NGD: RG 2228A

Taylord

Reaction score
Haven't done an NGD post in a long long time!

Pics:

If I ever got an 8 string, it was gonna be this one. It sat on Reverb for a couple months and the seller finally made me a decent deal. Just got it back from a good setup. Replaced the pots and worked on the frets a bit. Plays much better. I've played 7s for years but this will be a new adventure. A few dings for being 10 years old but yay! My 1077xl got an ERG pal!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Congrats! They're great instruments. I was on the same boat as you and wanted only an RG2228A as my first 8 stringer. Lucked out with the black one last year and love it to bits.

mungiisi

Reaction score
Congrats on your NGD! That's really the RG2228A model to go with - white color with matching headstock and the passive mount pickups.

77zark77

Reaction score
Sold my RG2228 'cos 27" isn't my thing but have to admit it's a great instrument that offers mature of thinkings about it

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
That's an insanely good and comfy instrument.
I have the black one with active pickups and had always loved to pair it with a white one with passive pickups like yours
HNGD!

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Love it! The RG2228A is my ideal 8 string, at least for attainable ones. A J-Custom would be the dream :)

I'm pretty happy with my RG8 w/ upgraded pickups for now though. Speaking of pickups, how do you like the D-Activators? How would you compare them to other pickups you have experience with? I have some BKP Holydivers in mine which I like, but would prefer something with tighter attack I don't think alnico magnets are ideal for the 8th string.

Taylord

Reaction score
Congrats on your RG8! I had some Holydivers in a guitar years ago and really liked them. I think the D activators are pretty solid. Seem to be pretty neutral and good all rounder type pickup. Not as cutting as the Aftermath in my 1077 that I really like for Rhythm work, but I don't feel the need to upgrade them at least for now.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Taylord congrats on that! Seems like you don't see a lot of white ones around and it looks great!

What do you think of the bridge on this? I've been looking at lower spec models with the double locking bridge wondering if it's a big upgrade from the standard RG8 bridges.

Taylord

Reaction score
Thanks man!

This one needed a good setup after I got it. But I think it's pretty solid so far. I don't have any experience with the RG8 bridge to speak on. I would guess the RG8 would still be fine though!

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an RG8 and I like it, I was just assuming tuning stability would be a little better with that double locking system 😊