NGD: Doberman 9 string

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It's here! I got it last weekend, and just took pictures. It's raining outside, so no sun for good light. It took 4 months to build, and John emailed me every week with updates (as you know from the build thread).
Specs:
27-30" scale
Tuned C#1-E4
Black limba body
Black limba with purpleheart neck (thru)
Birdseye maple FB with black binding and inlay
Purple heart back HS cap
Burl maple top and HS cap
Lace Deathbars
250k pots
3 way switch
Tone, volume
Locking tuners

I can't say enough about how awesome John was to deal with through the process. And this instrument plays REALLY well. I think the .090 is too floppy, so I'll probably go to a .100", but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

For Lace guys, John put 250k pots in, because Lace recommends them, saying that the typical 500k pots give the pups too much brightness. I might switch these out to 500ks just to see, because I had to up the presence and highs on the amp to get it to sound like my other pups. But I'm pretty happy with the Lace sound.

On to the pics!

Fully body:

Pretty damn nice inlay and FB! I just now noticed I have to clean the FB already from my fingers at the 12th fret area.

Closeup of the stain on the top. Pretty 3D. Really nice in person:

Neat little carved out area to get high fret access:

I love the back cap:

The neck profile makes the neck seem smaller. Plays like buttah:

This is the crazy thing - look at how small it is compared to my BRJ 26.33" scale Jekyll. It's soooo manageable! (Note that the Jekyll has 27 frets, so it has a longer FB.)

Please use the space provided below to tell me how jealous you are. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
mr-t-crying.gif

But...
Specs:
10-27" scale

:eek: :scratch:

And I gotta ask, since I'm a Floyd devotee, how's the flutter on that Rico Jr? :D

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
That looks awesome. The horn on top though, I can see it now "Man disemboweled by guitar with too many strings, local news at 11." :lol:

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Congratulations on the beautiful instrument (can opener). I I followed the build posts quite a lot and I'm really digging the finish :agreed:

HNGD! Stay dry (I'm not)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
mr-t-crying.gif

But...

:eek: :scratch:

And I gotta ask, since I'm a Floyd devotee, how's the flutter on that Rico Jr? :D

:lol: I just corrected the scale length. 10-27" would be a pretty damn weird one, huh?

And the flutter on the OFR 7 is dreamy. SO nice.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That looks awesome. The horn on top though, I can see it now "Man disemboweled by guitar with too many strings, local news at 11." :lol:

:lol: Yeah, it actually took me a little bit of shifting around when I first sat down so it didn't disembowel me. The problem is the fan has me hunched over the guitar so I can try to figure out what fret I'm not. I'm been playing it a lot, so it's getting easier to know where I am, and I've figured out where I need to hold the guitar so I can play comfortably. I kind of go through the same thing every guitar I get. It takes me about a week to settle in. What's weird is how easily I adapted to the 9 string neck. I mean, I'm used to 8s, but it's still a beast. Totally manageable, though.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
congrats...that top finish is amazing!

by the looks of the band aid on your thumb, you've found the top horn on that guitar :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Cool Guitar. What are you stringing this with? is the C#1 a bass 6 string or a normal bass string?

Originally John was going to use Kaliums, but to they were delayed due to NAMM, or something like that, so they're different ones from Just Strings. But they roughly correspond to the Kalium .009 to .090 set. And yeah, they're all guitar strings. I definitely want a thicker C#1 string, though. The vibration amplitude of that string is so great it tends to buzz if I'm not really careful. I think a .100" may be what I need. And then I'll just unwind some at the end(s).

Zhysick

Reaction score
:holy: :holy: YES YES YES!!!!

Looks amazing... I really like it!!!!

Video, please? :agreed: