Obscura - A Valediction (19-11-2021)

• Thread starter Pietjepieter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I counted the notes and can confirm, 12,893,679 notes in this song. They might even have breached the sound barrier with the speed of those licks. Tasty song, interesting how they can make technical death metal sound 'catchy'.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Song is good but the production leaves it down hard, which is definitely an oddity for the band. Did they change mix engineers on this one?

I was also surprised by the mix. I prefer the Diluvium mix.

This song is surprisingly good. That solo is nice

I liked the song, but I kinda missed Rafael, especially for the solo. That’s just personal preference, I’m a Rafael (and Per Nilsson) phrasing mega fan.

iamaom

Reaction score
That solo section gave me blue balls: Christian performing a solo, cut to Steffen playing a powerchord with a bored look on his face, cut again to Christian playing solo, cut again to Steffen powerchord, cut to Christian playing, CUT AGAIN to Steffen powerchord. I kept waiting for Steffen to jump in.

nightlight

Reaction score
I just checked their wiki. 18 people have been in this band at various points of time. Only Steffen has been constantly in it.

Does anyone else feel David Diepold's drumming didn't have any feeling when it came to the song? I don't know, it just sounded so generic to me, though he really can play as his YouTube videos prove.

Wc707

Reaction score
I'm gonna wait and see how the other songs are. Not super blown away by this, but hopeful. I like Muenzners approach in Alkaloid and his solo stuff.
Omnivium is my favorite, and Diluvium is my 2nd because it's very different and fresh and I dig Trujillos leads a lot. Wasnt a huge fan of Akroasis but still respect it and really think the fretless guitar Fountainhead brought to it was awesome.

I just checked their wiki. 18 people have been in this band at various points of time. Only Steffen has been constantly in it.

Does anyone else feel David Diepold's drumming didn't have any feeling when it came to the song? I don't know, it just sounded so generic to me, though he really can play as his YouTube videos prove.
Yeah I think general consensus is Steffen is real passionate about his art and let's the other members know. Havent heard good things from Fountainheads side, or other members but those are just one side of the coin.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Am I the only one that found this a bit... boring? I loved Akroasis but didn't jive with Diluvium as much.

Loved Diluvium, this new song not so much. To each his own heh. Future will tell who wins the battle of the Obs bands.

I'm gonna wait and see how the other songs are. Not super blown away by this, but hopeful. I like Muenzners approach in Alkaloid and his solo stuff.

Same for me. I guess the guys need to get back into the groove of composing together. Speaking of which, who has the writing credits for this song?

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Well, it's like every other Obscura track I've heard. Super technical and intricate, but painfully boring.
I feel like I really have to sit down and actively sift through their music to be interested, otherwise like you said, technical but not much else. Their earlier music was more "impactful"? Just as intricate but I enjoyed listening to Omnivium and earlier.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Am I the only one that found this a bit... boring? I loved Akroasis but didn't jive with Diluvium as much.
Yeah, I didn't make it through the track. I love Akroasis but nothing here grabbed me or surprised me at all

Wc707

Reaction score
Loved Diluvium, this new song not so much. To each his own heh. Future will tell who wins the battle of the Obs bands.

Same for me. I guess the guys need to get back into the groove of composing together. Speaking of which, who has the writing credits for this song?
Pretty sure I saw Muenzner post a reply that he wrote most of it

Sammy J

Reaction score
I’m like the polar opposite to most in this thread. Diluvium was forgettable, Akroasis was ok…their best album to my ears is Cosmogenesis and this gives catchy, tech vibes that I’m into.

interested for more.