Nolly signature "Polymath" BKPs

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Is that a true temperament fretted Kiesel?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Is that a true temperament fretted Kiesel?
Yes. He had the fretboard made, sent it to Kiesel to have it installed (he's a Kiesel endorsed/endorsing artist). A "never again" situation from Jeff. :lol: That said, they've said the same thing about quilted redwood tops, black bursts on white...

jvms

Reaction score
Yes. He had the fretboard made, sent it to Kiesel to have it installed (he's a Kiesel endorsed/endorsing artist). A "never again" situation from Jeff. :lol: That said, they've said the same thing about quilted redwood tops, black bursts on white...

Aparently True Temperament had sokme kind of contest where people on Instagram or wherever chose a few brands TT would send some samples to and see if they could come up with some deal for future guitars. I'm hoping this will work. TT and Evertune are the best combo ever. Everyone should try!

LotsOfGrease

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I seriously appreciate you going into such detail on this! This was of particular interest to me as I have the Ragnaroks in one guitar, the Silos in another, and I am weighing up my options for pickups on an Aristides order I'm making I'm the near future. I prefer the Ragnaroks for most high gain tones, so is there anything you could say that might sway me from loading my next guitar with a thermonuclear ceramic-magnet equipped monstrosity and towards the Polymaths?
What do you like/dislike about the silos vs the rags? I'm looking into one these pickups. I love the upper mid range grind of the polymaths but want a pickup that can do that with a little more bass and output. As Nolly said the silo shares that mid forwardness with the polymath for the bridge, but is it the same kind of mid sound as the polymath or more lower mid sounds? I know the silo has some more bass which is perfect and if it can get that upper mid grind the polymath has I'm sold. If the silo can't I was curious if the rags could.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
What do you like/dislike about the silos vs the rags? I'm looking into one these pickups. I love the upper mid range grind of the polymaths but want a pickup that can do that with a little more bass and output. As Nolly said the silo shares that mid forwardness with the polymath for the bridge, but is it the same kind of mid sound as the polymath or more lower mid sounds? I know the silo has some more bass which is perfect and if it can get that upper mid grind the polymath has I'm sold. If the silo can't I was curious if the rags could.

Hey! I've just seen this now, so my apologies for the late response. I have since solld both the guitars with the Silos and Ragnaroks in them due to an unexpected illness, and the Silos were in a 7 string, but I'll do my best to give you my perspective. For reference, I have the Polymaths in a Mayones Duvell, and I actually cannot get ernough of them; when I got the guitar I didn't even use the humbucker tones for a day or so because I enjoyed the feel and sound of the split coils that much.

I loved the Ragnaroks for anything aggressive, and even for very cold, ambient tones, but I wasn't the biggest fan of them for mid-gain, Andy Timmons attempts. They were always just a little bit too hot or compressed, and, while I didn't mind because I use a modeller and it's easy to make a patch just for that guitar, it was still the one thing that I was just a bit frustrating.

To be honest, I never got to grips with the Silos as much as I'd like to - they were in a guitar that was always problematic, and I only had it for a couple of months after a luthier got it the point where I could play it consistently. I will say, they had significantly better split coil tones than the Ragnarok; probably around the same as the Polymaths.

For your case, I'd say the best bet would be the Silos. The Ragnaroks don't have what I'd call a upper midrange grind. They were very inoffensive the high mids and treble, which I was very happy with since I practice through headphones. They're great, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if they have what you're looking for. The Silos are definitely fatter, and the high end isn't quite as rolled off as athe Ragnaroks.

I hope that was helpful!

katsumura78

Reaction score
Music Store Live for BKP’s. Ask for Ben. Got silos for a baritone and polymaths for a cu24. Send him a screenshot of the build on the BKP website and he’ll send you the cart to pay the tab. 12 weeks later BKP’s in your mailbox.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Music Store Live for BKP’s. Ask for Ben. Got silos for a baritone and polymaths for a cu24. Send him a screenshot of the build on the BKP website and he’ll send you the cart to pay the tab. 12 weeks later BKP’s in your mailbox.
Nice thanks for the recommendation. They've honestly got some different pickups in the same configuration I would buy in if they only had tri-tab bases.

landmvrks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what to put in my 70s Explorer. Aiming to play mostly a mix of pop-punk and more classic rock/metal. Think the Polymaths are a good option? BKP said themselves a VH II or Polymath set would be good, but just wanting some more opinions on which way to go.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what to put in my 70s Explorer. Aiming to play mostly a mix of pop-punk and more classic rock/metal. Think the Polymaths are a good option? BKP said themselves a VH II or Polymath set would be good, but just wanting some more opinions on which way to go.
The words "punk" and "what pickups should I pick" should not be in the same sentence!

Edit: I realize that they weren't in the same sentence but you get what I mean!