NGD: ESP E-II Jesse Liu JL-7 Katana

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I've seen this issue in the past on E-IIs and ESP response was something along the lines of "we do it by hand and suck it up if you don't like it"
I think I'd like to work for ESP customer support, sounds like you get to spend most of everyday saying "yeah, I can see why you'd be unhappy with that....anyway, tough shit, fuck off"

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Congrats man, glad I could help out!

Now you need a Muramasa to match it (scallops optional) ;)

View attachment 139749
Slightly off main topic, but for the katana with what did you replace the volume knob? Killswitch? Like already, I don’t like the volume knob placement and I’m thinking about replacing it with a killswitch or as mentioned before with a toggle and leaving it as far away as possible.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Slightly off main topic, but for the katana with what did you replace the volume knob? Killswitch? Like already, I don’t like the volume knob placement and I’m thinking about replacing it with a killswitch or as mentioned before with a toggle and leaving it as far away as possible.

I replaced it with a little bit of 3D printed plastic and wired the pickup straight to the output jack. Have also wired the Muramasa straight to the output jack,

Fuck volume knobs haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I just got the EMG SAX7 in the mail. It will be a while until I take the guitar to get it installed, but here's how it looks for the curious:

20240313-204158.jpg

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cool guitar. I wonder if Jesse Liu was a fan of Christian Olde Wolbers signature Jackson. Paintjob definitely has some of that vibe.

Also big thanks of showing how the soapbar + single coil combo looks. I was considering it for a custom build, but now I see that it's not my mojo after all. Much prefer humcap + single coil under a pickguard or two splittable 707 soapbars for the looks.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I just got the EMG SAX7 in the mail. It will be a while until I take the guitar to get it installed, but here's how it looks for the curious:

20240313-204158.jpg

Hold up.

Did EMG start offering the 7 string singles in X series variants? They’re not on the site. I know they’ll sometimes make alternate magnet versions of pickups not listed.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Hold up.

Did EMG start offering the 7 string singles in X series variants? They’re not on the site. I know they’ll sometimes make alternate magnet versions of pickups not listed.
All I know is that I had seen them before only in red. I found a listing on eBay for a black one and didn't think twice.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
How do you feel about the d-tuna on a 7? I found it to throw the whole thing outta whack if it’s not blocked, probably the point but still, kinda rendered it useless otherwise

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Were pickups normal F soapbar spacing? The one I’ve got has a lace deathbar in it and I’m tempted to replace it with an SD or Lundgren

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Were pickups normal F soapbar spacing? The one I’ve got has a lace deathbar in it and I’m tempted to replace it with an SD or Lundgren
F spacing? There are no F-spaced pickups for 7-strings as far as I know. If you mean the soapbar/EMG route? In that case, yes. The Lace is the same size. You would also increase the weight of the guitar, which would help with the balance.

How do you feel about the d-tuna on a 7? I found it to throw the whole thing outta whack if it’s not blocked, probably the point but still, kinda rendered it useless otherwise
I never liked D-tuna style devices. Dropping from B to A would probably cause the intonation to go waaay off (probably a lot more than using it on the 6th string) and the string tension would be out of whack. So no no for me.

Last edited: