Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skyblue

Reaction score
THIS:

dulg.jpg

...Never read it before and im loving it! :bowdown:

I own the same book- what an awesome read! The first book (Dune) is a masterpiece.

I'm struggling a bit through "No Country For Old Men". McCarthy is a great writer, but man can his writing style confuse a man.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I own the same book- what an awesome read! The first book (Dune) is a masterpiece.

I'm struggling a bit through "No Country For Old Men". McCarthy is a great writer, but man can his writing style confuse a man.

Yes it can. Shortly after I started reading "The Road", I got pretty confused on why the dialog was never quotated, contractions lacked punctuation, run-on sentences, etc. I actually thought maybe this particular copy of the book was somehow messed up?

I did some research, and that's when I learned he writes in that manner intentionally. He feels that the punctuation, quotations and the like, simply clutter the page, and distracts from the overall mood that he's trying to convey - especially so with "The Road". And it worked. That writing style played a huge part in the bleak, grey mood of that book in particular. It was pretty interesting to learn about McCarthy's approach to writing, and I actually have respect for him for doing so. By English education standards, it's all kinds of wrong, but I don't care (and neither does he, I'm sure).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Finished up "Under the Dome" on Monday, not sure how I feel about it. Now contemplating moving onto either The Stand or Salem's Lot.

SeductionS

Reaction score
Not exactly entertaining but I'm reading The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development at the moment, I have my retake on Mobile App Development this Wednesday so...

Also reading Tolkien's The Two Towers which I am enjoying :) .

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I'm giving The Bear and the Dragon another read while I ride the bus everywhere. Tom Clancy was a great writer. :wub:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Started reading "The Stand" today, it's off to a solid start and is done in a believable manner for virus contagion. Pretty much how you would expect it to go.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Just started another read-through of The Drizzt series.... what's a social life?

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
When I was in High School I really liked the Xanth series by Piers Anthony, but I never had the money to get the volumes that the library didn't have. Now, however, I'm all grown up with a steady paycheck, so I can read whatever the hell I feel like reading :lol:. I'm reading through the series starting from the beginning, and just started book five, Ogre, Ogre. Not exactly heavy intellectual reading, but it's fun to sit down with at the end of the day.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Been crunching through Freudian Slips. An excellent little book and a fairly quick read, but I keep going back to it to clarify some concepts. Interesting for anyone wanting to learn a little something they didn't already know.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Yes it can. Shortly after I started reading "The Road", I got pretty confused on why the dialog was never quotated, contractions lacked punctuation, run-on sentences, etc. I actually thought maybe this particular copy of the book was somehow messed up?

I did some research, and that's when I learned he writes in that manner intentionally. He feels that the punctuation, quotations and the like, simply clutter the page, and distracts from the overall mood that he's trying to convey - especially so with "The Road". And it worked. That writing style played a huge part in the bleak, grey mood of that book in particular. It was pretty interesting to learn about McCarthy's approach to writing, and I actually have respect for him for doing so. By English education standards, it's all kinds of wrong, but I don't care (and neither does he, I'm sure).

It worked wonderful in The Road, once I got used to it. In "No Country..." I'm having more difficulties, but I'm trying that one in english and not hebrew, so that doesn't help.

Actually tried "Blood Meridian" and gave up rather fast as I couldn't decipher what was going on. I'm considering trying again.

Currently reading "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" by David Foster Wallace. Some stories are great, some I kinda have to force myself to keep reading, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
^ So much better than the movie.

Me: Sergei Lukyanenko, New Watch and Seanan McGuire, Indexing -- superb!

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
Currently reading "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" by David Foster Wallace. Some stories are great, some I kinda have to force myself to keep reading, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.
Dude me too. Bought it as a treat for myself while Christmas shopping. One of the last DFW titles I hadn't read yet. I like it so far -- I was laughing out loud reading the "victory for the forces of democratic freedom" bit! :lol:

I'm also reading the letters of Vincent van Gogh. I got them as a gift from my parents after dropping a couple of hints, lol. The letters are really essential reading for anyone into the arts, philosophy, history, literature, or life. You don't have to be a fan of his work to appreciate them.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Went to see Big Hero 6 last night. Excellent, adorable, beautiful movie. Could've had a better name, but hey.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
I'm currently reading a book called "Golden Holocaust" by Robert N. Proctor

It's a book about the cigarette industry. The author is a university professor who tried to find out who knew when how dangerous cigarettes are, how the industry still managed to become as big as it is. And many more things.

I'm a non-smoker and I find this incredibly interesting. If you're a smoker, it might double your interest. Also, it's totally not judging any addicted people, it's rather rationalizing things.

Anyway. Great read. Get it !