Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

• Thread starter Takk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Like many I'm trying to weigh up whether its worth going for the Invective or a 6505 & pedals. Only difference is I'm looking at MH models.
I've got a 100w head and 4x12 at the minute but considering downsizing for space. I could fit a vertical 2x12, head & all my guitars/hardcases into the space currently taken up by my oversize 4x12.
The Invective MHs were showing out of stock for a long time, and the websites that had due dates were showing 12+ weeks.
I reached out to Peavey and they said they're hoping to get the MHs available in the UK before Christmas.

The 6505 is also 2/3 the price...

Last edited:

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Like many I'm trying to weigh up whether its worth going for the Invective or a 6505 & pedals. Only difference is I'm looking at MH models.
I've got a 100w head and 4x12 at the minute but considering downsizing for space. I could fit a vertical 2x12, head & all my guitars/hardcases into the space currently taken up by my oversize 4x12.
The Invective MHs were showing out of stock for a long time, and the websites that had due dates were showing 12+ weeks.
I reached out to Peavey and they said they're hoping to get the MHs available in the UK before Christmas.

The 6505 is also 2/3 the price...

How important is the clean tone?

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
That's it isn't it! That's the question. At the minute I've not been able to get a decent clean tone out of my amp. Historically I've never used cleans, I've always been a two or three pedal guy, one being a distortion pedal. But since I've been playing more at home and not gigging anymore, I've fancied a setup to nail the cleans.

I can dial a great metal tone, but I've never had to dial cleans, so I'm clueless.
Should I buy a chorus pedal? A decent reverb? Questions questions. I've never had a clean channel I've liked so I don't know how much I'd use it. I do find myself lusting over guitars with piezo bridges, those accoustic simulator pedals etc so there must be a part of me wants it.
Maybe I'll just play the Fade to Black intro and then get over it. But my current amp has a woolly 'almost-overdriven' clean channel leaving me wanting more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
6505MH plus a DIY Precision Drive (aka Dwarven Hammer) would do it. The Invective MH OD and noise gate is not even adjustable. And you lose a crunch channel. The crunch channel on the 6505MH is nice for some blues and low gain stuff with its onboard reverb. The clean channel with the bright switch on is very useable too.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Oooh that's helpful thanks! Will have a look into the Dwarven Hammer too I'm just about to start my Triangulum boost!

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
List like three songs/parts where you like the clean tone. That might spark some ideas. I feel a little dirty saying this in this thread but have you looked into the EVH amps?

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Not looked into them yet, think I discounted them as they have about five knobs in the front, so didn’t believe I cold get much better than I get now. I’m looking at lunchbox amps though.

Cleans I like, luckily all in the intros. Probably drowned with chorus reverb and delay but here goes:

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Reverb and delay. Not a ton of chorus I don’t think. Could be wrong though. Although I think you could get away with the 6505mh cleans, the Invective cleans would probably be closer to the more crystal cleans of the ones you posted.

I mentioned the 5153 50s because they’re narrow enough to fit on a vertical 2x12.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd discounted them because of the 50w but it could be worth looking into! Do they have the Fender cleans?

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
I'd discounted them because of the 50w but it could be worth looking into! Do they have the Fender cleans?

Yes the cleans are very Fender.

And they’re super controllable at low volume or can get damned loud so don’t let the 50w bother you.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
That might actually help because I'd considered getting rid of my monster amp & 4x12 because I don't gig anymore. But the "what if" aspect of future band activities left me hesitant.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look into them! If they have great cleans and take a pedals like a motherbitch then I might have found my amp!

Blast Meat

Some German Dude
Reaction score
IMO stick with a rig you like at full tilt boogie, ...buy a two notes captor and keep the tone you love....

Captor FTW. My recordings in my apartment using a SM57 have never been as good as the amp plugged straight into the Captor with some quality IR's. For the money it's a no brainer

BTW: Did Misha dieded? Has been damn quiet for some time. He was joining the discussions about his sig amp earlier but I haven't seen Peavey or him doing any promotion in the past few weeks and months?

I think they should, because the Invective doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Blast Meat

Some German Dude
Reaction score
Same here in Germany...

Mine really was the absolute last one in stock, can't believe it. I tried all huge stores in Germany and they were out of stock and I just found a single Invective on some price comparison website which is taking a look at all online shops in Europe. And the retailer said it's the very last one. So I got it...

When I check this price comparison website now there is still not a single Invective. The first shop to have it back in stock is Thomann supposingly mid January 2021. Well...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Captor FTW. My recordings in my apartment using a SM57 have never been as good as the amp plugged straight into the Captor with some quality IR's. For the money it's a no brainer

BTW: Did Misha dieded? Has been damn quiet for some time. He was joining the discussions about his sig amp earlier but I haven't seen Peavey or him doing any promotion in the past few weeks and months?

I think they should, because the Invective doesn't get the attention it deserves.
Considering they can hardly even get them out the door, I'm not surprised that Peavey and Misha are basically acting like it doesn't exist.

Blast Meat

Some German Dude
Reaction score
True again... But to be honest I also think that it wasn't a good choice to present it as Mishas signature head without highlighting the flexibility. The few people I know and who heared about the Invective thought it is just a one trick pony for Djent stuff...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
True again... But to be honest I also think that it wasn't a good choice to present it as Mishas signature head without highlighting the flexibility. The few people I know and who heared about the Invective thought it is just a one trick pony for Djent stuff...
Either way, if they can't get it into stores, then who cares, ultimately speaking.