PC vs Mac For Recording

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the rumour regarding Logic Pro Apps and MacBooks to see update at WWDC | 9 to 5 Mac

The problems with that rumour is Apple have never announced pro apps at WWDC and it is highly unlikely that Apple would release Logic 9 before Snow Leopard. I am guessing that an announcement regarding Snow Leopard is likely but I doubt Logic 9, most people expect a major update to Logic 8 before Logic 9 is released. Even if Logic 9 is announced I wouldn't expect it to be out until early 2010.

Another thing to consider if you are holding out is early adopters of Logic 8 complained that it was very buggy and are in no hurry to upgrade as they believe that Apple has finally got it right so now would be the best time to buy and then upgrade to Logic 9 express for $99 or studio for $199 once they sort the bugs out with it.

The thing with technology is there is always something new coming out and if you wait for the new thing you never buy anything, the best time to buy is when you need it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a more powerful processor, do you need less RAM?

RAM, CPU and the Front side bus all seem to come together in making a high performance machine. although IIRC with the new Core i7 CPU does away with what is normally thought of as a FSB. And now that FSB bottle neck is taken out of the equation, in general it can run more efficiently.

Reaction score
This is the rumour regarding Logic Pro Apps and MacBooks to see update at WWDC | 9 to 5 Mac

The problems with that rumour is Apple have never announced pro apps at WWDC and it is highly unlikely that Apple would release Logic 9 before Snow Leopard. I am guessing that an announcement regarding Snow Leopard is likely but I doubt Logic 9, most people expect a major update to Logic 8 before Logic 9 is released. Even if Logic 9 is announced I wouldn't expect it to be out until early 2010.

Another thing to consider if you are holding out is early adopters of Logic 8 complained that it was very buggy and are in no hurry to upgrade as they believe that Apple has finally got it right so now would be the best time to buy and then upgrade to Logic 9 express for $99 or studio for $199 once they sort the bugs out with it.

The thing with technology is there is always something new coming out and if you wait for the new thing you never buy anything, the best time to buy is when you need it.

Actually ,I was awaitnig that even before I read the article.

The price of the Logic 8 studio droped 300euros here and that made me think of the update.:idea:

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
So a lot of you guys seem to know quite a bit about the computer realm, so maybe one of you guys knows what the hell is going on with mine...
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/recording-studio/84594-wtf-mang.html
and to all you mac guys on this topic...I just went to the apple site to see what they had going on...whats up with that mini mac???? any experience with them? for 600 bucks, Im seriously thinking about making that my next purchase...its got pretty much the same specs as a baseline imac from what i can tell, and ive heard a lot about macs being built specifically for multimedia (recording, movie making, gaming, etc) Ive only had experience with macs in middle school when there were still those big ass flimsy disks and the screens were about 8 inches (hell yeha oregon trail!!!) if these mini macs are for real, im def gonna look more into it.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: The Mini mac is for real. You have to supply your own keyboard, mouse and monitor or you can buy them from Apple but if you are happy with what you have already then no need. The newest Mac Mini now has the ability to run two monitors as well.

I have an older model and it's a nice little multi purpose family computer that handles general day to day tasks fine.

XxXPete

Reaction score
I can attest to the statement that "pc's with vista 64 ......suck ASS!"

Lenny

Reaction score
I went to mac after 10 years of pc, i built a pc for audio and it crashed too many times, maybe not common,but i was stressed and frustrated, got a mac, not a single problem, yet

Drow Swordsman

Reaction score
I'm not going to get into the argument of why PC's suck or why Macs are awesome, I will simply state my experience.

I've had PC's pretty much my whole life, and while never had any miserable times with any of them, I still disliked the troubles they had now and again (whether it be viruses, random mishaps, massive slowdowns, etc.).

I got a MacBook Pro back in January (with this site's support being one of the reasons I considered it) and I've never had a computer of any kind that I've ever felt I've LOVED until I got my MacBook Pro. I don't think I'll ever go back to running a PC.

With Crossover Games Mac I've also had no trouble playing the (few) games I play (Counterstrike 1.6, Source, etc).