PA Speaker for Axe-Fx/Kemper? (Nov 2017)

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Haven't seen any specific threads or even posts discussing what people are using and/or recommending as far as PA speakers for their modelers.

I know the Alto speakers were a big deal in years past and they have actually released a new version but it seems that most manufacturers have lines cheaper than $800 a speaker now. Peavey has their Dark Matter series, Mackie has the Thump series, Yamaha has the DBR series, and of course JBL, Electro Voice all have comparable models too. What do you guys recommend? I'm looking to pickup a 12" model this week during all of the Black Friday promotions online.

My gear is a Kemper and Axe-Fx unit if that matters. I plan to use it to play with friends since my 8" monitors are awkward to carry around and I don't like pushing them a whole lot at their house and such.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
Guys on another forum I'm on swear by XiTone cabs.

Personally, I'm interested in a QSC K12. I just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Ended up snagging a well-recommended Electro-Voice ZLX-12P for pretty cheap. Need something with limiting protection at the least. Still interested in hearing other's input though.

I almost got a QSC K12.2 but figured I'd wait on something that expensive without proper research and feedback from everyone here so I went with something that'll serve it's purpose for the next few months at least.

Apparently, people are saying the Turbosound Milan trumps the QSC series? Not even that, but a few others such as the Yamahas I believe were mentioned to be superior. Seems like QSC may have lost top place. Found out about those Atomic CLR Neos...those look sweeeeet.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
As far as I know, the Atomic CLR stuff is still king of the castle but the DXR10 and DXR12 from Yamaha are well regarded units as well

marcwormjim

Reaction score
Let us know your findings.

I’ll be in the market for some powered monitors to use in a bedroom studio Axe FX setup, and hope to see this bumped. In the meantime, I’ll be A/B/C-ing between some inappropriate speaker setups I’ve had in storage.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
There are are a lot of discussions on this specific thing at the Fractal forum. Xitone, Atomic, QSC, Friedman and others all get great reviews overall (of course none are perfect for everyone).

DC23

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of great things about the Matrix FR10/12 as far as smaller FRFR solutions for Axe-FX / Kemper. They aren't exactly cheap though, unfortunately.

vick1000

Reaction score
Best bang for your buck, Yamaha DXR10 if you need high SPL, JBL LSR series monitors if you don't.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I've had an Alto TS112a for a few years now and it has served me well. My band bought a couple of the newer 212 models and they're as good. They are near flat, a little bit bass heavy and a little treble roll off.

I recently got a QSC K8.2. it sounds great and gets loud enough for a band setting, although the it does tend to rattle when bass is played through it at loud volumes, but for guitar frequencies it's never a problem.

I've tried all kinds of powered speakers over the past few years. I played through a Behringer monitor that surprised the crap out of me. That same night I played through a Mackie thump and it sounded pretty damn good which surprised me because a year ago when I tried a Mackie thump at Guitar Center it sounded horrible.

I'm nearing the end of the fall semester of a live sound class where they have a couple of JBL eons that I have played my Helix through a whole bunch and they sound pretty good too.

HerbalDude420

Reaction score
I've had an Alto TS112a for a few years now and it has served me well. My band bought a couple of the newer 212 models and they're as good. They are near flat, a little bit bass heavy and a little treble roll off.

I recently got a QSC K8.2. it sounds great and gets loud enough for a band setting, although the it does tend to rattle when bass is played through it at loud volumes, but for guitar frequencies it's never a problem.

I've tried all kinds of powered speakers over the past few years. I played through a Behringer monitor that surprised the crap out of me. That same night I played through a Mackie thump and it sounded pretty damn good which surprised me because a year ago when I tried a Mackie thump at Guitar Center it sounded horrible.

I'm nearing the end of the fall semester of a live sound class where they have a couple of JBL eons that I have played my Helix through a whole bunch and they sound pretty good too.

I'm on the market for speaker to for my line 6 helix is there any one of those that stuck out to you as better than the rest? I'm currently looking at a Seismic Audio SAX-(15or12)M-PW.

Last edited:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I'm on the market for speaker to for my line 6 helix is there any one of those that stuck out to you as better than the rest? I'm currently looking at a Seismic Audio SAX-(15or12)M-PW.

If everything I remember about Seismic Audio is true, stay away from them...as far as possible.

HerbalDude420

Reaction score
Ok will do. Curious tho what have you heard? Now I'm looking at Electro-Voice ZLX-12P or JBL EON612.

vansinn

Reaction score
Maybe useful, maybe not, but try looking at American Audio speakers.
They had a [discontinued, cheap used] version featuring a 10"woofer + a 1" compression driver, delivering good results - if you're aiming at sounds for your stage works, not empowering the audience ;)
150 watts for the woofer, 50 to the the treble. Might be enough..

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Ok will do. Curious tho what have you heard? Now I'm looking at Electro-Voice ZLX-12P or JBL EON612.

I actually don't remember much about the sound quality but I do remember horrible build quality and reliability being an issue. Read enough stories to make me consider them as disposable. I went with the EV ZLX-12P because even though I own and love some JBL LSR308 studio monitors, I saw a fair amount of reviews talking about the reliability of the JBLs. A couple mentioned DOA units even. Didn't see the same about the EV and researching the Fractal forum after I had already purchased, I found the EV speakers recommended in pretty much every thread on the matter at least once if not multiple times in the same thread.

I liked that the speaker had the monitor angle so you can lay it on the floor too btw. Without that, jamming at a small place with people is very difficult trying to prop one of those up at an angle that lets you hear it while also not being able to vibrate and slip.

HerbalDude420

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with Alto Truesonic TS2 new line of speakers? I have heard good things about them.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
The new Altos are pretty good for what they are, affordable and loud. They don't seem like they're built to last unless you're careful. This is the way it is with all of the budget offerings. The more expensive stuff isn't reverse engineered and is made to last. It's all a give and take really. The Altos aren't horrible, I have an older one and my band has two of the newer TS212s and they get by just fine

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Not a whole lot of "better" going on, just very tiny variations of "different". I suggest going to a brick and mortar store with your Helix and trying a bunch out.

Latest posts