NGD: Chapman Ghost Fret

• Thread starter ExtremophileElite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
*MORE SIGNIFICANT UPDATE*

I received a PM from the man that I was told to contact over at the Chapman Forums. He apparently works at Andertons and has direct contact with Rob:

"They've always supposed to have hipshot style bridges, just the wording on the spec sheet that's given out to dealers is wrong by the sounds of it!"

He also added publicly:

'Nope, spec said hipshot style bridge! I've spoken to the powers that be to get things worded better"

This is exactly what I was expecting to hear. The thing that throws all of this off is the hilarious talk about meeting with Hipshot to straighten everything up. If they're going to take that long to respond, why lie? The truth wasn't unpredictable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
I may have missed it in the thread but, is the current bridge thats on there causing any problems? Or does it function just fine?

deftones-88

Reaction score
*MORE SIGNIFICANT UPDATE*

"They've always supposed to have hipshot style bridges, just the wording on the spec sheet that's given out to dealers is wrong by the sounds of it!"

Just as I suspected. Rough deal. It is still perceived as false advertising but I think the best you'll get is either send the guitar back for a refund or make do. :ugh:

austink

Reaction score
I find it interesting how different sources all come back with different answers. The meeting with hipshot makes zero sense considering hipshot is not the ones putting the bridge on the guitars. The other reply saying it is a typo is even lamer! That is a hardtail bridge, saying it is hipshot style is shady marketing. Even if the guitar is good, I would return that thing out of principal. I never had an interest in chapman guitars, but after this I will actively tell people to look elsewhere if they are interested.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
"... just the wording on the spec sheet that's given out to dealers is wrong by the sounds of it!"

And your own website!

Something I don't get is- if these guitars are supposed to be the same tier, quality-wise then why are the parts not of the same variety? I get that there's some extra this-and-that that's gone into the development and manufacture of some of the models, but this mix and match .... makes the whole line seem inconsistent. Take a slightly smaller profit (yeah right!) on those models so they don't seem to be a value variant.

ZERO1

Reaction score
Hey actually made an account on the other site just for our thread. The guy that works for Andertons pissed me off. Saying hipshot style bridge bs. So i posted a screen cap of the official site where it says hipshot bridge clearly. You are gathering support now as it seems.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Also, they call it something else on the pages for other models that have it. Giving it a "Chapman something-or-other" name isn't completely fantastic, but at least it's not misuse of someone else's brand.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
I find it interesting how different sources all come back with different answers. The meeting with hipshot makes zero sense considering hipshot is not the ones putting the bridge on the guitars. The other reply saying it is a typo is even lamer! That is a hardtail bridge, saying it is hipshot style is shady marketing. Even if the guitar is good, I would return that thing out of principal. I never had an interest in chapman guitars, but after this I will actively tell people to look elsewhere if they are interested.

Yeah this just doesn't add up. They really have no reason to talk to Hipshot at all unless it was at the request of Hipshot, but then even a simple call/email would have sufficed.

I really don't want to return the guitar. Could something happen that makes me change my mind? Possibly - but not yet.

Hey actually made an account on the other site just for our thread. The guy that works for Andertons pissed me off. Saying hipshot style bridge bs. So i posted a screen cap of the official site where it says hipshot bridge clearly. You are gathering support now as it seems.

Again, thanks for the support. I am glad others are starting to question this as well.

Also, the claim that the strap locks possibly are not Schaller is interesting. I never looked at them because all of my guitars get a DiMarzio ClipLock.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I really don't want to return the guitar. Could something happen that makes me change my mind? Possibly - but not yet.

Are you that upset with the current bridge? Has anyone checked to see if an actual Hipshot is a retro-fit? I get that they're not handling this well, but if you like the guitar I hope you don't return it just to prove a point.
You can search through any forum and find that nearly every company is guilty of flubbing details on the specs and that's doubly true for retailers. I can't imagine what it would look like if people trusted the sales people at GC or SA. The only difference here really is that Rob is so directly involved with the promotion of his brand and it clearly comes from his internet "fame", so it's easier to hold him personally accountable, but either you like the guitar or you don't. I don't think there are any guitar companies that haven't done this kind of thing, most often unintentionally even though it's an obvious untruth.

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
Damn... sounds like you arent going to win this one.
Win what? Chapman doesn't own OP anything. If anyone bought this guitar for the sole reason of getting a guitar with a hipshot bridge, they probably would have seen on all the photos that this isn't one.

I get that Chapman guitars are in the wrong regarding their spec-listing but I really doubt it was intentional. I also kind of understand some of the frustrations but as someone said earlier, it has gone too far IMO. I don't think Chapman priced the guitar as if it was equipped with a Hipshot so I don' really see a valid reason for a refund. I also don't think the guy who claimed it was a Hipshot over the phone meant to be decisive either, he probably had the same specs as the rest of us. I remember a few years ago, some guy at a guitar store claimed that some MII Jacksons were MIJ, things like this happens.

It is however good that Chapman took notice and hopefully are changing their spec-listings and I think, realistically, that is the best OP could have hoped for since I don't really see Chapman owing him anything except for an apology perhaps.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
Are you that upset with the current bridge? Has anyone checked to see if an actual Hipshot is a retro-fit? I get that they're not handling this well, but if you like the guitar I hope you don't return it just to prove a point.
You can search through any forum and find that nearly every company is guilty of flubbing details on the specs and that's doubly true for retailers. I can't imagine what it would look like if people trusted the sales people at GC or SA. The only difference here really is that Rob is so directly involved with the promotion of his brand and it clearly comes from his internet "fame", so it's easier to hold him personally accountable, but either you like the guitar or you don't. I don't think there are any guitar companies that haven't done this kind of thing, most often unintentionally even though it's an obvious untruth.

I wouldn't return the guitar to prove a point. If Chapman Guitars told me to get ....ed or something I could see myself maybe returning it. I would like to know if the Hipshot bridge would retro on there. Would also need to figure out what floor height. (I'm assuming .125'). Unfortunately I'm not good at making sense of the dimensions, so I might ask my local luthier.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't think there are any guitar companies that haven't done this kind of thing, most often unintentionally even though it's an obvious untruth.

I've seen Jackson and Fender do something like this. It's not uncommon.

The problem I see is that Chapman/their dealers are going through a ton of hoops just for something that could be a simple change.

When Musiciansfriend and Jackson made the mistake of making the JS 5-string basses 35'' on their spec sheets instead of 34'', people pointed this out and they fixed it. No excuses, to my knowledge.

When Schecter misprinted the brand of tuners on their page for a guitar (Don't remember exactly, but I think they were supposed to be Schecter-branded tuners, but ended up being Gotohs), they recieved an email from the buyer and told them it was their mistake and fixed it. There wasn't any meeting with Gotoh, it was a mistake they fixed immediately on their website.

I'm just saying that a bunch of this could have been avoided if they just changed the bridge on the spec sheet to a simple "hardtail" without the Hipshot branding. Why are there so many hoops to jump through just to re-label something on their website?

Also, what if the Hipshot branding is adding extra cost to the guitar? I doubt that may be happening, but what if there's a slight raise to the price of the guitar because the cost of a true Hipshot is being factored in, instead of the Chinese bridge?

ZERO1

Reaction score
Win what? Chapman doesn't own OP anything. If anyone bought this guitar for the sole reason of getting a guitar with a hipshot bridge, they probably would have seen on all the photos that this isn't one.

I get that Chapman guitars are in the wrong regarding their spec-listing but I really doubt it was intentional. I also kind of understand some of the frustrations but as someone said earlier, it has gone too far IMO. I don't think Chapman priced the guitar as if it was equipped with a Hipshot so I don' really see a valid reason for a refund. I also don't think the guy who claimed it was a Hipshot over the phone meant to be decisive either, he probably had the same specs as the rest of us. I remember a few years ago, some guy at a guitar store claimed that some MII Jacksons were MIJ, things like this happens.

It is however good that Chapman took notice and hopefully are changing their spec-listings and I think, realistically, that is the best OP could have hoped for since I don't really see Chapman owing him anything except for an apology perhaps.
It's the principle of the matter. When you buy a product you expect everything advertised to be true. Now the guitar has been out for a good while this should have been fixed long ago. With that said a member on the chapman forum just pointed out that the schaller strap locks may not be authentic either.

vansinn

Reaction score
Nice looking axe, and seemingly well build too.

What is the black neck-rest thingy? Brand, links, pretty please..

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
^Yeah I get that but what would really be accomplished by doing so? Sending Chapman a message? I get the feeling that this thread along with the one on their forum will suffice in doing so. I think the fact that Chapman himself apparently got notified and by the sound of it is going to change the description to be accurate is good, I don't see what else they can or should do.

I understand were a lot of you are coming from and I respect that, I just don't agree. By all means return the guitar if principle is more important than a having the guitar you wanted and bought. I get that, I really do, I just don't think there is anything more to this situation now that Chapman hopefully is going to change their description and OP seems to like the guitar.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just be happy if they apologized and updated the spec sheet accordingly. I don't even think there's a real need to reimburse money, considering you got some nice pickups in place of the junkers.

Talking in circles is just irritating... If the spec sheet says "hipshot bridge," and it's not a hipshot bridge, you apologize to whoever called you on it and fix it.

This exact thing happened to Senor Voorhees on this board with Kiesel. The Aeries said it came stock with SS frets, but if selected it would bump the price up like SS frets normally do. He emailed Chris, who apologized, offered them as advertised (no up charge) and the site has been fixed. All within a few hours, even.

I understand Chapman is a smaller brand and it takes longer to get in touch with them. The fact is that now it has clearly made it's rounds to the higher powers and things haven't been changed yet. It's weird, to say the least. If I can't count on them to get back to me on small issues like this, why would I trust buying a guitar sight unseen from them?

ZERO1

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just be happy if they apologized and updated the spec sheet accordingly. I don't even think there's a real need to reimburse money, considering you got some nice pickups in place of the junkers.

Talking in circles is just irritating... If the spec sheet says "hipshot bridge," and it's not a hipshot bridge, you apologize to whoever called you on it and fix it.

This exact thing happened to Senor Voorhees on this board with Kiesel. The Aeries said it came stock with SS frets, but if selected it would bump the price up like SS frets normally do. He emailed Chris, who apologized, offered them as advertised (no up charge) and the site has been fixed. All within a few hours, even.

I understand Chapman is a smaller brand and it takes longer to get in touch with them. The fact is that now it has clearly made it's rounds to the higher powers and things haven't been changed yet. It's weird, to say the least. If I can't count on them to get back to me on small issues like this, why would I trust buying a guitar sight unseen from them?
Exactly. Most of us will need to buy these guitar online without having played them. Most of us don't live in a area with an authorized chapman dealer. So when I go on a authorized dealer site and I see the specs I expect them to true.