jd267

Reaction score
Guys I read that the axe ultra fits in the gator shallow cases is this true? Thinking of selling my bogner uber and getting a mesa power amp and a gator case for them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaCkCiTy

Reaction score
Does anyone still love their Axe FX Standard? If I got one, I'd be upgrading from a Boss gt8 which I'm sure wouldn't hold a candle to it! I'm not really an effects whore, but I've been struggling to get the tight tones I want out of my new 8 string and considering they're going for like 1/3 the price of a II, I'm thinking it's not a bad way to go! Thoughts?

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score
The Axe-Fx Standard/Ultra are still reliable and relevant with todays standards, however I feel most of the members here will suggest you to push for the Axe II (Probably should due to the standard/ultra being discontinued with no more updates after FW 11). FWIW The ultra has been in my possession for about 2 years and i'm still finding newer tones/things with it. :yesway:

Shask

Reaction score
The Standard is a good unit. I had one for awhile before I got the II. It is still better than anything else out there besides the II, and possibly Kemper (Haven't played one).

You will just find yourself tweaking more than you would with a II, but less than with something like a POD HD.

nangillala

Reaction score
I own a standard and it's still a great unit!
I miss some features of an ultra or the II, but if the specs fit you, the tone will as well!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Standard and ultras can give you great tones. Their downfall is they are a PITA to program if you are going in blind, while the axe II is much more user friendly. (owned both and still having the II and not planning to change for a long time)

Pandaonslaught

Reaction score
What are some high end power amps to pair with the axe fx 2? I've seen Freyette, Engl on the Tube side, and Matrix on the SS side. Looking for options to make an informed decision. thanks!

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Alright guys. I should be able to place my order for my MK II in a few days, but I just wanted to get some opinions. Do you guys really think it would be worth it to wait for a few weeks and drop the extra 300 dollars on the XL instead?

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
Depends on if you would use the new features. Sound should be the same.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Basically what I've gathered is that it's just more memory for storage but I really feel like MKII should have quite a bit.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
What are some high end power amps to pair with the axe fx 2? I've seen Freyette, Engl on the Tube side, and Matrix on the SS side. Looking for options to make an informed decision. thanks!

I would label them thusly;

Mesa/Engl/Carvin/Marshall (tube power amps) - good if you want the initial Axe FX toneshaping and effects with PA sims off. The power amp will provide a certain amount of colour to the tone, good if like me you are looking for consistency with flexibility. The different sims are still individual enough to make the unit worthwhile IMO.

Matrix/Samson/QSC etc. (solid state power amps) - good if you want more of the tone shaping to come from the Axe FX (PA sims on). Can also run cab sims on if you run straight into a FRFR speaker, but I myself prefer (again for consistency reasons) to use a regular guitar cab.

Fryette (tube power amp) - these IME are more flat than most regular tube guitar power amps, so you could look to run with either PA sims on or off. This could be useful depending on how you look at it, but one might argue that you may as well go with a Matrix or something similar to reduce the overall weight of your rig (if straight forward translation is your aim).

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Here's an odd one for you.

I run my axe fx 2 into a framus 2x12 (loaded with scumbacks) that has a matrix power amp built into it. I cannot for the life of me get a good tone with my cab sim on my axe fx 2 turned off. It just sounds overly fizzy and thin. Turn my cab block on and its all good... THAT'S NOT HOW IT'S MEANT TO WORK?!

taliababa

Reaction score
How are the overdrive effects on the Axe 2? I want to boost channel 1 & 2 on my VH4. I'm seriously considering getting one, when my tax return arrives.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
an axe fx 2 is overkill for just boost purposes.

The drive block is very good though. Really flexible.

taliababa

Reaction score
an axe fx 2 is overkill for just boost purposes.

The drive block is very good though. Really flexible.

I'll definitely be using more effects than just overdrives. There are a lot of folks who rave about other effects, but not a lot of info on the drives. Thanks for your help.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
The effects are top notch. Drives included.
The amp modelling might surprise you too ;)

taliababa

Reaction score
The effects are top notch. Drives included.
The amp modelling might surprise you too ;)

I might try out the preamp modeling and use the VH4 as the power amp.

Does it work well using the 4c method? After having a less than stellar experience with the TC G System (it introduced so much noise in the 4c method), I'm a little wary of going that route again.

Rokkaholic

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm getting back into guitar in a big way with a Axe-FX II purchase. I'm looking for a pair of home studio monitors to play through. I don't need top of the line of course, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting some crappy monitors. I'd really appreciate some suggestions!

Also suggestions for a DAW using the direct import would be appreciated as well.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Yamaha HS50ms work exceptionally well for me. For a little extra money you could get the HS80ms too depending on your budget.

I do all my recordings with cubase, it's very axe fx friendly