[OK Boomer] Show your HIFI setup.

• Thread starter Andromalia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
That's a cool one, it's one of the things I regret when I realise living ath the 3rd floor bans me from buying a lot of cheap but cool used furniture.
About ventilation, yeah, that seems tight. As a rule I usually put amplifiers on top, I didn't do it with the Pioneer set because the tuner is only 1/3rd as deep so there's plenty of space. I'd put the amp on the top shelf, and the CD player below. Your furniture likely is 60es or 70es, and intended for a 2U receiver like a Sony STR 160.
Thanks! Excited to see your new setup together too!

This is actually brand new and retro looking, as much as I'd prefer to find something vintage around here it's not very easy in a rural place. Was really hoping the amp would sit side by side with the turntable, but unfortunately not. Also, this is my 3rd or 4th warranty replacement of this particular amp after the others spontaneously combusted in well ventilated spaces. I think it needs the sides open more than the top and bottom, but I'll keep an eye on it. Will maybe try some fans.

I also do want to get at least a new turntable and amp, so we'll see what changes on that front too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Update: I do pride myself on being a decent Project Manager, but getting the amp delivered last after having ordered it first would have me yell quite a bit if this had happened in a professional setting.
TLDR: just got another delivery that isn't the receiver. I litterally got everything else before it, including a few DAT tapes. I wanted to buy some metal tapes but the prices are insane so I'll stick to normal for now. Will probably use tape media to record multiple disc vinyls that are sort of a pain to listen to in one go. Still can't justify getting a Minidisc unit though, even for collection's sake. Or maybe a cheap broken one for display...
I bet 10€ I'll get the Klipsch speakers I ordered yesterday before the receiver, too.

1651504279695.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
This is my city pop setup:

vDSRizFig8V2-eswYCtXhmI9sJYbz8YEL5pqw-AVDCVtcmyPHDfbhKMvsuCRibn_kmzsMBS9PFqJI_SNMNjO2OgpqsZcmDyhr5fXHEefheUJk5v05W27LVm9ydCoiyP0EqgcW8730Tzaqc5UA_GlhhgBL8D6jMPkmxLUjquw8CVq8ZEbqrluPN9jPpwLVXPn78NXs8ZpmT5YLayfCSZf3bYyoE1RtKhH5lRo9-Kz5_6KwVFrDCuoBWbrIipK5zfE5ll86nSkzx9myUezRW3SDqzmRBghuthvogKjo1kOYkZOxcS4ht1wpkxHxeE7jze0NRMyBelGEk216m2lRZQrdOqNQgA6VBB4q__8crcFlghk011XztdvX4zVMw8SltrRucfzh4z130obgfB8zS-Lvr1wSE6xLFQU4kkEOq_O-UvQChn75ZhUJJtBY1ITnAyE-fTUkSBUREg9kNkUwiEu6DdTBTVkN1dz25GJoQAMGxF7H75U1k90NaYbpYMAW3G6c8zS1sDXjS0amxg0pl6nNqc6jK-1GrmTqVrV42hRRFlc3Goo18qJLwfDwTpzOQCYZTEdWeOFW_3TeKiLW4tx-6eD8pahz0VHKPaPOCpC0QWZIK-kY3SYE_9ZB0BIoS-NK1IoDUfmBULNhGHLjl9GD-LCvKCC2OKnG3JhpPWn5JrIPWZVBeVZT6uC38ZFgDW-MEOCZWaZpma6eVU8EgT3lJAgQWqBNSVDVtHFvGNxBIsStqIQu2nDiJGUnqR3IPo=w2594-h1730-no

AM-JKLW_mCZfcn3V65PgVneJ8w5Vszd32wrnKZ7CPDF_HFenpbhRyCPuu5LgpYQG5dCYg3Opzy3s_Ox4OEcOMIQ00tg7yY6btrmhCbtU8jzd9iS5qjweDEybq-Sk4gfe1uwSbfnbuHWp_a12orOksQ9oSB1xCg=w2766-h1844-no

AM-JKLV0MyVB3ZbbjbxjSBqyQZmPSKauVe9BvaUj-LsxVSn5PioExi7a26Rp_FCzHnzSyUej3QMG3gM4f4Sa4VVj2MmTZ8eUM3OenXXakigvTgFxMileyZiLv0XUv5DbgGyqTiINbCnnw5SxftANFANvioFtxg=w2766-h1844-no

AM-JKLV694XWh1oKncotWo-pYRA7hFrn4ywM48Q8u2vh7CSeOJnllcooSp4_6b-f-RUoMVFabf2OcoQ7kQuTI_IWRADM2koPXNbKy7-XuVqlCf72HFsVWacR6py6CF4Cb9tthsHl0ZYBEkPprJMCxDzABjYZ8g=w2766-h1844-no

It's not such a high quality thing... I get a lot of electronic noise and hum, and I'm not sure if it's like power wires being close to audio wires or if the turntable just has some old noisy parts... but it's more for the vibe. I love the turntable. It's from 1979. The engineers definitely didn't have a lot to work with and the choices they made are just evident when you look it over. It turns on by undoing the latch on the turntable arm. Then the vinyl is clamped to the platter but pushed ever so slightly convex so it can track. Then the identification of a large or small vinyl is done by the light that shines below the vinyl, which otherwise casts a shadow except for when the light shines into a series of grooves, which is then picked up with an optical sensor. The position of the arm's dangling is also measured by a light shining directly down. It's just cool seeing how they solved these problems with very simple electronics.

