Nolly signature "Polymath" BKPs

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome, I'm very happy to have been of help!
Would you say the Polymath is mainly voiced for lower tunings? Or would it sound good in tunings like Drop C# and Eb standard? Tonally for me I lean more towards the heavier side of pop punk and hard rock (like tremonti and Tony from Godsmack).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Are people really not considering what importing fairy dust adds to the cost, or that where they live makes that difference?

Are people just making blank assumptions based on country of residence?

The UK is not in EU, so EU dealers are also subject to VAT (extra 21% in my case) when importing these. Same as with Duncan, Dimarzio or whatever. BTW, the website I linked is german.

So what's your point, exactly?

Last edited:

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Would you say the Polymath is mainly voiced for lower tunings? Or would it sound good in tunings like Drop C# and Eb standard? Tonally for me I lean more towards the heavier side of pop punk and hard rock (like tremonti and Tony from Godsmack).

I know Nolly is a big Andy Timmons fan and plays in drop C# a lot, so I'd say you're good there!

In Polymath-related news, I just opted for them in a Mayones that I'm ordering that's 27" for drop C. I'll let you all know how they are in April when I've paid the thing off!

ScottThunes1960

Reaction score
what's your point, exactly?

Apologies, sir - I typed that post in a hurry, and see now that it reads like I was somehow trying to contradict you. I was agreeing with you and quoting your post to point out that many of the posters complaining about price differences seem to have forgotten that they happen to live in one of the two countries these brands are being manufactured in; and aren’t considering that buyers in non-US/UK states are dealing with end-prices dictated by import overhead, rather than just BKP “fairy dust.”

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It's what? 200 bucks? Not exactly a king's ransom, just ridiculously priced for a pickup.

It is high for a pickup, and I'm sure that's going to prevent a lot of people from making the leap. No way I'm buying a full set before I test a guitar with them and I'd be skeptical I'd find reason to justify it. But I just find it odd that anyone would be using the logic of some SDs being $50 cheaper to justify not purchasing some pickup that they've never tried before. If you try it and think it's not worth the $50, by all means, but obviously right now you don't have any interesting basis for comparison. This is like the pickup version of "Green Eggs & Ham".

Reaction score
It is high for a pickup, and I'm sure that's going to prevent a lot of people from making the leap. No way I'm buying a full set before I test a guitar with them and I'd be skeptical I'd find reason to justify it. But I just find it odd that anyone would be using the logic of some SDs being $50 cheaper to justify not purchasing some pickup that they've never tried before. If you try it and think it's not worth the $50, by all means, but obviously right now you don't have any interesting basis for comparison. This is like the pickup version of "Green Eggs & Ham".
If a cheaper, more accessible pickup does the job at a fraction of the price then it works.

Pickups are often the "new shiny thing" when they're a small part in the overall chain. I find it extremely improbable that the 200+ dollar pickup is somehow going to give me something I can't get from cheaper alternatives. There are a million pickup brands and the boutique "this guy has'em so it'll help me" thing one tends to grow out of after a certain point. I don't need to try an ultra expensive pickup when what I have is perfect for the job..so already that pickup isn't anything close to worth the money.

narad

Reaction score
If a cheaper, more accessible pickup does the job at a fraction of the price then it works.

Pickups are often the "new shiny thing" when they're a small part in the overall chain. I find it extremely improbable that the 200+ dollar pickup is somehow going to give me something I can't get from cheaper alternatives. There are a million pickup brands and the boutique "this guy has'em so it'll help me" thing one tends to grow out of after a certain point. I don't need to try an ultra expensive pickup when what I have is perfect for the job..so already that pickup isn't anything close to worth the money.

I don't want to "cool story, bro" you, especially since this is the Nolly thread and not the Misha thread. But what you're doing is basically the same as me going onto the Lamborghini forums (a car I have no experience with) and saying, "My Honda Civic works for me! Don't need no over-priced sci-fi car!" Like if what works for you works so well you don't even feel like there's value in trying new things, like... what do you want?

Reaction score
I don't want to "cool story, bro" you, especially since this is the Nolly thread and not the Misha thread. But what you're doing is basically the same as me going onto the Lamborghini forums (a car I have no experience with) and saying, "My Honda Civic works for me! Don't need no over-priced sci-fi car!" Like if what works for you works so well you don't even feel like there's value in trying new things, like... what do you want?
I showed up to check out the new pickup, read about it, then saw the price and laughed. This isn't a luxury car vs a civic. SDs and BKP are both great quality. BKP isn’t a luxury brand, just boutique and touted as amazing, as expensive relatively inaccessible gear is...the fact that you keep trying to suggest it's something special proves the point.

Beyond all that, it's a different opinion. It's okay. It won't hurt you.

narad

Reaction score
BKP isn’t a luxury brand, just boutique and touted as amazing, as expensive relatively inaccessible gear is...the fact that you keep trying to suggest it's something special proves the point.

That I think BKP are "something special" is going to be a hard sell -- I've been chronically underwhelmed by them and basically swapped out all my guitars that came with BKP sets for EMGs. I think they're different, as they're obviously made in different ways.

So I'm just trying to appeal to the commonsense notion that you don't know what you're missing if you've never tried it. And arguing about how two things compare when you only know one of them is a pretty logically weak place to be standing. Pretty innocuous and objective statements. In that sense, it would be super great (I think) to not spend forever talking about whether people can be equally happy paying $50 less for SDs when no one even has the pickups...

Reaction score
That I think BKP are "something special" is going to be a hard sell -- I've been chronically underwhelmed by them and basically swapped out all my guitars that came with BKP sets for EMGs. I think they're different, as they're obviously made in different ways.

So I'm just trying to appeal to the commonsense notion that you don't know what you're missing if you've never tried it. And arguing about how two things compare when you only know one of them is a pretty logically weak place to be standing. Pretty innocuous and objective statements. In that sense, it would be super great (I think) to not spend forever talking about whether people can be equally happy paying $50 less for SDs when no one even has the pickups...
It's not that serious. Basic comment "I'm not pressed for super expensive pickups when I found what works and it's a lot cheaper".
No one is spending forever dwelling on it but you. A statement was made..that's it

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's not that serious. Basic comment "I'm not pressed for super expensive pickups when I found what works and it's a lot cheaper".
No one is spending forever dwelling on it but you. A statement was made..that's it

Cool story bro

that’s as relevant as saying that I’m probably not going to get these anytime soon because I already have like 3000 dollars worth of pickups just laying around.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m banking on this thread diverting into a “fortin sucks” thread somewhere in the next couple of pages..I’ll be waiting

just heard a cali demo and it was some of the worst shit I've ever heard, I can't stand the plugins either, they just sound like twangy thin garbage

fortin sucks

am I doing it right

Reaction score
just heard a cali demo and it was some of the worst shit I've ever heard, I can't stand the plugins either, they just sound like twangy thin garbage

fortin sucks

am I doing it right
I mean....you ain't wrong. I remember when they were the holy grail around here, now I never hear anything about them

Last edited:

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
And nearly two years after its release the evil pumpkin production amp still hasn’t made its way into anybody’s hands other than killertone…epic fail

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ay I buy entirely too many plugins but I still find myself keeping fortin cali on "rhythm gtr L".

("rhythm gtr R" is currently the STL purple nightmare but PA's engl savage 120 is giving it a run for its money, so my tone's a little bit djenty)