair comparison lol

also, I have a video that I'll be uploading shortly

Video added the to first post :)

ddk

Reaction score
Sucks you didn't get the color you ordered, but that gloss black is classy as F! :hbang:

I received my red one with a fixed bridge hipshot yesterday. Still in the testing out/getting to know you phase, but my first impressions are extremely positive. Great axe.

HNGD! :shred:

SkyIllusion

Maine Music Teacher
Reaction score
Oh man... This thing is sleek. I'm not normally a fan of Schecters bit these 2014 Models all seem fantastic.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score

#TrustIssues

On par with Prestige level Ibbys. My JL is for sure.

TheMobGoesWild

Adjust My Pants
Reaction score

Since this fiddle and the KM-7 are VERY similar guitars in terms of build quality and specs, this statement isn't helping my GAS nor my patience one iota. :fawk:

When I get it in my head that I need/want something, have it on order, and should receive it any day, it's like I'm 5 years old trying to sleep on Christmas Eve.

iloki

Reaction score

I've never actually played a Prestige Ibby, but I've played quite a few other high end axes.. and I would put this up against any of them in fit & finish and playability.

I meant it when I said Schecter has really stepped up their game. They could sell these for the same that Prestige Ibby's go for and I don't think it would have stopped me from buying it. Its honestly that good.

Splenetic

Reaction score
I've never actually played a Prestige Ibby, but I've played quite a few other high end axes.. and I would put this up against any of them in fit & finish and playability.

I meant it when I said Schecter has really stepped up their game. They could sell these for the same that Prestige Ibby's go for and I don't think it would have stopped me from buying it. Its honestly that good.

Please don't say that out loud... Someone at Schecter is gonna see it, and by next year the price will be jacked up accordingly. =/

CADAVERTOUCHER

SCHECTERCOLLECTOR
Reaction score
I have sent back 2 of the 2014 JL-7Fr's because of the trem cavity being routed way to big. Also the trem on both were mounted crooked. I love schecter guitars but all of the 2014 models I have come in contact with had massive QC issues yet still played and sounded great. So I suggest after receiving your 2014 schecter check it over massively it will not be perfect.

Evergrey

Reaction score
I have sent back 2 of the 2014 JL-7Fr's because of the trem cavity being routed way to big. Also the trem on both were mounted crooked. I love schecter guitars but all of the 2014 models I have come in contact with had massive QC issues yet still played and sounded great. So I suggest after receiving your 2014 schecter check it over massively it will not be perfect.

All the Schecters I own were routed too small for trem.
I had to make routing bigger to be able to remove the trem without removing the strings or mounting studs wich is a must for me because it saves a lot of time when doing adjustments and maintenance.

What is the disadvantage of "way too big routing"?
Never seen such a thing.