NGD: Mayones Duvell Prototype (Pics/Clip/Initial Thoughts)

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is the first prototype that Mayones Guitars Basses put together for the new Duvell model they are putting out a little later this year. The idea with the Duvell is to offer a bolt-on version of the Regius with more of a traditional super strat shape. I believe the Duvell still shares the slight radiusing that the tops of the Regius model have.
This guitar was at NAMM so if you happened to check out the Mayones booth you might have seen it or even tried it in person.

I haven't had too much time with the guitar just yet, and it arrived with lighter gauges than what I generally use (I am guessing 10-59) so I have left it in Drop A as opposed to Ab. With that said, it actually plays and sounds so good that I am considering experimenting with lighter gauges for the album. This guitar is spec'd a bit differently from the stuff I usually get. The body is "Tonally Enhanced Wood" Mahogany.

Dawid from Mayones was explaining that they had been experimenting with roasting the body and top wood to see how it affected the sound. They actually got involved with the Wood Technology Dept. at the University of Poznan as they had special tools that could measure the differences created.

With all that said, the guitar truly sounds fantastic. For a relatively heavier guitar than I go for the sound is rich and resonant, lots of purr, and it is acoustically very loud as well. Tons of attack, but I also think the thinner strings have something to do with that, it will be interesting to see how much the sound changes with my proper gauges. Again, I have to say I am always pleasantly surprised with how different my different BKP Juggernaut equipped guitars can end up sounding from one another with the different woods and construction.

Interestingly enough, I do have a clip of the guitar because I used it to write my rather horrendous April Fools' song "Borthelcash" so you can hear the guitar here: https://soundcloud.com/iambulb/borthelcash-new-periphery

Here are pics:
hLz3aGA.jpg

ihhXQ2b.jpg

xC7oUUq.jpg

qAu3MaL.jpg

MdeXxNe.jpg

oFC3Luw.jpg

Specs are:
Mahogany TEW Body (Tone Enhanced Wood)
Flamed Maple TEW Top
Wenge/Bubinga Neck
Ebony Fretboard
25.4 inch scale
Bare Knuckle Pickups Juggernaut set with Tyger covers.
Sperzel Locking Tuners
Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks
(Not sure about the fretboard radius, but it feels flat, might be 20")

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
As I explained in the description: Dawid from Mayones was explaining that they had been experimenting with roasting the body and top wood to see how it affected the sound. They actually got involved with the Wood Technology Dept. at the University of Poznan as they had special tools that could measure the differences created.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the Light String Brigade. ;)

And yeah, damn sexy axe.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
So a bolt-on version of Regius...I wonder if that translates to a cheaper version. Because god damn they arent cheap!

bulb

Reaction score
So a bolt-on version of Regius...I wonder if that translates to a cheaper version. Because god damn they arent cheap!

Not sure of the price, but generally bolt-on guitars cost less to manufacture, and rule more, so win-win!

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Its such an awesome guitar! Im ordering one asap!

I hope they get more TEW mahogany though. I just heard that they currently have no supply and had some issue come up with their TEW mahogany supply recently. I also heard that they wont be doing TT frets any longer and that Schaller isnt able to provide any 7 string Hannes bridges at the moment. It came up cause I tried to order a Regius with all of that stuff recently and was told all of that. Sorry to slightly go off topic. Youve got a super sick guitar right there and those pics are seriously droool worthy.

No shit! Thats this guitar in Borthelcash? Nice!

AndruwX

The Irregular
Reaction score
Misha, umh, I got a question, amd correct me if I'm wrong since I am not expert in the topic.
Isn't kind of... "silly" (I can't find a better word) to put the same Pickups in all your guitars?

Letuchy

Reaction score
Not a Mayo fan, but this axe looks insane!!! New body and headstock shape are badass!!!

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
The idea with the Duvell is to offer a bolt-on version of the Regius with more of a traditional super strat shape.

Errrmmm... :scratch: That doesn't make sense to me. This is as much a bolt-on Regius as the Dean Razorback is a set-neck Telecaster.

It's gorgeous, though. :metal:

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Nice equalizer for those in Europe who don't buy Carvins because the shipping/VAT etc.

Damn nice guitar. Their V's are what caught my eye at their NAMM display though.

Thinking that given the family size, Misha probably has more guitars without his sig pu's than with for now at least. I recall him saying that the different woods and construction of his many guitars do actually sound different using the same sig pu's.