Obscura - A Valediction (19-11-2021)

• Thread starter Pietjepieter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
No proper words in short how much I love the new record and specially standing out is "When stars collide". Obscura being my nr. 1 techdeath band for 2 decades and Bjorn Strid my favorite top 3 male vocal of all times. Neoclassical shred is my theme and black and chrome cars and guitars like mine.... . Im in tears literally. And Muenzner coming back! Overall it would be proper way to finish while being on top. Valediction mates.....

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Album out, anyone listen all ready to it in full?

I think i listen to most of the songs, not the album as whole. I really like it, guitar work is top notch, song writing is there, one of my top albums of the year I think.

Waiting till bandcamp is updated or receive CD to check it as a whole album!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Uh...did anyone else get serious necrophagist "Only ash remains" vibes from this song?

nickgray

Reaction score
Nice album overall, but the production is rather flaccid. Guitars are too loud and way too middy, not enough lows in the mix, the drums sound anemic. At least it's pretty clean, clear, and non fatiguing. I'll take that over brickwalled nonsense any day.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Album is pretty good, and I'm glad Christian is back since he was part of the lineup that released some of their most loved material.
That said though, I do have a few nitpicks about the album. Christian's deep dive into power metal the last few years (though he's loved it forever) is really showing on this album and that's not necessarily a good thing for me. I don't dislike that type of music nor is it bad sounding, but it does sound pretty far from what I used to think of Obscura as. Also, the kick drums sound absolutely awful/like a sprinkler system (See the song "In Unity"). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were all just programmed.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but Fountainhead was my favorite era of Obscura just because his parts were so original. I honestly have to wonder if Christian will be able to play them since Rafael struggled with them for a while. Akroasis ended up growing to be my favorite album by them and I really didn't expect it to when I first listened to it.

This new album is good, but it feels a bit tired to me. There are a lot of great leads but for a tech-death band, it's kinda lacking in riffs. Another surprise to me, but Steffen's vocals are also super good on it. Better than he's ever sounded to me. His voice has a bit of strain to it now, but in a good way.

Rosal76

Reaction score
I honestly have to wonder if Christian will be able to play them since Rafael struggled with them for a while.

I'm thinking the only song from Akroasis they are going to play live is the song, Akroasis since it is the most recognizable. Maybe they'll also play Sermon of the seven suns and Ode to the sun live. Ode not being a overly technical song, it might be easier for Christian.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking the only song from Akroasis they are going to play live is the song, Akroasis since it is the most recognizable. Maybe they'll also play Sermon of the seven suns and Ode to the sun live. Ode not being a overly technical song, it might be easier for Christian.

You're overlooking Ten Sepiroth as well; that song + Akroasis + Sermon of the Seven Suns are the big three off that album.

chopeth

Reaction score
Album is pretty good, and I'm glad Christian is back since he was part of the lineup that released some of their most loved material.
That said though, I do have a few nitpicks about the album. Christian's deep dive into power metal the last few years (though he's loved it forever) is really showing on this album and that's not necessarily a good thing for me. I don't dislike that type of music nor is it bad sounding, but it does sound pretty far from what I used to think of Obscura as. Also, the kick drums sound absolutely awful/like a sprinkler system (See the song "In Unity"). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were all just programmed.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but Fountainhead was my favorite era of Obscura just because his parts were so original. I honestly have to wonder if Christian will be able to play them since Rafael struggled with them for a while. Akroasis ended up growing to be my favorite album by them and I really didn't expect it to when I first listened to it.

This new album is good, but it feels a bit tired to me. There are a lot of great leads but for a tech-death band, it's kinda lacking in riffs. Another surprise to me, but Steffen's vocals are also super good on it. Better than he's ever sounded to me. His voice has a bit of strain to it now, but in a good way.

I suscribe most of what you say, I also love Christian and missed him a lot in comparison to Rafael but being a fan of his solo work and the power metal acts he's in, I never thought it fitting Obscura and the results I wouldn't have bet for. Maybe I need to listen to it more, but I'm afraid I'm going to lean towards akroasis and omnivium as my favorites and start to forget about the new material. I especially hated Dilluvium, I never understood the good critics, absolutely nothing new, exactly same formulae and utterly forgettable stuff. BTW the new voice of Kummerer is cringeworthy for me, is that trying to imitate at the gates or any melodic death metal band or what?

