Official What Are You Reading Thread:

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Just finished The Road from Cormac McCarthy and I loved every bit of it. Great, great book with some amazing imagery, and wonderful messages.
MAN, I don't know what to do with my life now that I'm done with it. haha.
I guess now I am going to read McCarthy's Blood Meridian as soon as I can find a copy. I've heard it's wonderful.

I really want to get into reading again, as it's something that I truly enjoy. There isn't much that rivals the feeling of getting through a wonderful book. I'm interested in Danielewski's House of Leaves, as well as reading some Stephen King novels.

So, with King being mentioned, it almost goes without asking but...
WHICH book would you recommend as your favorite..
OR, which would be a good start for someone who has never read one of his works before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nickh

Reaction score
Just finished The Road from Cormac McCarthy and I loved every bit of it. Great, great book with some amazing imagery, and wonderful messages.
MAN, I don't know what to do with my life now that I'm done with it. haha.
I guess now I am going to read McCarthy's Blood Meridian as soon as I can find a copy. I've heard it's wonderful.

I read Blood Meridian about four months ago and it was a much harder read than The Road. More than once I had to reread a page to figure out what exactly was going on with the dialogue or scene. There are some extremely graphic scenes. That said Cormac McCarthy's sentences are beautiful and Blood Meridian sticks out in my mind as one of the top 10 books I've ever read.

Over the past few months I've made a conscious effort to read more literary style books. I'm currently reading Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and loving it. His sentences are very poetic.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Going back to the classics with Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises". I'm about halfway and I quite like it so far.
My brother brought me "Tinker, Tailor..." from the library today, so it's up next.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I should read TTSS at some point given how much I ....ing love the BBC miniseries of it.

Azathoth43

ל ו ו י י ת ן
Reaction score
I've been trying to read more lately. Finished The Lord of The Rings about a month ago and thought it was fantastic. Now I'm about two thirds through The Stand. Really enjoying that one as well.

Skyblue

Reaction score
I should read TTSS at some point given how much I ....ing love the BBC miniseries of it.

Any idea how's the movie? I'll probably finish the book first, but knowing me I could be done by the weekend (or soon, depends on how tiring work would be)

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
The movie is decent to good. It's extremely well shot, pretty well edited. Gary Oldman does a pretty good job (but he's just never going to be Sir Alec Guinness), I found the casting of the Circus to be pretty meh though. And I'm a pretty big fan of Bandersnatch Cumberbund, but he does not make a particularly good Peter, though I lay that more at the screenplay and directing.

I think really though, it's just far too meaty to cram into even a two and a half hour movie. You lose far too many subtleties, which in many ways are the core of the work. There's also way too much of the movie showing Oldman just... sitting and figuring things out, and suddenly he has it worked out, with no good way for the audience to keep up or even follow his thinking while he's doing it. Someone just having silent eureka moments after some brooding does not good cinema make when the riddle is the plot of the entire movie.

People who haven't read it or seen the miniseries really liked it. I saw the series first, and the movie doesn't come close.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
Started reading Salem's Lot from King. Enjoying his style a lot. Rolls through exactly like a movie.
The dialogue is very natural, and I've already felt some suspense and mystery.
Really good stuff so far.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Started reading Salem's Lot from King. Enjoying his style a lot. Rolls through exactly like a movie.
The dialogue is very natural, and I've already felt some suspense and mystery.
Really good stuff so far.

King is a master on his craft. Or might I say... the King?

3998596-dr-evil.jpg

I'm currently absorbing Dean Koontz's Frankenstein-saga. Great stuff. I have read it once before and I just found myself craving for another round. :agreed:

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
King is a master on his craft. Or might I say... the King?

I'm currently absorbing Dean Koontz's Frankenstein-saga. Great stuff. I have read it once before and I just found myself craving for another round. :agreed:

Haha that he is! There's quite a lot of cliche in his books, but I assume they are only cliche because HE did it. Salem's Lot is my first King novel, and so far, like I said, I am really enjoying it.

Koontz was another guy I had the intentions of checking out.

That is after I read some more McCarthy and King.
Blood Meridian from Cormac.
The Shining, IT, and The Stand are on my list for King.
Also have House of Leaves from Mark Danielewski on my list.

Skyblue

Reaction score
...And finished with "Tinker, Tailor...". I liked it, but I still think I need to get used to La Carre's writing style. Picked up The Night Manager also by La Carre today, and I'm guessing that if it'll be good I'll be done with it by the weekend.

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
I started The Dark Half by Stephen King a couple weeks ago, and just finished it today. This is my second King novel, and I started reading it directly after Salem's Lot.

To put it briefly, I loved it. Maybe a little more than I did Salem's Lot.
The list of characters is incredible. I was very fond of each one.
Thad Beaumont was a great lead character, whose personality and description I thoroughly enjoyed. George Stark was lovingly psychotic, the perfect villain for a book like this. Alan Pangborn's battle with what he believed was always interesting, and his character was portrayed very well, along with the wife Liz.

I'll say it ended exactly how I wanted it too. So, I got what I expected out of it.
Pulse pounding pace (especially compared to Salem's Lot), some truly stomach churning descriptions, and a great amount of gore and mystery.
Not much to complain about with this one
The Dark Half rocked.
Now I'm gonna be on to my next King novel. I wonder what it will be!

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Reaction score
At the moment I am reading ..

`Myths From Mesopotamia (Creation, The Flood, Gilgamesh, and others)`

A new transcription by Stephanie Dalley

Oxford World Classics

`The ancient civilization of Mesopotamia thrived between the rivers Tigris and Euphrates over 4,000 years ago. The myths collected here, originally written in cuneiform on clay tablets, include parallels with the biblical stories of the Creation and the Flood, and the famous Epic of Gilgamesh, the tale of a man of great strength, whose heroic quest for immortality is dashed through one moment of weakness.`

Source

I really love reading about ancient cultures, and their history, folklore and literature. I love collecting books about history and mythology !!!. :)

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I started The Dark Half by Stephen King a couple weeks ago, and just finished it today. This is my second King novel, and I started reading it directly after Salem's Lot.

To put it briefly, I loved it. Maybe a little more than I did Salem's Lot.
The list of characters is incredible. I was very fond of each one.
Thad Beaumont was a great lead character, whose personality and description I thoroughly enjoyed. George Stark was lovingly psychotic, the perfect villain for a book like this. Alan Pangborn's battle with what he believed was always interesting, and his character was portrayed very well, along with the wife Liz.

I'll say it ended exactly how I wanted it too. So, I got what I expected out of it.
Pulse pounding pace (especially compared to Salem's Lot), some truly stomach churning descriptions, and a great amount of gore and mystery.
Not much to complain about with this one
The Dark Half rocked.
Now I'm gonna be on to my next King novel. I wonder what it will be!
I haven't read them all, but I've heard they're not all good. The Stand is a classic. Talisman is pretty great, too (with Peter Straub). I've also read and appreciated Dreamcatcher, Gerald's Game, Insomnia, and Black House. (That's probably not a complete list of "the good ones", consult a King fan for that.)

Beowulf Von Thrashmeister

Reaction score
Today I have started to read ...

Necronomicon: The best Weird Tales Of H.P. Lovecraft

At the moment I`am the reading the short story `The Cats Of Ulthar`. :cool:

Does anyone else love the works of H.P. Lovecraft ? :)

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
A re-read because I like weird.

P1010086 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/77295213@N03/

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
A re-read because I like weird.

P1010086

Yes! One of my all-time favourites. You probably know this already, but this is the mysterious unnamed book in The Picture of Dorian Gray that lures Dorian into depravity.

Maker of amazing guitars and reader of Huysmans. Will you marry me already?

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes! One of my all-time favourites. You probably know this already, but this is the mysterious unnamed book in The Picture of Dorian Gray that lures Dorian into depravity.

Maker of amazing guitars and reader of Huysmans. Will you marry me already?

Aye Rob.
One thing I've only just noticed though is what happens to your avatar after a while :eek: Excellent !

Latest posts