NGD - Gibson Bill Kelliher Les Paul

• Thread starter loganflynn294
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score

Super excited about this one! I've wanted a Les Paul for as long as I can remember, probably longer lol. Apart from Customs (which are out of my budget) I never really found one that I clicked with. Until now.

The finish is absolutely stunning in person. In some pictures it looks like tobacco burst, but it's basically a goldtop with blackburst edges. When light hits it, the sparkle really comes out. I swapped out all of the cream plastics for black Custom plastics. Might switch the control knobs back to the original gold ones, haven't decided yet..

I've never played through Lace pickups before so I really had no idea what to expect. Most of my guitars either have EMG's or some sort of JB or "JB style" pickups. These "Dissonant Aggressors" do not disappoint. At all. I thought they would be really high output, they're more like medium output. The mids and the overall clarity are the real center of attention here. I tune down one whole step and play through a boosted Bogner Shiva with a decent amount of gain and every note of open chords rings out with an amazing amount of clarity. The volume pots pull out to split the coils and while it won't ever sound like a Strat or Tele, it has a unique sound all it's own. I'd say somewhere in between a P90 and traditional single coil. Amazingly quiet too, way quieter than any other single or tapped humbucker I've ever heard.

Playability is great, I think they list the neck as 60's slim so it's great for any playing style really. All of my other 6's are 25.5" but I adapted right away and actually prefer the shorter scale now.

Now, people seem to bash Gibson's QC a lot nowadays, and I kinda see why. First off, the nut was cut very sloppy and needed a little bit of "touching up" to get it to stay in tune. I bought a Graphtec nut that I'll install next time I change strings. Secondly, there are some very small swirl marks next to the binding on the front, just under the pickguard. To me, not a big deal at all, this guitar is going to get dinged and scratched, it's not a case queen. Other's who are dropping this kind of $ on a guitar however, might not brush it off as easily. I am very happy that none of Gibson's modern "enhancements" made it onto this model. No G-Force tuners, goofy inlay, wider neck with same string spacing, or oddball switches on this baby. Gotta keep saving for a real Custom though... Until then, I'll be playing the hell out of this thing! :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Pickguard looks oddly scratched for a new guitar, but it's no big deal as I assume you'll add plenty yourself. ^^
I likely would have gotten one myself but already owning the explorer I really couldn't justify that.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Pickguard looks oddly scratched for a new guitar,

Agreed :agreed:. But like the OP says, that'll happen after a single practice or gig anyway. I'm almost starting to like swirl marks on my guitars as long as they are in the right spots. Still weird for a new guitar, or maybe OP has just been playing the s*** out of it!

Nice score OP - congrats!! Those pickups sound interesting too.

xzacx

Reaction score
I actually played one of these recently. I don't think I've ever heard Bill Kelliher, but I loved how it looked, and thought it sounded great clean. I wasn't crazy about the pickups with high gain, but through a Twin I was super impressed.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
Damn, that thing is dooooope. Bill's got killer taste, and apparently you do too. HNGD

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Regarding the pickguard, I have been playing the hell out of this thing on a daily basis. It came with a creme colored pickguard and other plastics, but I'm def not a fan of creme plastics on any Les Paul, no matter what finish it is. For some reason this black one shows scratches way more than the stock one did. Oh well.

The neck feels great, I'd say it's on the thin side for a Gibson. I think it's their 60's style thickness, but I'm not sure. Before this, my most played axe was my G&L Rampage Jerry Cantrell signature (I hate signature guitars but I always seem to keep buying them lol). That has a wider, slightly thinner neck with a flatter radius and I had no problem at all instantly falling in love with this one.

I just got an SM57 so as soon as I figure out the whole mic placement thing, I'll post some clips with different tones since there's not much out there with these pickups.

Fluff191

Riffs And Beards
Reaction score
Holy sh!t thats hot happy NGD. The first 300 or so of these were chambered on accident and are very rare. Is this guitar heavy?

Reaction score
Wish Gibson setup this guitar for drop c. Ripping through all of Mastodon's heavy hitters out the box.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
Holy sh!t thats hot happy NGD. The first 300 or so of these were chambered on accident and are very rare. Is this guitar heavy?

Really? I never knew that. I doubt mine's chambered, I think it's just over 9 lbs, but who knows.

I can't put this damn thing down, it just keeps inspiring to play more. For some reason this is the only guitar I have that just sounds and plays better with lighter strings. For standard tuning I usually use 10's, anything lower and I step up to 11 or 12's. I've got this thing tuned down a whole step to D standard and 10's make it perfect. I need to look into the Golden Axe Explorer now! :metal:

dhgrind

Reaction score
sweet looking axe, I had the explorer sig and it had very similar problems. ended up selling it to get an Ibanez and ended up with the same tuning instability.