NGD: PRS SE Content

• Thread starter Shask
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Not sure how exciting this is with people having piles of $4000 PRS guitars around here :lol: But, I am really liking this guitar! 2017 PRS SE Custom 24 in Whale Blue. I have had it a week or so, and got it cleaned up. It is a little out of whack right now because I put 10's on it, and didn't realize it came with 9's stock, but I will get it dialed in over time.

Been thinking about getting one of these for awhile. Sometimes when I would play them, I loved them. Other times, not so much. I finally played several in one day and discovered something....... it seems like about 1/3 of the SE guitars I played had a thin/flat neck. Almost like a thicker Jackson profile. I hated those, and that shape gives me thumb and wrist cramps. The other 2/3 had a thicker, rounder neck. I know this is weird because these should all have the same Wide/Thin profile, but there are definitely differences between models. That made me nervous to order online.

I ran into this guitar locally. LOVED the neck. It is thicker/rounder, like a Gibson 59 or 60's neck profile. Plays good. Sounds good. Looks good. It is hard to take a pic of. It looks like more of a dark teal in person, than a dark royal blue, which I love. Sick of that common royal blue color. I usually don't like to buy floor models, especially with a few minor bumps, but had to have this particular guitar after playing so many with necks I didn't like.

I think this is just what I wanted. I mostly have Ibanez, Schecter, Kiesel, Charvel, etc..... and wanted something shorter scale and mahogany... but don't like Gibson based guitars. This is a nice compromise. I prefer the flat beveled top to the USA carved top models. Originally wanted the Floyd model, but this is a nice change. Definitely looking forward to personalizing this one over the next several months.

Anyways, just thought others might like to see this, and maybe others have ran into the same differences in neck profiles.

Attachments

• 20170418_173245.jpg
    20170418_173245.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 20170418_173252.jpg
    20170418_173252.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 114

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
solid guitar, looks great!

Surprised to hear of such a large difference between neck size on the regular SE Custom 24's; weird. Either way, glad you got one that fits your needs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
As I recall, there was a recent thread about Schecter's WMI line necks being way out of spec. I'm also curious as to whether we'll see a price jump in the SE line like we've been seeing with Chapman and Strandberg.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
Ive had a few SE customs and i prefer the rounder neck myself. I sold those off to get an SE c24 floyd, and to my surprise, when it was shipped to my house, i found it had the thin neck. It threw me off because i wasnt expectinf it.....i should have done more research on it.

Congrats anyhow!

Shask

Reaction score
Ive had a few SE customs and i prefer the rounder neck myself. I sold those off to get an SE c24 floyd, and to my surprise, when it was shipped to my house, i found it had the thin neck. It threw me off because i wasnt expectinf it.....i should have done more research on it.

Congrats anyhow!

Yeah, I found a trans-black Floyd one with binding on the neck. It was the thinnest I played of the group. It felt like playing a neckthrough Jackson. I didn't like it much at all. Aggravated me, because I originally wanted a Floyd model. Shocked me how different they all were. I haven't seen many others talk about this, which was the main reason I started this thread.

I have played tons of PRS guitars through the years, but this is the first one I have actually owned. I don't know why I kept putting it off..... My preferences have changed over the years, and I think this is more what I am going for now, instead of an Ibanez RG or something.

Shask

Reaction score
As I recall, there was a recent thread about Schecter's WMI line necks being way out of spec. I'm also curious as to whether we'll see a price jump in the SE line like we've been seeing with Chapman and Strandberg.

I remember seeing that also, although I have always had good luck with WMI guitars. I have several of them, which is one reason I decided to grab this guitar.

Of course, I don't know if the flat neck ones were the off ones, or who knows, maybe I got the oddity, lol. I can say though that the Indo Standard ones have a similar round neck to this one. The old 90's US models I remember playing were always round and never reminded me of a Jackson neck like some of the newer ones I played.

I am surprised they are not $1000 instead of $800, but maybe that is because they use their own hardware instead of paying Duncan, Floyd, and Hipshot.

Shask

Reaction score
Dude nice! Any issues with the neck so far? That bevel looks comfortable as hell.

HNGD man!

Nope, flying all over the neck easily! The flat necks like Jackson always make me feel like it is struggle to reach the top string.... like I need alien E.T. fingers to reach the top string. That is how I felt on the Floyd Custom 24 I played. It seems like the roundness of the neck is more important to me than the thickness. For example, my Banshee is WAY thinner, but it is still round, so it doesn't give me issues like a Jackson or Ibanez. I wasn't sure if the 10" radius would bug me, but so far I don't noticed any issues. Most of my guitars are 14" or 16".

Yep, the bevel is one reason why I decided on one of these. Sick of arm contours that are always in the wrong spot. My Kiesel is beveled and 25" scale also. Might have found a nice little niche of specs that work well for me.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Just remembering now.... up until recently some SE's would come in different neck profiles, especially the CU22 SE vs. CU24 SE. For quite awhile CU22's would have the wide-fat carve, while the CU24's had the wide-thin carve. Perhaps this would explain at least some of the discrepancy issues?

thedonal

Reaction score
Congratulations and happy new guitar day!

I still absolutely adore my 2015 Anniversary SE. It's my main go to guitar now. And I still have no intention of changing the pickups- they sound ace.

I'd love the Floyd version of the current model, but really can't justify it right now. Would make aperfect foil to my 2015 with the slightly more aggressive (so I've heard) newer pickups.

I'm still surprised they don't put 10s on the SE models though.

Dantas

Reaction score
The rosewood fretboard looks great on yours!....I played a PRS SE Custom 24 (the 30th aniversary edition) other day, and the fretboard looked horrible, lifeless and almost greyish....still was a great guitar, and the stock pickups surprised me with the clean sounds. Happy NGD!