Peavey Invective Megathread Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

• Thread starter Takk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I play music

Reaction score
I guess he needs the invective for the same reason as some of us. 5150 sound, but midi, clean channel and 3 real channels...
Sounds like things you could want to play live but who's really gigging these days? For recording you don't need that

Blast Meat

Some German Dude
Reaction score
Sounds like things you could want to play live but who's really gigging these days? For recording you don't need that
Ok at the moment there really aren't a lot of gigging options. :D

But personally what I like about the Invective is that it has everything you could possibly need in any situation that might come up. If you just need hi gain sounds and play in a metal band I'd prefer the 6505 or 5150, too. Due to the price...

But the invective is like a Swiss knive and while you might not need it now, there will be a point where you miss certain features. At least this happened to me more than once during the past 16 years of tone hunt. :confused:

I play music

Reaction score
But the invective is like a Swiss knive and while you might not need it now, there will be a point where you miss certain features. At least this happened to me more than once during the past 16 years of tone hunt. :confused:
Personally I found out I never use all the extra features that I thought I could need at some point :lol:

Blast Meat

Some German Dude
Reaction score
Well it really depends. :p

I have to say that I was using the past months to study seven! books about harmony, taking notes and repeatingly learning them. So far I learned 300 questions about harmony, scales, modes, chords, modal interchange and very jazz specific stuff because I want to make use of some new sounds rather than playing the same pentatonic licks. And during this time I found out how much I need different sounds (including clean) for practice and writing stuff, practicing writing different pieces in different genres and so on.

Personally for me I need every single feature the Invective has.

1. I was annoyed to activate my Maxon OD 808 manually when switching to rhythem sounds. Playing clean was not able because it always adds some slight distortion, even through a Fender type clean circuit. Having the onboard boost allows me to switch channels and the boost at the same time without activating 20 buttons.

2. Same for programmable FX loops. Store a lead delay preset and the loop with delay will be activated. No more pressing 2 buttons twice

3. 60 Watt mode is nice due to sound (attenuates 10k'ish fizz) and due to the fact that my reactive load is restricted to 100 watt only, but I can flick a switch and blow my apartment up if needed.

4. I actually need all the channels of the invective

5. I also need midi, was a main criteria. Sometimes I use a Boss GT 1000 as midi controller and using the 4 cable method (of course without the Boss amp sims, but real amps instead) you can save unlimited effects and presets and the GT 1000 will switch channels and Features of the real amp. So you can use the GT 1000 as a Footswitch with 250 presets if needed. (I mean 250 presets is just over the top, I know...)

6. Having two loops is nice, too. I keep the defizzerator in Loop 2 to cut off fizz that you can't dial out with the presence knob. And I still can use my delay in Loop 1.

7. The FX power jacks on the amp are nice. Somebody said this is bullshit because there will be ground loops or buzz, but I never had the slightes noises due to the current flow. So it works. And I always use it because long cables in the loop remove high frequencies from your sound and when on stage, it's nice to not run your signal through 50 feet of cable before it hits the speaker. You may say it's impossible to hear, but I actually measured the impact of different cables and there is. And it's more audible than you think. So beiong able to control the effects (by actually controlling the two loops) is nice to keep the cables short --> pristine tone

8. I also use the gate, because this is one more FX unit I can keep away from my pedal board. Plus it is programmable, too. So if you want to play leads without a gate to not get cut off when sustaining long notes? Store a preset and everything will be switched with one tap.

9. External bias points: Is a MUST HAVE for me, seriously. I insist on playing tube amps (whereas if you show me a recording of the real amp vs an axe fx, they will both sound good) but I still prefer playing tube amps. Simply because I love these glowing bulbs. But I want an amp that doesn't need to be entirely taken apart for biasing.

10. Due to the external bias points you actually have a 5150 with bias mod, but you don't have to get your amp modded. If you like higher bias, turn it up. Ah and of course everyone complaining about this amp having 6l6 tubes can switch to KT88, 6550 and EL34. You just need to re-bias, which is done in 5 minutes. Some people also like to mod their 5150 to use different tubes.