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
Before some critics there must be said that the whole current line-up thoroughly enjoys themselves and what they are doing with the new record. I get really positive vibes from playthroughs, studio updates, songs and the reunion of the band. Diepold handles well, Thesseling sounds monstrous, Muenzner makes me happy and goosebumpy, Kummerer brings the darkness and anxiety.... Sounds like good old Obscura to me at last!
I admit that it lacks somewhat of this old special deathmetal element 2000 era had....Since then many suns have passed and now I appreciate what I hear. Yes the albums are different and thats the way of life.

Last edited:

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I suscribe most of what you say, I also love Christian and missed him a lot in comparison to Rafael but being a fan of his solo work and the power metal acts he's in, I never thought it fitting Obscura and the results I wouldn't have bet for. Maybe I need to listen to it more, but I'm afraid I'm going to lean towards akroasis and omnivium as my favorites and start to forget about the new material. I especially hated Dilluvium, I never understood the good critics, absolutely nothing new, exactly same formulae and utterly forgettable stuff. BTW the new voice of Kummerer is cringeworthy for me, is that trying to imitate at the gates or any melodic death metal band or what?
I didn't like Dilivium (whatever) either. Did nothing for me.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I really like this album. It sounds different than previous stuff. Mix is a little off to me but I still like the guitar tone and playing

shredmatters

Reaction score
Anyone goning?

OBSCURA "A Valediction North American 2022" Tour with ABYSMAL DAWN, VALE OF PNATH & INTERLOPER:
2/03/2022 San Diego, CA - Brick By Brick
2/04/2022 Mesa, AZ - Nile Theater
2/05/2022 Los Angeles, CA - 1720
2/06/2022 Las Vegas, NV - Backstage Bar
2/07/2022 Salt Lake City, UT - Urban Lounge
2/08/2022 Denver, CO - The Oriental Theater
2/10/2022 Oklahoma City. OK - Whisky Nights
2/11/2022 Austin, TX - Come And Take It Live
2/12/2022 Dallas, TX - Amplified Live
2/13/2022 Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
2/14/2022 New Orleans, LA - Santos
2/16/2022 Orlando. FL - The Haven
2/17/2022 West Palm Beach. FL - Respectable
2/18/2022 Tampa, OR - The Orpheum
2/19/2022 Atlanta, GA - Masquerade
2/20/2022 Nashville, TN - The Basement East
2/21/2022 Knoxville, TN - Batley's Knoxville
2/22/2022 Virginia Beach, VA - Elevation 27
2/23/2022 Baltimore, MD - Soundstage
2/24/2022 Harrisburg. PA - HMAC
2/25/2022 Brooklyn, NY - Knitting Factory
2/26/2022 Boston, MA - Sonia
2/27/2022 Hartford, CT - Webster Underground
2/28/2022 Quebec City, Canada - Imperial Bell
3/01/2022 Montreal, Canada - Foufounes
3/02/2022 Ottawa, Canada - Maverick's
3/03/2022 Toronto, Canada - Lee's Palace
3/04/2022 Rochester, NY - Montage Music Hall
3/05/2022 Pittsburgh, PA - Preserving Underground
3/06/2022 Indianapolis, IN - Emerson Theatre
3/07/2022 Louisville.KY - Diamon Concert Hall
3/08/2022 Detroit, MI - The Sanctuary
3/09/2022 Chicago, IL - Reggies
3/10/2022 Milwaukee, MN - X-Ray
3/11/2022 St. Paul, MN - Turf Club
3/12/2022 Winnipeg, Canada - Park Theater
3/14/2022 Calgary, Canada - Dickens
3/15/2022 Edmonton, Canada - Starlite Room
3/17/2022 Vancouver, Canada - Rickshaw Theater
3/18/2022 Seattle,WA - El Corazon
3/19/2022 Portland, OR - Dante's
3/21/2022 Santa Cruz, CA - The Catalyst
3/22/2022 Petaluma, CA - Phoenix Theater
3/23/2022 Fresno, CA - Full Circle
269884380_483347506486835_2292484572430650433_n.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I have a tough time believing that tour will go through, and if they do then I imagine a good chunk of shows will end up postponed.

But I might grab tickets since last time Obscura came through, Steffen got fucked by passport something or other at the border and so everyone from supporting bands filled in.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I have a tough time believing that tour will go through, and if they do then I imagine a good chunk of shows will end up postponed.

But I might grab tickets since last time Obscura came through, Steffen got fucked by passport something or other at the border and so everyone from supporting bands filled in.

I hope it does just because I really wanna see abysmal dawn and vale of pnath. I only really like obscuras new material but would love to see them tear up with devoured usurper live