NGD: Gibson Les Paul Classic

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I played this briefly unplugged last week, and I was very surprised - Gibson seems to have got it right.

Underworld

Reaction score
Must weight 2 tons and a half.

I always thought Les Paul looked wierd with more than 6 strings.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Nice! Looks great!

I've been in the fence over buying one of these since they were announced. I live over in Fairfax, VA. If you're ever over my way, please let me know. I'd love to meet up and check this out. I'm happy to lug out any of my stuff you'd want to check out (any of these guys, http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4377464-post23.html, or J-Custom, etc).

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Must weight 2 tons and a half.

10.006lbs on the digital scale. Not light, but not as obscene as one would expect. My other two Les Pauls weigh in around nine and a quarter.

still 24.75" scale, right? For a 7 that seems waaay to short.

Excuse the crappy phone video/crappy playing:

This is Les Paul's in drop-A. Sounds pretty crushing to me:

celticelk

Reaction score
still 24.75" scale, right? For a 7 that seems waaay to short.

Opinions vary. I'm perfectly happy with my Epi Heafy LP7 in B at that scale, and there are a billion doom bands playing Gibson-scale instruments in B and sometimes lower.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
I'm tuned to low A at a 630mm scale with no issues and tons of tension/clarity. Tons of jazz boxes tuned to low A in the 24.75 realm. All depends on the guitar.

aneurysm

Type o´Negative
Reaction score
HNDG Mate, cool Video and not crappy playing !
Do you have other Guitars to compare with ? I have 9 Guitars ( Gibson, Schecter, Ibanez , Fender , PRS ) and so on.
But to me, i love my Gibson´s cause they all have this Mahagony Punch !

Underworld

Reaction score
10.006lbs on the digital scale. Not light, but not as obscene as one would expect. My other two Les Pauls weigh in around nine and a quarter.

Thanks for the answer! It's not too bad. Still heavy compared to what I'm used to, but it's an average Gibby weight.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
HNDG Mate, cool Video and not crappy playing !
Do you have other Guitars to compare with ? I have 9 Guitars ( Gibson, Schecter, Ibanez , Fender , PRS ) and so on.
But to me, i love my Gibson´s cause they all have this Mahagony Punch !

Sure do. ;)

59989_1447921832593_2553334_n.jpg

That's not including the acoustics and the oddballs (like the doubleneck).

I've got sevens in all three scales now (24.75", 25.5", 27"), and I have to say that I like them for different things. The 27" is tight as a drum for rhythm playing, but I've found both guys in the band need to have long scale for it to work. Mike and I have had all sorts of intonation problems when recording it with a 25.5" guitar. I also hate soloing on it, since everything sounds thin up top. The 24.75" scale is thicker and meatier sounding, but is obviously not going to have the percussive nature of 27", or the punch of 25.5", but variety is the spice of life, no? I'm an old school thrash and rock guy, so I've always dug how big shorter scale guitars sound. 25.5" is just good all around, and is long as I feel like going these days.

Last edited:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! Looks great!

I've been in the fence over buying one of these since they were announced. I live over in Fairfax, VA. If you're ever over my way, please let me know. I'd love to meet up and check this out. I'm happy to lug out any of my stuff you'd want to check out (any of these guys, http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4377464-post23.html, or J-Custom, etc).

Yeah, we'll have to work something out, since I work in Fairfax.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Excuse the crappy phone video/crappy playing:

This is Les Paul's in drop-A. Sounds pretty crushing to me:

Clearly those videos are fake because as so many people pointed out without ever trying it 24.75" can't possibly sound good for a 7 or a downtuned 6 :fawk: