NGD: Chapman Ghost Fret

• Thread starter ExtremophileElite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
And, as said before, even big companies get the specs wrong from time to time. You can expect all you want, but .... like this happens often. If the specs stay like this for a long time after this whole ordeal, then yea, they deserve the flak. This may have been the first time it's been brought to their attention.

I don't get the pitchfork mob mentality over something this small. OP seems to dig his guitar, chapman has been notified.

If you're buying online, get them from someone that knows what they're talking about. You can also clearly see that the bridge isn't a hipshot, so regardless of what the specs say, you would be able to figure that one out. Buying ANYTHING online is a risk, from cheap beaters to customs, plenty of evidence for that on these boards.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Chapman guitars doesn't owe people a thing needs to have their heads checked.

It was false advertising plain and simple. Often the only thing that causes people to buy one guitar over another of similar quality is purely down to spec. Chapman guitars are profiting from using the hipshot name in its adverting.

To the people who think that consumers should know better and be able to spot the difference between the bridges straight away; you should realise hat the burden is on the company, not the consumer, to have an accurate spec list. There is a reason false advertising is illegal.

Chapman guitars should offer to send out a real deal hip shot to those affected who simply want what they were advertised, and what they paid money for. If they did so I don't think anyone would have any qualms about the company. Making a mistake is perfectly fine as long as you own up take responsibility for it.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on one of their basses but this whole thing has destroyed my trust in the brand.

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Chapman guitars doesn't owe people a thing needs to have their heads checked.

It was false advertising plain and simple. Often the only thing that causes people to buy one guitar over another of similar quality is purely down to spec. Chapman guitars are profiting from using the hipshot name in its adverting.

To the people who think that consumers should know better and be able to spot the difference between the bridges straight away; you should realise hat the burden is on the company, not the consumer, to have an accurate spec list. There is a reason false advertising is illegal.

Chapman guitars should offer to send out a real deal hip shot to those affected who simply want what they were advertised, and what they paid money for. If they did so I don't think anyone would have any qualms about the company. Making a mistake is perfectly fine as long as you own up take responsibility for it.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on one of their basses but this whole thing has destroyed my trust in the brand.

But what if an original Hipshot doesn't fit the route? If they had like a big banner advertising the Hipshot hardware, then I would agree with you but I think that someone made a mistake somewhere down the line and the listing probably ment to say "Hipshot-style" or something and someone made a mistake, it happens. I really don't see how sending people a new bridge would do any good. As I said, I don't think the pricing is accounted for an original Hipshot so I don't belive that they are making a profit of the spec-error alone. It sucks if people buy this guitar expecting a proper Hipshot but as said, if you were the you probably would know how they looked.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
But what if an original Hipshot doesn't fit the route? If they had like a big banner advertising the Hipshot hardware, then I would agree with you but I think that someone made a mistake somewhere down the line and the listing probably ment to say "Hipshot-style" or something and someone made a mistake, it happens. I really don't see how sending people a new bridge would do any good. As I said, I don't think the pricing is accounted for an original Hipshot so I don't belive that they are making a profit of the spec-error alone. It sucks if people buy this guitar expecting a proper Hipshot but as said, if you were the you probably would know how they looked.

That's not the consumers problem as they didn't make the mistake, it was the manufacturer.

Have people become so used to being screwed over that the mere idea of a company taking responsibility for its own mistake is an alien concept?

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
That's not the consumers problem as they didn't make the mistake, it was the manufacturer.

Have people become so used to being screwed over that the mere idea of a company taking responsibility for its own mistake is an alien concept?

Sending out a new part that may not fit the guitar isn't to take responsibility IMO. Adresseing the issue by correcting the description is.

People almost treat this as the Bernie Rico JR deal or the S7G wormhole Boden.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Sending out a new part that may not fit the guitar isn't to take responsibility IMO. Adresseing the issue by correcting the description is.

People almost treat this as the Bernie Rico JR deal or the S7G wormhole Boden.

Correcting the description is not taking responsibility for mistakes already made - it's only preventing this mistake from happening again in the future.

If the legit hipshot bridge doesn't fit, the only other way to take responsibility would be to do a partial refund: The value of a hip shot bridge minus the value of this Chinese bridge.

I know it would be a big hit for a small company like Chapman, but again it was their mistake, and I don't think its unreasonable for them to take responsibility for it.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
...If you're buying online, get them from someone that knows what they're talking about. You can also clearly see that the bridge isn't a hipshot, so regardless of what the specs say, you would be able to figure that one out

I can only assume that Riff City Guitars copy the specs that Chapman Guitars give them. Their product knowledge is not in question. They are just the middleman, the messenger if you will. As I stated before, I only knew of the Hipshot name, and had a general understanding that they put out quality products. Never did I inspect one, or ever look at one close up. I received this guitar as a gift because my wife knew I liked the way they looked. If it were something I were actually considering I probably would have done more research. Before I ever knew I was going to get one I looked at their website, saw the specs and then went to YouTube to watch Rob Chapman himself demo it and call the bridge Hipshot. If I did more homework would have I caught that the bridge was different? No guarantee. Like many people have said before, a spec sheet should be the definitive answer.

...It was false advertising plain and simple. Often the only thing that causes people to buy one guitar over another of similar quality is purely down to spec. Chapman guitars are profiting from using the hipshot name in its adverting.... Making a mistake is perfectly fine as long as you own up take responsibility for it.

Name brands clearly build value to guitars. Heck, I didn't know a thing about Hipshot other than what I heard/gathered and I thought it helped justify the price they were asking. I am a new car salesman. Building value is how I sell a car. I'm not selling a price or a payment, I'm selling the value of all the features and products on a car to justify what we are asking for. Also, I promise I have lost money because I wrote a price wrong or heard my manager incorrectly, but still stuck to my word because that is what I said I'd do. It's customer service 101.

...As I said, I don't think the pricing is accounted for an original Hipshot so I don't belive that they are making a profit of the spec-error alone.

They might not be profiting, but they are building their value and probably selling more guitars because people think they are getting name brand stuff on there.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
This may have been the first time it's been brought to their attention.
Definitely not. Like I said earlier in the thread I have told them about the error before. I've commented on all the videos they've (Chappers and Lee) made of the thing + on two of their Facebook posts telling them that this is not a Hipshot. But it seems like they only pay attention to the first day or two of comments on their stuff, and I don't generally have to check out that stuff immediately after it's posted. You'll notice I was the one who started all of this crap in this very thread.

I haven't been dogging them about it because I was never really in the market for one of their models because of my current financial situation, but you can be damned sure I'd have cleared it up before making a purchase. I am not the most talented player, but I have an eye for specs and I didn't make it one picosecond into the first prototype video teasers before I had determined that the bridge was just that standard China number.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
Definitely not. Like I said earlier in the thread I have told them about the error before. I've commented on all the videos they've (Chappers and Lee) made of the thing + on two of their Facebook posts telling them that this is not a Hipshot. But it seems like they only pay attention to the first day or two of comments on their stuff, and I don't generally have to check out that stuff immediately after it's posted. You'll notice I was the one who started all of this crap in this very thread.

I haven't been dogging them about it because I was never really in the market for one of their models because of my current financial situation, but you can be damned sure I'd have cleared it up before making a purchase. I am not the most talented player, but I have an eye for specs and I didn't make it one picosecond into the first prototype video teasers before I had determined that the bridge was just that standard China number.
Well, I appreciate you bringing it to my attention to begin with. I guess you can at least find solace in that you were the catalyst that got this whole thing rolling.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
All of this^

This is like seriously out of proportion.

What's out of proportion? That the OP emailed the store and Chapman? Or that there are 8 people on the internet talking about it? Cuz those are both HUGELY out of proportion things! Everyone stop talking about the militia taking over the wildlife building, there's a guy on the Internet that is trying to figure out what part he has on his guitar, and possibly getting the company to change their specs! OH MY GOD!

Man, I personally think it's cool that the OP is taking the time out of his schedule to help Chapman and future buyers of this guitar. What the hell is wrong with that? I think it's awesome. In my opinion this gives the guitar store and Chapman a chance to do some cool customer service, like send him a t-shirt, make an apology, etc. But who knows if they will.

What would be out of proportion is to file a class action lawsuit or make a webpage dedicated to this. A few emails? Totally normal.

exo

Reaction score
I think the whole "out of proportion" thing might just be a reference to the 9 page ....storm over a mis-worded spec sheet.

I myself have found some of the more vehement outrage rather entertaining :lol: (that's not to say OP doesn't have a right to be miffed.....just that I've got an odd sense of humor)

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
This thread is an endless loop:

"Why are you making such an issue out of it?"
"It's not as advertised."
"But I don't think band name hardtails are important."
"But it was advertised as such and I paid money for it."
"Well OK then."

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
This thread is an endless loop:

"It's not as advertised."
"But I don't think band name hardtails are important."
"But it was advertised as such and I paid money for it."
"Well OK then."

I for one just want to see manufacturers taking responsibility for their cock ups.

ZERO1

Reaction score
Any update to this thread? I don't want it to die without any type of response....

ZERO1

Reaction score
Not as of yet. NAMM runs until Sunday I believe, so I will follow up with everyone on Monday.
Ok cool. By the way if you check the chapman forum your thread has gotten a lot of momentum. A lot of people are asking for answers as well. So we spread awareness.:yesway:

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
Ok cool. By the way if you check the chapman forum your thread has gotten a lot of momentum. A lot of people are asking for answers as well. So we spread awareness.:yes way:
Oh I haven't checked it in awhile. I was getting email notifications every time someone posted but I guess that stopped. I'll hop on there now. Thanks.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
H(late)NGD, I've been wanting one of these myself. About the "hipshot", you probably won't get an answer until after NAMM ends and Chapman is back at home in England. Honestly the bridge that is on it seems fine, but they should correct the description and do something to make it right with the people who already bought one, for their own credibility more than the sake of their customers (because I honestly don't think it makes a huge difference; the problem is about honesty).

And as for Rob Chapman himself, I don't see why he gets so much hate. Jealous, much? I met him in person and he was a super chill, nice guy.