NGD! The guitar to replace all my other guitars! (Warning: very very pic heavy!)

• Thread starter Whitestrat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whitestrat

Reaction score
One thing I'd like to mention: This guitar would really also not be possible without the winding genius of Rod Kinkade of Skatterbrane Pickups.

I had a certain tone in mind for this guitar, and though i've done some business with Rod in the past, none of his sets really scratched the itch I was after. Don't get me wrong, his PAFs are among the best offerings out there, and I'd gladly stand byhind any set of those any given day, and I did, before this guitar came out.

I was after something I couldn't find in other winders standard work. (as far as my trials went). Not Bareknuckles, not Tom Holmes, not Lollars nor even Gibson stock pickups. I also went through the usual suspects of running through DiMarzios and Duncans. No, not even Rod's own pickups had that, though everyone always offered some semblance of what I wanted, but never the complete package.

What I wanted was a Satriani-esque neck tone, without the muddiness and compression the PAF Joe offered. I also wanted the complexity and overtones of the PAF-type pickups. They had to be low output, and extremely clean sounding, which was a problem with many PAF-type neck pickups. I wanted something open, and almost single-coil-like in attack, yet with the warmth of a humbucker. No, a P90 didn't work either. The tone had to be nice and bitey at lower portions of the neck, but at the upper registers, had to stay open, not tighten up, but still have an increasing "ooo" tone, and still bloom like a PAF!

Then, for the bridge, I wanted something hotter, that screams. Still keeping in the vowel-like tone of PAFs, but without the edge. Something really big and creamy, without the compression and loss of detail. Similar to a SD APHII kind of tone, but with more clarity and more "3D-ness". I didn't want twang, but more of a "brraaannnngggg" sort of sound, if that makes sense. It had to work well with all sorts of music, even for hard hitting metal, yet still retain the tonal complexities of a nice vintage PAF and have a very woody tone with the right amounts of gain.

The pickups had to be extremely controllable, and pick sensitive. Hit it just right, and you get a straight forward tone. Hit it softer, and the notes round up, and become almost voice like. Hit it hard, and it opens up into a scream. All of this without adjusting your volume level or gain level (imagine a Crunchbox on full?)

I corresponded with Rod over this custom set for a bit. He knew what I was shooting for, but I got the feeling he never made something like before, and Joe Satriani was hardly his cup of tea. This was a guy who was into Derek Trucks and Steely Dan. Very old school. Yet he said he will try, and deliver the tones I wanted. He made the set, put in an A4 magnet in the neck, and an A2 in the bridge. The rest of the details, he won't tell me.:lol: Things like wire gauge and the number of turns I guess remains his secret.

Well, all of that's history now, and what I have in my hands is a guitar that not only is made of the materials I'd like to own (at least once), like BRW and lightweight Honduran Mahogany, made to my own specified dimensions. And what really completes it is this set of pickups that Rod has made. They deliver EVERYTHING I have asked for. I honestly didn't except him to be able to pull it off. I thought I'd end up with a nice set of pickups, and that's it. I did not expect him to give me exactly what I expected, as I mentioned, I thought that wasn't his cup of tea. And yet, he has kept the measurements of this set and the materials used well within PAF variant specs. how he has done this, I have no clue.:bowdown:

But like I said, I'd like to take the chance to thank not only Jason and team for building me a dream guitar, but also Rod for completing the package with his pickups. :metal:

BigK

Reaction score
That is gorgeous! very classy. The Inlay is great. I like how you dont really see the brances and berrys etc from far away and the main part stands out.

Beautiful maple cap too.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Love everything about this guitar. Down to the binding, pickup rings and tuner buttons.

Vinchester

Reaction score
Epic attention to detail. Awesome axe! I'd love to hear how it sounds :D

A big congrats to you! Well done on that original inlay as well. I love how it has green and brown pearloid as vine and leafs.

Whitestrat

Reaction score
A big congrats to you! Well done on that original inlay as well. I love how it has green and brown pearloid as vine and leafs.

1. There's no pearloid in that inlay. That large symbol is made of real mother-of-pearl. It's not even acrylic! Heh...

2. The brown and green bits aren't pearloid either. They're stabilized wood that's been dyed.

nik35

Reaction score
Kinda resembles a PRS Santana, just way sexier. Gotta love that gorgeous inlay.

Whitestrat

Reaction score
Kinda resembles a PRS Santana, just way sexier. Gotta love that gorgeous inlay.

I actually think the Hamer Studio (or the old Hamer Modern Classic) was more an inspiration to Jason Schroeder for this model. Not the PRS Santana or West Street that many think it is.

I don't know why but it reminds me of a pub:lol:

:lol::hbang:

Bradd

Reaction score
That is one damn fine guitar you have there sir. do not let me near it. or i will take it. haha. not even joking. -_-

zero_end

Lurker
Reaction score

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Gorgeous! I wish I kept my semi-custom LP build, it would have saved me time and money. I also miss my high end guitars with gorgeous figure thanks to you!

R0ADK1LL

Troublemaker
Reaction score
Wow, that's so awesome that you managed to get exactly what you wanted! After seeing all of the fine details you put into it, all I wanted do do was hear it. And it sounds AMAZING. Congrats.