NGD: Ibanez Prestige RGR5227MXF-TFG

• Thread starter Jonnysleftfoot
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Got my hand on this guitar from reverb about 2 months ago. It was mint condition with all original hardware. The only thing wrong with it was the 3 way switch. It was cutting out on some positions and finally died on me about 2 weeks ago. Today i finally finished this little project.

Upgrades: Hipshot open gear locking tuners
Hipshot Ibby HM bridge
Hipshot O-ring knob (moved volume to tone position)
Covered up holes with nylon hole plugs (found at lowes in the nuts in bolts isle, in one of the drawers. I think the drawer was labeled hard to find? If not they're found close to that drawer haha)
Bareknuckle Black Hawk 7's
Had hatter terminator wiring system (Cavity shielded with copper tape)

I missed my opportunity to snag one of these when they first came out and was lucky enough to find this on reverb. Green is probably my favorite color, and the figuring on this top is pretty sick in my opinion.

Plugged the holes because i hated the volume knob location, and prefer 5 way switches to the 3 way with mini switch. I wanna say i used 5/16th" and 1/4" plugs to cover up these holes but i forgot to make note of the sizes that worked (i just bought a bunch to make sure i had the right one).

The stock hardware was fine, i just wanted to have black hardware rather than cosmo black. The hipshot bridge is slightly more comfortable than the stock gibraltar bridge, however i only replaced it for cosmetic reasons.

I actually drilled a hole slightly too big for the hipshot tuner screws. I filled it with wood filler and drilled a smaller hole. A wooden dowel would have been better, but these screws seemed insignificant enough to use wood filler. Worked like a charm.

Additionally with the tuners - they're slightly out of line. This is due to me being stupid and just eyeballing it, rather than actually measuring the hole spacing properly. Doesn't seem to really affect anything so it doesn't bother me. Lesson learned.

The stock bare knuckle brute force pickups actually sounded pretty good, but i wanted something a little different. I had never tried black hawks before, but i've always loved the look of them. This guitar will be staying in B standard / Drop A with NYXL 10-59 strings. It sounds mean. These pickups have a certain flavor to them that i dig. The definition, output and feel are all there. They may not be my favorite pickups ever, but they'll be staying in.

The mad hatter system is the easiest wiring i've ever done. Pretty expensive at around $140, but i dig it. It makes swapping pickups a breeze, and changing with coils are active on the split settings is easily changed by just swapping the placement of two wires (well 4, but there are 2 wires per split terminal). Soldering would definitely be cheaper and take up a bit less room, but you cant beat how easy this system is. I didn't include a picture because i didnt clean up the wiring. I didnt cut any wires from the brand new pickups, so there are a ton of wires just being pushed down at the moment. I could easily get in there and clean it up, but i'm lazy and don't see a reason to unless something stops working i guess.

The only thing i want to change now is the selector switch screws. I'll be changing them out to black screws whenever i go to lowes again.

Frets have been mirror shined, she's all intonated and set up with nice and low action. She shred's, now if only i could haha.

Attachments

• IMG_0620 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0620 Large.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0621 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0621 Large.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0622 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0622 Large.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0623 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0623 Large.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0624 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0624 Large.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0625 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0625 Large.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0626 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0626 Large.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0627 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0627 Large.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 141

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dirtool

Reaction score
When it first came out, I was expecting ibanez will expand the series later, like trem version, different colors or wood, etc.
But then they discontinued the whole series next year, only keeping the orange 6 one, a bit regret of not getting one at time.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
When it first came out, I was expecting ibanez will expand the series later, like trem version, different colors or wood, etc.
But then they discontinued the whole series next year, only keeping the orange 6 one, a bit regret of not getting one at time.
Yeah that surprised me as well. The orange 6 still looks great and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want one, but more colors and some trems seems like a no brainer. I wonder why they didn’t?

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats! I've always liked that guitar. Reversed headstocks rule.

Also, it's 'MFX'. I totally know the 'FX' in Ibby's line, but what's the 'M'?

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad to see these around :) I think that RGR5227MFX has one of the punkiest looks that Ibanez has pulled off. It performs like a proper RG and looks like a rebel.

I'm waiting for my EMG shipment - will swap out the BKP's for 85X/60X combo. Still on the fence about swapping mine to all black hardware. I will keep the pots and the switch though - RPC going in instead of the useless tone pot. One way to do away with hitting the volume pot during heavy rhytm playing is to use small knob like this one (top part only):
0280-0264_stacked-knob-black_satin-1_1.jpg

Tom odd 7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Almost pull the trigger on this one a couple of years before..
Congrats !

oodlesonoodles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love these mods, I bet it sounds amazing! I have one and it plays so well but I can't get myself to love the green. I've been trying to sell it but without much luck, but maybe that's my sign to just get it refinished anyway LOL. I will say though, I wish they would have made a 7 string variant of the orange RGR5221 they made, that is just perfect!