Non-djent Strandberg 8 string

• Thread starter wakjob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I've been trying to tell people that 8-strings can be used for more than just metal (don't get me wrong, I love metal), but some people just don't seem to get it. Now I can just show them this video.

We get it. We just can't do it.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
They really aren't, it's just a different sound. The bridge in particular is akin to the angled bridge pickup on a Tele, SSS Strat, or a 3-pickup Gibson Nighthawk.

That's my expectation, but a lot of folks feel the pick-ups have to be angled. Maybe the hum bucker tames enough of the "Tele Twang" in the bridge. I don't really hear anything noticeably different with the neck pick-up.

Ray

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
that was amazing, loved listening to that
...and who says emgs cant do cleans? I was digging that clean tone.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
I'm not hearing anything that would indicate the straight pick-ups in a multi-scale guitar are any problem. Anybody here anything to to indicate otherwise?

Ray

The fan on a Strandberg isn't that dramatic. Only 1.5" across 8 strings. Its all a case by case basis but with such a narrow fan you wouldn't need to compensate for string response with angled pickups. Worth noting that the guitar in the video is an S7 Boden though which has straight pickups. IIRC the AES Bodens have angled pickups.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
That's my expectation, but a lot of folks feel the pick-ups have to be angled. Maybe the hum bucker tames enough of the "Tele Twang" in the bridge. I don't really hear anything noticeably different with the neck pick-up.

Ray

Perhaps. Another possibility is the desire for that tight, bright sound that's hot right now. Same reason I've seen people flip out when a bridge pickup looks like it's set back an extra centimeter from the bridge saddles :lol:

The difference is more significant in the bridge position because the difference in fan angle vs pickup angle is greater there, and also because timbre seems to shift more significantly near the string's endpoint.