Ozzy's Greatest Guitar Player (Outside of Sabbath)

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I'm a big Zack Wylde fan, but i think it's important to note Randy Rhoads' innovation - he played a big part in bringing classical into metal

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I think that distinction has to go to Blackmore...

Blackmore and Uli Jon Roth were probably the first to combine the two genres in the 70s, but Randy (and Yngwie) came along pretty early in the game and certainly made a major impact.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Blackmore and Uli Jon Roth were probably the first to combine the two genres in the 70s, but Randy (and Yngwie) came along pretty early in the game and certainly made a major impact.

There is at least a decade separating them... And Randy was not doing classical at all in the late 70s with Quiet Riot.

Blackmore was there first... and he broke through the mainstream with it.

Dickicker

Reaction score
Speak of the devil was awesome and was a off the wall kinda thing. Gillis is the man. But I used to be a big Zakk fan so I'm going with him. Zakk is a great guitar player. I just grew up :p

HoKrll

Reaction score
I think they all brought special ideas to the table.
For me:
Randy gave those amazing classical influenced soloes that really grab you.
Jake was f'ing everywhere on the fretboard and keeps my mind occupied.
Zakk brought the most metal influence, huge crushing southern riffs. And slide guitar lol. I think the best songwriting too with his first two albums. Ozzmosis was just enormous, although not my favorite songwriting.

tedtan

Reaction score
Blackmore was there first... and he broke through the mainstream with it.

I'm not taking anything away from Blackmore, I'm just saying you are underestimating Randy's influence on current players.

No one sounds (or tries to sound) like Blackmore today, but without Randy (and Yngwie), today's players probably wouldn't be playing the classically influenced material they do. They had a significant impact on metal players that can still be heard today, over 30 years since Randy passed away.

And at the end of the day, only one of these guys actually recorded with Ozzy, so he may be a little more pertinent to the thread topic than the others. :lol:

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
I enjoy Randy the most probably because I think the albums he was on were Ozzy's best.. There was a time when I probably would have answered Zakk but I lost any interest in his playing a long time ago. He almost seems like a parody of himself...I know people eat it up but the endless pinch harmonics with the same worn out patterns over and over, it bores the hell out of me.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Huge Jake fan myself. I like Randy's stuff, too (except his tone - ugh!) but Jake's stuff was just AMAZING.

sleightest

Reaction score
How is this a question? And why isnt everyone saying RR? tsk tsk :nono:
He's had many amazing players but Randy Rhoads is just in a league of his own. He may not be the fastest or most technical but he played and wrote some of the catchiest riffs and sweetest leads/solos Ive ever heard. just my 2 cents.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Jake seems the most "technical" and Zakk certainly the most "brewtal" in terms of playing, but Randy's solos seem to really speak to me. Even with basic pentatonics, Randy made his solos seem like mini-compositions. They were like extra movements within a musical piece. Ozzy has said this about himself and I gauge amazing guitarists the same way; if their solo gives you goosebumps or make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, then it's an amazing solo, and by extension, guitarist. Randy did that for Ozzy frequently, and he does it for me all the time. :yesway:

edsped

Reaction score
Tone and technique wise Jake and Zakk were way above Randy. Randy wrote some great songs/riffs/solos, but so did Jake and Zakk. I like Jake's playing the most, probably. Overall I'd probably have to give it to Zakk because No More Tears and especially No Rest for the Wicked are awesome. I can't get enough of Fire in the Sky.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
This has to go to Randy Rhoads. Though its understandable to swing your vote either way as far as skill goes, I go by who wrote the better material.

UrchineSLICE

Reaction score
Randy Rhodes was a brilliant composer, his solos were always interesting and had a certain way of taking a song to greater heights. His solos on Mr. Crowley, Over the Mountain, Diary of a Madman, and Goodbye to Romance are some of the best guitar work ever recorded.

That being said, I have to give the best Ozzy award to Zakk Wylde, personally. The man is one of my heroes. No More Tears and I Don't Want to Change the World are two of my all time favorite songs. I'm constantly impressed with how versatile his playing is, even if he doesnt make it apparent on his albums. I don't know what it's called but he does this thing in his instruction videos where he plays I guess arpeggiated patterns using both a pick and his middle and ring fingers thats just ridiculous to me. Not to mention his piano tracks are usually stellar. Most of his stuff seems to be pentatonic wank, but the power of his picking technique and his phrasing make me love his work that much more.

I don't care for Gus' work with Ozzy. He was awesome in Firewind though. And Jake was great. Not sure why he didn't stay with Ozzy.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Randy- best songwriting IMO, and his solos are beautiful mini-compositions in themselves.
I do like Jake's stuff too.