Omega Cerberus vs Basilisk vs Dimarzio Titan bridge pup for drop C

• Thread starter HairyNutsack69
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Cerberus vs Basilisk vs Dimarzio Titan bridge pup for drop C

• Total voters
Reaction score
Been looking at a new bridge pickup for my mahogany bolt on in drop C. The pickup that is currently in it is a stock unbranded ceramic one, sounds cheap. I'm really looking for a massive chrushing but tight sound. Which one of these (or others, just no BKP or actives) would do?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
I have the Omega Cerberus and Basilisk. Both are tight and clean sounding with the Cerberus being more open sounding and has a really grinding midrange while the Basilisk has more bass (but tight) and sounds more focused. The Basilisk is more high out put too but again it's deceptively tight, clear sounding and focused.

One guitar I have in Drop C and the other in Standard C and it kind of depends on the guitar. In this case the guitar in Drop C is quite light and not as harmonically rich as the guitar in C. So I preferred the Cerberus in that one over the Basilisk. The guitar in C I liked both for different reasons but I left the Basilisk in as that guitar as more frequencies going on and the Basilisk focused it better.

I have a couple of recordings with my awful playing on SoundCloud I can share just to get an idea, going through a 5150II with an OD808.

Jackson KE2 Omega Basilisk set. Guitar in D with 10-52 Ernie Ball strings (now the pickup is in the other guitar in C and not his one but you can get an idea).
https://soundcloud.com/user-806879897/jackson-ke2-omega-basilisk-set

Squier FR-211 Cerberus bridge. Guitar in Drop C with 10-54 D'addario strings.
https://soundcloud.com/user-806879897/squier-fr-211-omega-cerberus-bridge

I haven't played the Dimarzio Titan so I can't comment. It probably is a great pickup but from no experience with it.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Tight or massive: pick one, because you really never get both together. I've found that pickups that emphasize bass/low mid frequencies do sound huge, but it comes at the cost of how tight the pickup is.

That being said, I haven't tried the omega pickups, so I can't help out there. I have used the titan pretty extensively, and it's a verrrrry tight sounding pickup. It's far from massive sounding, instead it's kind of dry and mid heavy, and takes a fair amount of gain to really saturate. The dominion is a good alternative if you still want a very tight sounding pickup that can get more saturated than the titan.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
^I'll echo this about both the Titan and Dominion :yesway: I've had both pickups in my drop C guitar (Jackson DKMG) and I think the Dominion will be in there for the long haul.

The Titan is tight and dry, great for tech riffing and fast stuff. Less dynamic than the Dominion, but it's got a nice aggressive voicing. The Dominion has a bit more mids and is juicier on chugs, but never really gets loose since the extreme low end is rolled off. It'll get just as or more angry sounding as the Titan if you really dig in with your picking hand. Both have great clarity on chords too.

I've never tried any Omega pickups, so I'm no help there

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I have a set of Dimarzio Titans. As others have said, it's super tight and focused, great for prog and tech-rock/metal. Great clarity. While the Titan is super tight it's not 'huge,' rather its focused and present.

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Why not looking at the Defiant or Nihilist, too?

I got a Defiant and a Basilisk, though with all ceramic magnets.
I just had some time with defiant yesterday. First thought: very cutting sound, still nice bottom. Would work great in lower tunings i think (Guitar is tuned only to D right now). Like it so far.

The basilisk is supposed to be more even, still need some time with it though.

the cerberus is supposed to have more low mids than the basilisk.