Seanthesheep

Reaction score
hey guys quick question, Im going to be buying some studio monitors soon and mainly using them for my axe fx for guitar/bass and quick mixing. I dont want to have to get a sub woofer but I will be dialing bass patches and mixing bass on these so I need the right bass response.

Im mainly looking at the Yamaha HS7s and HS8s. The HS7s are a reasonable size and all but Im worried they might not be able to handle the low end well enough, and that HS8s might be overkill. But 8" monitors seem to be the way to go if you dont want a sub woofer. I dont know, any opinions on the whole 8" vs 6.5"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I use the HS50m set. They're fine for bass.
Either of the larger will be fine too.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The OwnHammer High Gain Essentials pack is out. The clips and reviews sound very promising.

Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce a new set of library projects dubbed the High Gain Essentials. What is "essential" about them? They provision everything you need and nothing you don't for killer high gain tone in the studio, on stage, and at home - and, well, they sound so good you simply shouldn't be without them. I may be biased, but from some of the sound clips the beta testers have posted over in the recording forum, maybe not.

There are many, many more cabinets and speakers to come, however the first batch contains 9 single libraries, which you can find here:

High Gain Essentials: OwnHammer.com - Store

So far I couldn't recommend any one over another, the reason these are in the first run is there really isn't a bad one in the bunch. All very different sounding, and all have different sweet spots. As a recommendation for a place to start in the auditioning process, for me personally I like position 05 for the V30-CH-08, position 08 for the V30-CH-16, and position 03 for the V30-EN. Your mileage may vary. The cabs and power amp options will suit different sources and tonal aesthetics to taste.

Lastly, for those with Cab-Lab wanting to convert the .wav files to Ultra-Res, download the Axe-Fx-II.zip and the docs.zip. I have specially prepped files for this task in the Axe-Fx-II.zip as opposed to the Wave-Audio.zip. More info is in the PDF manual.

Hope everyone digs them!

High Gain Essentials : OwnHammer.com - Store

Gumbyx

Reaction score
hey guys quick question, Im going to be buying some studio monitors soon and mainly using them for my axe fx for guitar/bass and quick mixing. I dont want to have to get a sub woofer but I will be dialing bass patches and mixing bass on these so I need the right bass response.

Im mainly looking at the Yamaha HS7s and HS8s. The HS7s are a reasonable size and all but Im worried they might not be able to handle the low end well enough, and that HS8s might be overkill. But 8" monitors seem to be the way to go if you dont want a sub woofer. I dont know, any opinions on the whole 8" vs 6.5"?

I have the HS8's I didnt pay full price, just stating that if I had to pay full price prolly woulda went with something else. But if you got the cash I say go for the HS8 Sound very good as the other HS family but they have more headroom for the low end . I find them to be perfect for the application you need. Havent had one problem with them ! Very full !!

RevChristoph

Reaction score
I have an Ultra. I love it. The Axe-fx II was still a little new when i got it and you would have to be on a waiting list for at least 6 months. I'll wait for an Axe-fx 3 or something before I ever upgrade (and by then might be able to afford it). The Ultra does plenty for me and I'm still learning all the possibilities with it anyways. I do wish they kept up the exchange and updates for it though, I mean it's not really that old and I'm not gonna replace it with the 2 just to get updates and exchange patches.

Reaction score
So I have axe fx 2 and need to put 2 guitars through it. Yes I know there are tutorials, I've watched all of them and I am so close to figuring this out. My issue is that it seems I need two identical rows of blocks since we want both guitars to have the exact same tone. I'm running a 2nd guitar thry input 2 and putting an fx loop block to go through, which i route up to the clusterf*ck of blocks and back down to a volume block so i can pan each one L/R, but what happens is the both come out left and nothing comes out right (using two seperate half stack set ups one for L and one R). I hope ive given enough info for someone to help. Ask for more clarification if needed. Thanks!

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm curious, can anyone recommend some sort of carrying case for the MFC-101 (I have the Mk. III)? Sure, I can use dimensions to find something online, but was curious if anyone has a case that they really like.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
After being primarily a headphone player for many years--and not owning an amp + speakers--I'm now starting to play live and still trying to figure out optimal settings for stuff.

In the pic, you see the amp + AFx output settings I normally use for lower (home practice) volumes. My AFx's output knob isn't very high at all--about a 2-3. My amp outputs are even lower, at about 1-2 (anything more scares the dog). Usually, when I'm playing with other people, I put my AFX's output up to about 50%, and the power amps outputs are increased too depending on the venue.

Should I be maxing my AFX's output knob when playing live? Or, maybe the opposite? Keep the AFx's output lower and the amp's outputs higher? Or, is it 50/50-ish?
14248298634_5c529cc82d_c.jpg

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I don't know what "right" is, but I decided, for simplicity's sake, I was going to leave my HD1221 (FRFR)'s knob in the middle @0db - there's a nice little resistance spot for it there - and adjust my Ultra's output to taste. I've found a pretty consistent place for it in my full band context, and it's somewhere around 10:30/11:00. Good in the room feel and plenty of space to turn up, and shouldn't be pushing at any edges of anything's range where it might possibly do something to the sound or affect frequency response.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Here's a clean patch I've been working on with some effects on it
[sc]http://soundcloud.com/axxessdenied/telecaster-blackface-noodle[/sc]

bschmidt

chug life
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm wondering if you can help me get a tone:

This is probably adding a single effect to the chain but for the life of my I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Basically I want to make a patch which is my normal rhythm patch but with the (sorta generic) grainy low-fi sound to it for song intros and guitar call and answer parts.

and example is the start of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkLvH3Z4Ck

My thoughts were to add an EQ block and remove a lot of the bass but it's not quite right. any suggestions?