NGD: OAF/Xen Autumn Build

• Thread starter thraxil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
image.jpg

Yeah.

I was smart enough to get in on the Oakland Axe Factory/Xen autumn run. Mine came in the other day.

Specs:

* 8-string headless
* 25.5 - 27" fan
* Strandberg licensed Endurneck profile
* Swamp ash body
* Walnut top
* maple neck with bubinga stripe
* birdseye maple fretboard
* Lace Alumitone Deathbucker in the bridge, X-bar in the neck
* luminlay side-dots
* two volumes with push-pull coil split

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That fretboard...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

For scale, here it is next to the Agile Intrepid Pro that it's going to replace:

image.jpg

What can I say? Tom does amazing work.

It's light. Probably weighs half what the Agile does.

The ergonomics are spot on. Standing or sitting, over either leg, it balances perfectly and sits just right. I took a leap of faith on the endurneck and I think it paid off. I'm sold. It's instantly comfortable. You don't notice the corners like you would expect, you just find that your thumb ends up in the right place. The setup is pretty much perfect, though I might put some heavier strings on the F# and B, out of personal preference.

The fan is going to take me a little longer to adjust to. On the high frets, it's fine. Down low, I still find myself missing notes more often than usual. A few hours of band practice tonight and I'm more comfortable, but not 100% there yet. I think I'm pro fan overall though. String tension and tone on the high strings is much smoother than, eg, on the Agile.

I haven't entirely figured out the Alumitones yet either. Out of the gate, the cleans are fantastic in every configuration. Very wide open sound. Almost reminds me of a bit of a very nice blend of magnetic and piezo pickups. Massive dynamic range. I don't think I've ever played other pickups with this much dynamic range. I think that's making it tough to dial in a heavy tone though. I mean, it sounds *good* distorted, but I have a hard time dialing in the particular tones that I'm used to. Playing dynamics have such a huge impact. If I dial in what I like and then play just a little bit harder or softer, it ends up very different. So, I'm probably going to have to work on developing more control there and spend some more time figuring out how they interact with different preamps and pedals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
That is awesome and appears to be a nice step up from the Agile :)

Everyone is freaking me out with these Lace pickups. Very curious to find out what the story is for myself.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Excellent, these are such great examples of quality craftsmanship! Big congrats, man!!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic! These models are really really nice all-round, very smart guitars!

The size comparison is turning me on, considering I used to have an intrepid and I'm waiting on a singlecut headless 8 from OAF myself :D

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Everyone is freaking me out with these Lace pickups. Very curious to find out what the story is for myself.

I think people like me are writing about them in part because they're just new to us, so it's interesting. By now everyone knows what to expect from a Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio or Bare Knuckle and any discussion of them focuses on very tiny variations. These are still uncharted territory.

I wouldn't worry about it. They don't sound bad by any stretch. I would liken it to the initial switch to a 7 or 8 string guitar that many of us went through and found that the presets we'd been using for 6's didn't work with those lower notes and had to be dialed in differently.

If you are 100% happy with your current tone and don't want any kind of change whatsoever, stay away from the Lace pickups. Otherwise...

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
congrats, this run hit it out of the park. Big props to OAF, XEN and the guys that were smart enough to get in on it.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
Where at in NYC are you? I just recently got my OAF 10 string to my apartment here, I'd love to run away wit...I mean see this beauty of yours :lol:

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
What? No wormholes? Boo... :lol:

Yeah, there are a few natural blemishes in the wood, which I'm cool with since I'm really into the aesthetic of real, natural wood, but nothing like a wormhole and no chips, dings, or tool marks, unlike some other recent NGDs that we've all seen and can remain unnamed.

If I wanted to get real nitpicky, I would say that the neck pocket has a bit of a gap on the treble side (I suspect Tom had to shim). It's solid as a rock, but a visible gap. And the fret slots visible on the edges are a bit uneven and messy looking. So, not 100% perfect flawlessness, but pretty excellent work for the price.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Mind if I ask how much this set you back?

mr_ormus777

Grey Alien
Reaction score
Sydney, Australia, formerly Zeta Reticuli
:hbang:Awesome, she's a beauty, HNGD!!! I'm also ordering one of these in a few months, would love to see or hear some sound clips of the pickups clean( also w/ coil split) & distorted before putting specs together. Enjoy the new beast!!!:shred:

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Mind if I ask how much this set you back?

I know normally it's bad form to discuss what a custom cost, since it tends to be so individual, but pricing for this run was all out in the open and you can dig back through the archives and see exactly the deal that Tom put together. This one ended up right around the $2K mark plus a bit extra for the case (so worth it). Half-ish up front and the rest on completion. I don't remember exactly what cost what, but I think there were upcharges for the Endurneck to cover licensing (originally it was going to be Toone IPNP and then Tom surprised us) and for fancier woods or finishes (people in the run were also encouraged to pick out their own top woods, but I left this one entirely in Tom's hands).

Of course, that's obviously lower than a normal OAF custom ought to run you since it was a limited promotion and Tom was able to keep costs down by doing a whole batch with similar specs. Amazing deal altogether and I'm glad I was in a position to be able to jump on it.