NGD: Ibanez Prestige RG1527

• Thread starter MrWulf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrWulf

Reaction score
That looks super clean! What pickup set are you planning on putting in?

I'm putting in some Nazgul/Sentient in. Not my favorite pair of pickup but I've played with them before and I got a killer deal with it. Would have like to try Illuminators, Imperium or some Guitarmory pickups but they either have no used ones to buy or i have to wait weeks for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dwellingers

Reaction score
Nice! Just brought one too! Not decided on a pickup yet, but im think7ng dimarzio tone zone or classic blaze. Nazgul perhaps? Got a Lundgren M7 in a Schecter I could use also...

MrWulf

Reaction score
So the guitar turned out to need quite a bit of set up and fixing to get it up to playing shape. Fixes included:

+ new capacitor/volume pot
+ new pickup because the V87/V77 is kind of weak
+ new springs because old springs are old
+ new knobs

And even then, it threw me another curve ball: turned out the V87/V77 pickups are significantly shorter than the Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient, and such the pickup routing in the guitar was rather shallow. It couldnt fit the SD pair in. So the luthier decided to swap the screws from the V pickups to the Nazgul/Sentient to shorten the pickup height. It doesnt seems to change the pickup sounds as far as i see, but even with it only Sentient fit in while Nazgul made the upper frets of the high E string unplayable, nevermind that it just make the very comfy Edge Pro 7 rather unusable if you pull up any further than 5 mm. For now, the guitar still playable but when im getting back to Houston im going to do some pickup surgery to get it fix. But Nazgul/Sentient sounds right at home, nevertheless. Nazgul is just as thick and brutal as i remember, while Sentient sounds significantly smoother and cleaner in this guitar somehow. All in all, great.

As much as i could play it the guitar feels great. The 60-10 string gauge is very comfortable in 25.5 after months of 63-11 on 26.5. The action is comfortably low, the neck is fast, kind of thick but it is the good kind of neck shape. Even with nearly 200 dollars of back end fix, the guitar worth every penny.

Attachments

• 20190328_170425.jpg
    20190328_170425.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190328_170717.jpg
    20190328_170717.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190328_170812.jpg
    20190328_170812.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190328_170725.jpg
    20190328_170725.jpg
    928.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190328_173121.jpg
    20190328_173121.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29

Merrekof

Reaction score
HNGD dude..

I just don't get one thing; Prices on the used market in Belgium! At this moment, there are 2 RG1527's on the local used market site. One for 600€, with a Dimarzio evo7 and air norton. In pretty good condition, a couple of chips on the body but that's it. Then there's this other one wit EMG's and an EMG boost preamp with one little scratch for 550€. It's been on this site for years now and it doesn't get sold. Why?

Still, 600$ is a good deal but some of you should check the Belgian ads.. :)

And yeah, I feel you with the PU's. Ibanez seems to have the smallest PU cavity out there. You need extra routing for some the other brand PU's.

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
Happy New Guitar day!

2005 is probably my favourite year of the Ibanez catalogue next to 1991.
I do own a couple of Ibbys from that year.

This falls under that category and in a Black pearl finish. Very nice. For that price that is a guitar that has impeccable fit & finish.

thedonal

Reaction score
So the guitar turned out to need quite a bit of set up and fixing to get it up to playing shape. Fixes included:

+ new capacitor/volume pot
+ new pickup because the V87/V77 is kind of weak
+ new springs because old springs are old
+ new knobs

And even then, it threw me another curve ball: turned out the V87/V77 pickups are significantly shorter than the Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient, and such the pickup routing in the guitar was rather shallow. It couldnt fit the SD pair in. So the luthier decided to swap the screws from the V pickups to the Nazgul/Sentient to shorten the pickup height. It doesnt seems to change the pickup sounds as far as i see, but even with it only Sentient fit in while Nazgul made the upper frets of the high E string unplayable, nevermind that it just make the very comfy Edge Pro 7 rather unusable if you pull up any further than 5 mm. For now, the guitar still playable but when im getting back to Houston im going to do some pickup surgery to get it fix. But Nazgul/Sentient sounds right at home, nevertheless. Nazgul is just as thick and brutal as i remember, while Sentient sounds significantly smoother and cleaner in this guitar somehow. All in all, great.

As much as i could play it the guitar feels great. The 60-10 string gauge is very comfortable in 25.5 after months of 63-11 on 26.5. The action is comfortably low, the neck is fast, kind of thick but it is the good kind of neck shape. Even with nearly 200 dollars of back end fix, the guitar worth every penny.

I found the same with the pickups- the stock pickups really are the weak point of this guitar but I planned to replace them anyways. frequencies aren't very well focussed on them- couldn't get feedback to start even with Mesa high gain channel!. I put a pair of DiMarzio JP pickups in mine- the LiquiFire/Crunch Lab combo. I ended up making a recess for the cable with a Dremel on mine on the Bridge pickup when I oriented it with the pole pieces to the bridge- otherwise the pickup wouldn't sit flat. Not the most elegant solution but it worked!

I'm about to take my spring setup from 4 to 3 in a /|\ setup - I wanna get the locking bar back in place over the spring sockets on the trem block- stop the bridge jumping out of place when I remove strings for clean/replacement (using 10-59 here).

I got mine new (reduced as the newer edge-zero version had been released). Simply the best fretwork I've ever had on a guitar- silky smooth. Absolute bliss. It's making me hanker for another new Prestige ibby (Jem 7V would be ace!!).