NGD: Chapman Ghost Fret

• Thread starter ExtremophileElite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Why not just call it a "Chapman Hardtail" or "Chapman Fixed Bridge"? Both ESP and Schecter do that on their non-Hipshot guitars.

EDIT: I shouldn't give Rabea a hard time. He isn't exactly a salesperson, plus I don't really think he's a Chapman employee, just an endorsee and friend/bandmate of Chappers. Usually Lee and Chappers should know the specs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
Wow. Korean Hipshot. im calling BS on that. If that were true, Chapman Guitars and Hipshot would have been able to tell me right away. This pisses me off. Why can't they just admit they screwed up?

ZERO1

Reaction score
Wow. Korean Hipshot. im calling BS on that. If that were true, Chapman Guitars and Hipshot would have been able to tell me right away. This pisses me off. Why can't they just admit they screwed up?
Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but a korean hipshot doesn't exist. If they do I did not find them on their site. Floyd rose has all the models listed that is made with their name on them. Also I agree 100% with you. Hope they contact you soon.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It doesn't. All of Hipshot's stuff is USA-made. They don't import anything.

I'm gonna give Rabea the benifit of the doubt and assume it was a slip of the tongue. He isn't much of a marketing person like Chappers and Lee and I guess, like most people, he assumes that hardtail = Hipshot.

Now, if that was Chappers or Lee saying that, then that would be ....ty of them.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score

They probably will. They have been on tour in the West Coast doing publicity for the brand, and then at NAMM for the duration of this controversy / issue. They haven't had time to respond in any way about this, they probably don't even know about it yet. I don't think Chappers would try to profit by calling it a hipshot and then putting a cheaper bridge on it; I'm sure it was just a communication or factory error, which they should and most likely will apolagize for and correct it somehow (probably just by stopping marketing it as a hipshot). But people need to give them enough time to actually do that, and at NAMM, that's something they dont have.

austink

Reaction score
like most people, he assumes that hardtail = Hipshot.

:scratch: I would guess that 75%+ of guitar players would refer to that bridge as a hardtail bridge and not a hipshot. It is a similar idea to ford making f150 trucks, but not all trucks are an f150. If you show someone a chevy silverado I am pretty sure they would call it a chevy truck, not a "chevy f150".

potatohead

Reaction score
:scratch: I would guess that 75%+ of guitar players would refer to that bridge as a hardtail bridge and not a hipshot. It is a similar idea to ford making f150 trucks, but not all trucks are an f150. If you show someone a chevy silverado I am pretty sure they would call it a chevy truck, not a "chevy f150".

Agreed

culexknight

Reaction score
@OP: I hope yours was at least set-up correctly. Mine would not stay in-tune without a major setup across the board when I got mine. Totally thinking on flipping it...

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
@OP: I hope yours was at least set-up correctly. Mine would not stay in-tune without a major setup across the board when I got mine. Totally thinking on flipping it...
Right out of the box mine was not perfect. For some reason the saddle on the G string was as far back as it could go. I also saw a YouTube unboxing video where the recipient of the Ghost Fret also had the same issue. I also had slight tuning issues for a little while, but the issue seemed to resolve itself after a few hours of playing. I'm thinking they were nut related, but I could be wrong.

ZERO1

Reaction score
any update? it has been quite a while now. hope they have gotten back to you.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
any update? it has been quite a while now. hope they have gotten back to you.

On Monday, I sent an email to my contact at Hipshot. I asked how the meeting at NAMM went and told him about the 'Korean Hipshot' business. He replied to me this morning:

"I met with them and they realized that they made a mistake. They are going to change this. We do not make any bridges in Korea."

Still nothing from Chapman Guitars.

ZERO1

Reaction score
On Monday, I sent an email to my contact at Hipshot. I asked how the meeting at NAMM went and told him about the 'Korean Hipshot' business. He replied to me this morning:

"I met with them and they realized that they made a mistake. They are going to change this. We do not make any bridges in Korea."

send another email this is ridiculous how they have not responded. Also update the other thread on the chapman site.

rewihendrix

Reaction score
such an easy fix for them too.

Update the website, send an email to the distributors, and advertise on your site a free strap or set of strings or something for anyone who purchase that guitar (through the distribution channel, obviously). Reinburse distributors accordingly.

Or something similar.

ZERO1

Reaction score
This is a quote from a member from the chapman forums who owns a ghost fret.

"Sorry to add more fuel to the flame, but the "Schaller Straplocks" included are absolutely not Schaller. I've had these on many guitars and they always have a nice weight to them and are stamped saying made in Germany on them( at least every one ive had says this) The ones included feel very light, no markings on them and the black paint literally rubbed off onto my hands when I installed them. My fingers were black. Never happened with real Schallers."

So the ghost fret doesn't have a hipshot nor real schaller straplocks.

Bucks

Reaction score

Hipshot, a company proud to still be able to stamp on their products, Made in the USA...."Korean Hipshot"... thats hilarious, and disgraceful of chapman guitars.

downburst82

Reaction score
Yup and that's no Chapman for me ever :noway:

I've been waiting to see how this would unfold. It should have been sorted out within days..as mentioned Change the website and offer some sort of compensation to those that already purchased. Instead this has dragged on for a month and they still have done absolutely nothing..every day more potential customers seeing the fasle/mistaken specs buying based on that and creating a bigger problem for the company. Now with the revelation there are other parts which are not as claimed it seems less like a mistake and more like sketchy false advertising/bait and switch.