"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone is into car YouTube stuff but holy shit can I not stand Finnegan's Garage.

Guy has big name credentials, so he's got money to burn and companies sending hundreds of thousands worth of free stuff to put in his personal cars, yet all of his shit is half finished or broken and he does nearly zero of the work on his stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone is into car YouTube stuff but holy shit can I not stand Finnegan's Garage.

Guy has big name credentials, so he's got money to burn and companies sending hundreds of thousands worth of free stuff to put in his personal cars, yet all of his shit is half finished or broken and he does nearly zero of the work on his stuff.
Had to look him up and I have not. Just the thumbnails of his videos make me not want to watch.

Which is funny because Cleetus McFarland does the same exact thing but his stuff never bothered me when I had watched it.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Ive been using Reverb to try to funnel people into buying it on Marketplace etc. Add the ol' "this item is crossposted on Facebook" or similar mention in the bottom.

Good thinking calling out the cross-posts by name. I relisted with a higher price and called out Talkbass and CL at the bottom.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had to look him up and I have not. Just the thumbnails of his videos make me not want to watch.

Which is funny because Cleetus McFarland does the same exact thing but his stuff never bothered me when I had watched it.
He is/was co-host of Roadkill from Motor Trend ~10 years ago when serialized YouTube shows really started taking off. It was a cool show, kind of a black sheep car show because everyone was doing polished brand new everything builds in $50m dollar auto garages, and Roadkill was basically jamming a big engine in a rotted out roller, jury rigging stuff on the side of the road, etc. Had a cool vibe.

Roadkill ended up being the most popular thing on MotorTrend/Hot Rod and it went from being black sheep to cash cow.

As a result, Finnegan gets "status" with other car guys and any time he decides he wants to start a new project, he can call up XYZ company and tell them they'll get rep for being on one of his builds, so they'll send him top of the line built engines, transmissions, suspension, tools, or they'll take the project in and do the whole thing for him.

Which I don't hate but right off the bat, a departure from his brand. But the shows themselves are awful. Makes no progress ("We installed the windshield wipers today!"), and just about every build breaks before he takes it to the track. It'll be a dicktease clickbait about bringing it to the drag strip, then it doesn't even get off the trailer.

Cleetus makes a premium channel, yeah. Every show has a payoff or it's at least entertaining. Finnegan's show is very dry. Him and his friends comparing carburetor jets and opening boxes of new shit for a half hour.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Roadkill was awesome! I used to watch the hell out of that on TV. As well as Garage Squad, Fantomworks, and Last Chance Garage. Motor Trend had some entertaining stuff on it.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He is/was co-host of Roadkill from Motor Trend ~10 years ago when serialized YouTube shows really started taking off. It was a cool show, kind of a black sheep car show because everyone was doing polished brand new everything builds in $50m dollar auto garages, and Roadkill was basically jamming a big engine in a rotted out roller, jury rigging stuff on the side of the road, etc. Had a cool vibe.

Roadkill ended up being the most popular thing on MotorTrend/Hot Rod and it went from being black sheep to cash cow.

As a result, Finnegan gets "status" with other car guys and any time he decides he wants to start a new project, he can call up XYZ company and tell them they'll get rep for being on one of his builds, so they'll send him top of the line built engines, transmissions, suspension, tools, or they'll take the project in and do the whole thing for him.

Which I don't hate but right off the bat, a departure from his brand. But the shows themselves are awful. Makes no progress ("We installed the windshield wipers today!"), and just about every build breaks before he takes it to the track. It'll be a dicktease clickbait about bringing it to the drag strip, then it doesn't even get off the trailer.

Cleetus makes a premium channel, yeah. Every show has a payoff or it's at least entertaining. Finnegan's show is very dry. Him and his friends comparing carburetor jets and opening boxes of new shit for a half hour.
I'm guessing he's a tonneau guy as well?

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I just wonder how many of the people in the catatonicyouths videos have families and loved ones - and what percentage of them didn't stop and be like "hey i think you're great but are you sure you want to publish this on the internet?" or how many just love their partners/children so much that they encouraged them to follow their dreams and enabled these classic tunes without hesitation.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Poppa Bless has one of those voices that sounds like he needs to clear his throat. I find myself clearing my own when I hear voices like that.

I think dog racing is lame as hell but props to that guy if he rescued a retired race dog (if that's his dog he is petting). My wife tells me retired greyhounds make great couch potato buddies for people who rescue them.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Super off topic but has anyone seen the OJ - Made in America documentary? So good, highly recommend it. I often let in run when I want something to play for some hours while I do work or something but don't want it to be quiet or music.

Anyway, a guy on the documentary, Joe Bell, a friend of OJs, has this very hoarse voice and I feel like I at one point saw a comedy show where the comedian was making fun of it. I can't figure out who would have been making such a niche reference. Anyone know what special it was from?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Super off topic but has anyone seen the OJ - Made in America documentary? So good, highly recommend it. I often let in run when I want something to play for some hours while I do work or something but don't want it to be quiet or music.

Anyway, a guy on the documentary, Joe Bell, a friend of OJs, has this very hoarse voice and I feel like I at one point saw a comedy show where the comedian was making fun of it. I can't figure out who would have been making such a niche reference. Anyone know what special it was from?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
It's always so interesting hearing these testimonials. My Korean ibanez destroyer I got new in 2003 is so good that I just bought another one of the exact same model and my Korean rg470 is great as well (well, everything but the trem)

Schecter has had guitars made in Korea for a long time as far as I know. I think WMI makes good instruments.

Different strokes, ymmv, etc etc

Well said. From what I hear CNC manufacturing has taken over in recent years even at the lowest levels, making quality consistent at least. Certainly this quality was possible before, but more hit and miss. I think your destroyer might have been positioned as a higher end guitar as well, meaning more attention to detail and such from those building.

So it makes sense that we could have 2 different experiences with a product from the same brand and origin, and both be correct (more or less)