Other bands asking to use your gear

• Thread starter Thanatopsis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AuroraTide

Reaction score
If they ask in advance I'll probably say yes is its a similar style band but if Im packing up and you say "I can use your amp right?" Then it's a 100% no

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenString

RJ-D0 : Heavy Metal Droid
Reaction score
For certain personal types of gear, I'd be okay if it was someone I knew and trusted.

If it was something cheap like an old crappy amp or something I knew another person couldn't really hurt, I'd be more open.

However, I typically do shows where I'm the main/only act so anyone who wants to "use my stuff" isn't part of the show anyway and is really asking to perform when they aren't on the bill. Now, I occasionally ask special guests (friends) to come up for a song or two but now we're back to known people who I trust.

Funny story: a number of times at various gigs while I'm on break, I've seen some drunk or otherwise uninhibited guitar player I don't know walking toward my guitar(s) on stage with the obvious intent of picking it up without my permission.

Every time I've seen this, as the guitar player gets closer to my guitar, he gets a wide-eyed WTF expression and veers off. I've seen the hand actually outstretched to pick it up off the stand and then... oops!

A big fat 8-string seems to freak 'em out and having those extra strings seems to protect me against the yokels.

:D

Splenetic

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a party a bunch of years ago. My friends' band was playing, and before them was this other......band? ....To me they were more like a bunch of punkasses obviously trying too hard and failing....Anyhow, I had bad vibes about them from the get-go, they had the shitty attitude of mega rockstars, acting cocky and full of themselves as soon as they arrived. Go figure, they REALLY effing sucked. Anyhow... their guitar player didn't bring an amp (wtf?) and asked my buddy to borrow his. My friend reluctantly agreed, and they farted out their terrible set of something that was not-quite songs.

Anyhow.... Show passes, my friend goes to get his amp....This piece of shit snot-faced scenster clown grabs the amp, holds it out.....and I'm not even kidding, just drops the ....ing thing on the floor in front of my friend. You could CLEARLY tell he did it on purpose. He even went on to say "sorry?.... Kind of a shit amp anyways" in a sarcastic tone.

It's a good thing, being the mega rockstars they were, they left right after the set, cause my buddy was brooding over it for a little while and then had enough and started looking for the little ....er.

My stance is simple : Not happening unless I know you, and have a good feel for who you are and how much you respect other people's property. There's people whom I know well, and I wouldn't even lend them a pedal, but there's others whom I don't know as well, whom I would lend something like an amp out.

All that said, with guitars it's a bit different. Depends on the axe, some could be borrowed, others, absolutely not.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
This piece of shit snot-faced scenster clown grabs the amp, holds it out.....and I'm not even kidding, just drops the ....ing thing on the floor in front of my friend. You could CLEARLY tell he did it on purpose. He even went on to say "sorry?.... Kind of a shit amp anyways" in a sarcastic tone.

That kid would have lost his teeth, instantly. And any gear he did remember to bring to the gig with him that night, would have been mine.

That's inexcusable behavior.

mongey

Reaction score
I've lent my amp and cab a few times before . I dont mind it if they ask before and they have a good excuse, like being interstate or something . I have had people ocme and ask to borrow an amp while the rest of their band is setting up . WTF dude ! also had a young dude once at a gig with a crappy behringer combo come up and ask if he could use my recto cause his amp is crap .I said No

guitars I won't lend. If I know the guy and he breaks a string or something and needs it on stage thats fine but some random , no deal ever

ben_hurt

Reaction score
Most of the time I'm now playing with other adults and nobody is a moron, so we try and share cabs as much as possible. We're usually playing small venues and having 4 bands backline gets really cramped. We almost always use our own heads, pedal boards, guitars and drums, though.

IVIaverick52

Reaction score
depends on the gear. An amp? Totally! Stomp boxes? As long as they don't jump up and down on them. Guitar? NO! Drums? NO! Any gear a fellow artist wants to borrow may never touch their hands, that's my rule. That means if they want to use an amp, I set it up and tear it down for them, the only thing they get to touch is the gain and eq.

iamnoah262

Reaction score
I was playing a show with my old band once and a kit asked our bassist if he could borrow his wireless unit. Simple enough... We lent it to him. But oh crap, he forgot his strap... Could he borrow that too? Sure. But oh wait, his band forgot his bass head so all he had was a cab... Could he just borrow our amp too? Oh by the way, he didn't have a bass either, anyway he could borrow one?

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Weirdest thing I ever heard was if I could lend out 30% of my locking nut :nuts: Reason: his hex screw had no more thread on it. So I said gtfo kid. I would've said that anyway.

I once lended out my Ibanez Universe at a talent show in 1998. Forgot to tell him about seven strings. Oooops, sorry about that. The poor guy didn't know what the hell was wrong with his playing :lol:

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
With prior planning I will lend anything, but I'll make sure I get a verbal contract and at least a text message or email saying that if they break it, they will pay for it.

If someone knows they won't have something and don't plan in advance to borrow it I'll literally make them write on a piece of paper "I ________ agree to the use of James Dxxxxx's _________ on the condition that any damage occured to it during my usage of said equipment will be paid for in full by me within 3 working days or be subject to claims of damages. Signed ___________ Date ___________ Time ______________" That's usually because the kinds of people to come interstate to play a show and don't plan in advance to compensate for not having a guitar cab or whatever tend to be (in my experience) the kinds of people who don't really give a shit about theirs or other people's equipment.

If shit breaks on the night or during a set I'll lend what is needed, but I'll stand there watching them use it. I had to literally wave my arms and shake my head at someone who was trying to lift one of my guitars into the air above his head via the floyd rose when I did it once and afterwards had to explain to him why the visual of him lifting the guitar was unnecessary when it wasn't his.

Cables and shit I'll just lend no worries. They're easy to fix and easy to make, so they don't worry me. But instruments and electronics...

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Gigs I usually play have shared cabs, so if I'm lending then that's cool. Usually the promoter will have worked out who's bringing what.

Heads are generally yes-ish, as long as you clear with me beforehand. Only problem is that my Diezel only runs at high gain and is temperamental... plus don't touch the EQ on the rhythm channel! I'm more chilled with bass rig.

Cables are cool as long as I get them back.

Stomps? Ummm, not really, don't want people dicking with the pedalboard.

Guitars are a definite no-no. I did, once, it got abused and never again. I'd only consider lending instruments to bandmates, that's it.