Obscura - A Valediction (19-11-2021)

• Thread starter Pietjepieter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like all of obscura's albums, I definitely don't love this one, and diluvium might be my favorite. You can certainly tell the Christian vs Rafael influences and I think it made this latest release be a little to power/thrash metally for my tastes, it makes it seem a bit less heavy to my ears.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Its definitely more melodic, less "brutal", but after initially disliking the singles, I gave it a listen. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

BusinessMan

Reaction score
News about the tour:
"NORTH AMERICA TOUR UPDATE

Abysmal Dawn are forced to pull out of our tour due to private reasons we honor and respect. We will travel with a three-band package instead and cannot wait to hit the road next month to see all of our fans in the United States and Canada! The world looks bright again and there is nothing better than celebrating our brand new album “A Valediction” and a selected best-of set with all of you. Pick up your tickets and see you in a bit!

Get your tickets now at realmofobscura.com/live/

“A Valediction North America 2022” Tour

OBSCURA
VALE OF PNATH
INTERLOPER"

Well that's a no from me now.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
So I was exciting to see these dudes this weekend and I heard from somewhere that Akroasis is in the setlist. Decided to look up a video of them playing it and I got this.

Boys and girls, I present to you "Obscura SHREDS"

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I like all of obscura's albums, I definitely don't love this one, and diluvium might be my favorite. You can certainly tell the Christian vs Rafael influences and I think it made this latest release be a little to power/thrash metally for my tastes, it makes it seem a bit less heavy to my ears.
Rafael’s influence is definitely missed (by me).

Rosal76

Reaction score
I love both Christian and Rafael's playing but Fountainhead set the bar so damned high that it's hard for me to not want to just hear more of his ideas instead.
Tom Fountainhead was the perfect next step for Obscura. Second to a 3rd Necrophagist album, I would have loved for him to have recorded a second Obscura album.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
14 long years and I finally got to see these guys last night. They were AMAZING! Just a spectacular show.
I've been friends with Christian for a long time via FB and we hung out the whole time talking about guitar legends. :lol:
He's just the man in every way. I love that guy.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
How's his hand/nerve condition affecting his hand? Any signs of getting better/worse?
I don't know a great deal about the situation but he's a monster player.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
How's his hand/nerve condition affecting his hand? Any signs of getting better/worse?
I don't know a great deal about the situation but he's a monster player.
We talked about that for a bit. It was really doing really well for him he said.
He's really come to a much better place with it. Warmed my heart to hear that.

I mean he played nearly flawless from everything I saw.

ADADAD

Reaction score
We talked about that for a bit. It was really doing really well for him he said.
He's really come to a much better place with it. Warmed my heart to hear that.

I mean he played nearly flawless from everything I saw.
You must have taken a bathroom break during Akroasis, the lead parts were completely butchered both times I saw them. Don't see why they butcher songs they know they are unable to perform.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
You must have taken a bathroom break during Akroasis, the lead parts were completely butchered both times I saw them. Don't see why they butcher songs they know they are unable to perform.

When I saw them with Veil of Pnath on their last US tour I walked out after they "played" that song. I was so disappointed. It wasn't even just a matter of Christian struggling to play it, it was more of him making the least effort imaginable to make the lead parts even sound similar at all.

It was pretty disheartening to see one of my guitar heroes disrespect someone's material to that degree. I get the hand thing, but come on man.

ADADAD

Reaction score
When I saw them with Veil of Pnath on their last US tour I walked out after they "played" that song. I was so disappointed. It wasn't even just a matter of Christian struggling to play it, it was more of him making the least effort imaginable to make the lead parts even sound similar at all.

It was pretty disheartening to see one of my guitar heroes disrespect someone's material to that degree. I get the hand thing, but come on man.
The first time I saw them, the cherry on top was Steffen saying something along the lines of it being better now live, because it was "out of tune" on the album, as if the fretless guitar wasn't the most interesting thing in their entire discography. Fuck that guy.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not as familiar with that song as I am with the other material.
So it didn't even cross my mind.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
The first time I saw them, the cherry on top was Steffen saying something along the lines of it being better now live, because it was "out of tune" on the album, as if the fretless guitar wasn't the most interesting thing in their entire discography. Fuck that guy.

He actually went on a rant about that as well when I saw them. Saying how it's all out of pitch and whatnot, but mentioned that the fans love it anyways.

I love each era of Obscura but Akroasis is one of the most original sounding albums out there. I wish Tom would start a similar death metal project.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Probably the relevant thread: looks like the entire band left again. Christian & David removed Obscura mentions from their social media bios and Jeroen hasn’t done anything with Obscura since the last music video.

I don't what's going on with David and Jeroen but Christian also left Alkaloid. I hope Christian's focal dystonia didn't get any worse because that would negatively affect his playing in any band that he's in. If he left Alkaloid and Obscura for musical differences, I would completely understand that but if he had to quit because his focal dystonia is getting worse, that would be very upsetting because he may not be able to release future guitar solo albums. I have some hope that it has nothing to do with his focal dystonia because 4 days ago on Christian's Facebook page, he is offering Skype guitar lessons. I've never had a Skype lesson with him but I would assume he would have to be playing guitar somewhat in the lessons.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I don't what's going on with David and Jeroen but Christian also left Alkaloid. I hope Christian's focal dystonia didn't get any worse because that would negatively affect his playing in any band that he's in. If he left Alkaloid and Obscura for musical differences, I would completely understand that but if he had to quit because his focal dystonia is getting worse, that would be very upsetting because he may not be able to release future guitar solo albums. I have some hope that it has nothing to do with his focal dystonia because 4 days ago on Christian's Facebook page, he is offering Skype guitar lessons. I've never had a Skype lesson with him but I would assume he would have to be playing guitar somewhat in the lessons.

You don't have to say focal dystonia so much