NGD: ESP Alexi Laiho Katakana SS (Finland Edition)

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Pics first because you’re gonna wanna see this:

IMG-9071.jpg

IMG-9058.jpg

IMG-9105.jpg
IMG-9106.jpg

IMG-9104.jpg

IMG-9110.jpg

IMG-9147.jpg

IMG-9213.jpg

IMG-6781.png
IMG-5906.jpg

Never thought I’d be typing up an NGD for one of these, but here goes. Managed to find a 1/10 Katakana a few months back in Finland and after some back and forth with the buyer he agreed to let me pay for it gradually as I sold off some guitars. I let the KKV and the LIM go to fund this, and had it dropped off at a friend of mine who was local to the buyer over the holidays.

It arrived at my place last week, and I’ve been playing it as much as I can, and comparing it to my 2022 CS arrowhead and 2007 SV-1 NT.

In short it’s an incredible guitar. We all know by now how good these are and this one is no exception. Neck is beefier than my custom shop but not thick at all. It plays itself.

The Katakana model was originally conceived as as a collaboration between Alexi and Musamaailma and a run of 10 Standards was ordered. Alexi’s one and only Katakana was from this run and he played it until his passing.

What makes this model unique as opposed to following runs is that the boost is a Finnish designed and built copy of the Jackson JE-1000 boost, and that it features the old cutaway prior to the deeper scoop added from Pinky onwards. It also doesn’t have a belly cut nor the COBHC logo on the rear that the following models would have. Logo placement is slightly different and the two tone truss rod cover is also unique to this model.

I’m super stoked to have this. Been going through a lot of Bodom leads recently and having about as much fun as you possibly can on the guitar. This rules.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
There's only 10 of these with Alexi's being one of those?? HNGD, that's incredible!

As someone who's only watched Alexi from a distance, does anyone know what happened to his gear? Was it put up for sale or is someone hanging onto it?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
It screams "METAL".

Congrats, incredible buy.
Absolutely. I thought my KKV was the most “METAL” guitar I could ever own, but this guitar takes me back to being 15 and learning the sweeps from “Silent Night, Bodom Night” in my bedroom every time I pick it up. So much more than a cool guitar. It’s like the bedrock of what the instrument and playing guitar mean to me, solidified into one guitar. Crazy.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
There's only 10 of these with Alexi's being one of those?? HNGD, that's incredible!

As someone who's only watched Alexi from a distance, does anyone know what happened to his gear? Was it put up for sale or is someone hanging onto it?
There are 10 from the first run. Now 9, as one was lost in a house fire. Following models had a different upper fret cutaway, different boost etc.

Alexi’s Katakana is with his estate, as are all other guitars and equipment he had at the time of death that wasn’t auctioned off by Musamaailma.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Holy fucking christ I have the jizz hands again! Not only is it an incredible fucking guitar but it's like winning the Alexi Laiho lottery! One day it will be worth millions! And it has the flat head wood screw Floyd studs too!

Are you related to triple ace fighter pilot Gen. (Col. at the time the photo was taken in his F-4 Phantom during Vietnam) Robin Olds?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Holy fucking christ I have the jizz hands again! Not only is it an incredible fucking guitar but it's like winning the Alexi Laiho lottery! One day it will be worth millions! And it has the flat head wood screw Floyd studs too!

Are you related to triple ace fighter pilot Gen. (Col. at the time the photo was taken in his F-4 Phantom during Vietnam) Robin Olds?

It’s the most valuable edition of the Katakana, and one of my favorite Alexi sigs (probably my favorite atm with it in my hands). The flat head wood screws are such a rad detail.

I’m not related to Gen. Olds, but he’s a huge inspiration to me, hence why I have his photo framed.

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
thanx for the story and information
fine little collection you have there, congrats for this awesome axe, shred the hell out of it,
but i hope one day you won't regret selling some other fine guitars

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
thanx for the story and information
fine little collection you have there, congrats for this awesome axe, shred the hell out of it,
but i hope one day you won't regret selling some other fine guitars
I had to do a bit of thinking, for sure. I’ve owned a few very special ESP’s. I have a pretty serious connection to COB so to me it was pretty obvious what I had to do even if it wasn’t the easiest thing to close the case for the last time on two of my grails.

It finally came down to how much they were getting played, versus how much I’d play the katakana. All the feelings of regret went out the window when I unboxed the Katakana!

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
There are 10 from the first run. Now 9, as one was lost in a house fire. Following models had a different upper fret cutaway, different boost etc.

Alexi’s Katakana is with his estate, as are all other guitars and equipment he had at the time of death that wasn’t auctioned off by Musamaailma.
Appreciate the info!

1b4n3z

Reaction score

A few of his guitars are hanging on a pub wall in Espoo, just went there last weekend :) It's the Bodom Bar, not coincidentally

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Aw man, with Alexi having been my absolute guitar idol until I was in my very early twenties, this borderline makes me emotional!
S+ tier dream guitar right there. Super duper happy NGD man!

Did the guy have the listing up on Reverb until recently? I could have sworn I saw one of these Standard Katakanas within the last few weeks for sale online.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Aw man, with Alexi having been my absolute guitar idol until I was in my very early twenties, this borderline makes me emotional!
S+ tier dream guitar right there. Super duper happy NGD man!

Did the guy have the listing up on Reverb until recently? I could have sworn I saw one of these Standard Katakanas within the last few weeks for sale online.
Yeah, this is that one. Thanks dude! This has mojo for days.

Latest posts