But started putting this together about 2 years ago, just now got the EQ and a line level preamp behind the turntable a month ago, and finally got another shelf for it coming this week.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
You live in Japan, that's litterally cheating when talking vintage stuff. I'd import a lot of stuff but I CBA with stepdown transformers.
That vertical LP is soooo cool.

narad

Reaction score
You live in Japan, that's litterally cheating when talking vintage stuff. I'd import a lot of stuff but I CBA with stepdown transformers.
That vertical LP is soooo cool.

Well the funny thing is I imported the turntable from the US :D I see them come up for sale here a lot, but they'd have lots of broken or worn parts, and due to the nature of how it was engineered, there's not suitable replacements for many of the things. This one was close to mint, original box, etc., from the US, and another good condition one was in Germany, so after about 8 months of watching jp used sites for something comparable I just said the hell with it.

But ya, the EQ was dirt cheap.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Got everything. Unfortunatley the receiver got damaged in transit, I think I can just straighten the ding with some light hammering though. Will see what the seller says, packaging was, eh. Found the piece of furniture to be reaaaally bad so I dunked it, went to buy a wall mount for the TV and made room. In the end I suppose I'll replace the TV furniture by something else, it's a cheapo I bought for 80€ after my move it has served its purpose.
Oh, right, pics.
1651595293476.jpg

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Update: Ordered stuff to replace the receiver as the damage was just plain annoying given I buy this as much as furniture as I do for sound.

-Got a TA-F590es integrated amplifier and the matching S590 tuner.
-Found a good-looking hifi cabinet. It's not officially a Sony piece but I ordered a few Sony machined logos on ebay and it looks good.
-CD player was, unfortunately, skipping. Sent back to the dealer, whjo was actually nice and efficient about it. Not sure I'll get another one given the cabinet is going to be full with the tuner...
potato smartphone pic, I'll do good hires DSLR pics when everything is ready. I seem to have mislaid my nikon charger during my move so I ordered another one. Seems like I buy those every other year...

To do:
-get a remote that works with the 590.

Attachments

• 1652467073106.jpg
    1652467073106.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 8

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Last update for a while:

Received the tuner which works fine.
Setup everything and discovered that I more or less filled all the cabinet already.

Next purchases (not right now)
- a CD player. I don't have a lot of CDs but I guess at some point I'll have some I want to read
-An EQ: all those pretty lights...

The bad news is that the remote for this amp seems to be pretty rare and the one on ebay is like 200€ so it's a hard no for the moment.

The good news is, I received the Nikon charger so was able to make a decent picture.
DSC_9180quarter.jpg

Project is done for the time being. Wonder what I'll do next year...

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So I've been using my new setup fairly regularly, but at lower volumes because of lots of headaches, lately and checking the amp with the laser thermometer. It's all fine temperature wise so I'll hopefully try pushing it a bit more now.

In other news, I bought a replacement dust cover because my original one got lost somehow. You'd think it's big enough to stand out, but alas.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I like listening to music on my HS8’s. It’s not traditional “HiFi” but it’s honest and they definitely bring out the character of a recording.

narad

Reaction score
So I've been using my new setup fairly regularly, but at lower volumes because of lots of headaches, lately and checking the amp with the laser thermometer. It's all fine temperature wise so I'll hopefully try pushing it a bit more now.

In other news, I bought a replacement dust cover because my original one got lost somehow. You'd think it's big enough to stand out, but alas.
FYI, when you're experiencing headaches you're supposed to check the temperature of your body, not your amplifier.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Dust cover arrived and it has the worst hinge mechanism I've ever seen. Have to somehow compress a pair of super resistant springs to half their length, then slide bar and clip arrangement through a space with no spare clearance. All components are smaller than my thumb. So as a result the cover just sits on top instead of being connected.

In other news, want to upgrade the turntable in general and have started looking for replacements. Current plan is a Rega Planar 3, but I don't really know what's good or bad and just going off reviews and forums.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let's put some life on this interesting thread.

Do you know why some vinyl turn too slow?
I just bought one and the sound is weird. veeeeeeerryyyyyyy loooooooowwww.
The singer has a bass voice and the tempo is too low.

The thing is that with other vinyls it's ok.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Let's put some life on this interesting thread.

Do you know why some vinyl turn too slow?
I just bought one and the sound is weird. veeeeeeerryyyyyyy loooooooowwww.
The singer has a bass voice and the tempo is too low.

The thing is that with other vinyls it's ok.
Umm, is it a 45? Sounds like you've got your turntable at the wrong speed.

Most singles and EPs are traditionally 45s, and even some albums nowadays when it makes mare sense to put them on two discs instead of one. Tiktaalika by Charlie Griffiths, for example.

I guess, could also be a 78.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s a 33.
Here is the set :
IMG_5660.jpeg

The trouble comes from the Ne Obliviscaris on the left hand side. Impossible to listen.
I do not know how to set the speed. Why this one and not others ?

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score