The only thing I don't really need is the master boost and the DI out because I am running my heads into a hardware IR loader post power section and then into a cab for monitoring on stage. But the signal is actually a mesa 4x12 IR straight to the FOH. Everything else is exactly what I have always wanted on my dream amp, including the real 6505/5150 sound.

Long story short: If you need it, it's great value for the money. If you don't need it, get a 6505 and a Maxon OD 808/Ibanez TS9. But 10 years ago the lead channel of the 6505 would have been everything I need. But my needs have changed a lot during the past decade...

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
Just get some other amp man, there are hundreds out there ...

used 5150 style amps can be had for quite affordable btw

I have other amps. I specifically sold an EVH 5150 III to fund the Invective due to the extra features. I have moved away from the Helix in 4CM so the two effects loops will enable me to have an always on delay, harmonic tremolo, and reverb assigned to a wet clean channel and a separate delay and reverb unit for the overdrive channels. The separate boosts will probably come in handy and MIDI control is a feature all high end amps should come with and for some reason the 100 watt EVH amps don’t have it. There aren’t a lot of amps in the price range that have a similar feature set. JVM410H and some of the Engl offerings are pretty similar but the JVM wasn’t quite as good at the modded Marshall sound as channel 1 of my Uberschall and Engl amps have an outrageous markup in the states. I have the Recto sound covered with the MW so the Archon doesn’t interest me as much. Other than those there aren’t a whole lot of competitive products that I’m aware of.

I have been working to move a lot of gear that wasn’t seeing much use and now I have a MW Recto and Uberschall TJ until the Invective arrives.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Been asked a couple times now so FWIW the Invective footswitch Dimensions are:

12.5 x 6.75 x 2.5

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
As good as the clean channel is, I was wishing it was more sparkly and was more Fenderish. On a whim, I reached out to John Fields to see if that could be done. John is the guy who worked with Misha and designed the Invective. He said it was pretty easy so I sent it off to him.

I got it back today and, long story short, mission accomplished. It sounds VERY Fenderish now. I played it side by side with my Vibrolux (both through my 2x12) and other than the Vibrolux having more low end (too much if you don’t dial it back) the Invective clean now sounds very, very much the same.

beavis2306

Lusts for gear
Reaction score
As good as the clean channel is, I was wishing it was more sparkly and was more Fenderish. On a whim, I reached out to John Fields to see if that could be done. John is the guy who worked with Misha and designed the Invective. He said it was pretty easy so I sent it off to him.

I got it back today and, long story short, mission accomplished. It sounds VERY Fenderish now. I played it side by side with my Vibrolux (both through my 2x12) and other than the Vibrolux having more low end (too much if you don’t dial it back) the Invective clean now sounds very, very much the same.

Are you still able to get the cleans you could but with more sparkle capability now or have you lost something?

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score

What did he do to it?

I love the cleans, but find myself using the eq in the loop to boost some high end.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
What did he do to it?

I love the cleans, but find myself using the eq in the loop to boost some high end.

When I asked him if it was doable he said yes. He said he didn’t want to say exactly what the mod was but that he’d be happy to do it. He documented everything. Also when I mentioned it had less low end than my Vibrolux he said he would provide me pics and info to take to someone if I wanted. He also offered that I could send it back for a free adjustment if I wasn’t happy with it.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
One thing I've kinda been wondering lately, is if it's possible to mod the amp to change where one of the loops are in the signal chain? For example, having a Pre and Post loop (like the Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro) with the Pre loop being between the preamp and the noise gate. I sometimes use other boost pedals in front (Abominable Electronics Evil Ned mostly) and they completely overwhelm the built in noise gate (that and it would be nice to have them switched off when I switch to the clean channel)

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Interesting question. Shoot John Fields a message on FB. He’s a really cool and helpful dude. Let me know if you have trouble finding him.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
I suspect a shipment is on its way across the pond.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Well it really depends. :p

I have to say that I was using the past months to study seven! books about harmony, taking notes and repeatingly learning them. So far I learned 300 questions about harmony, scales, modes, chords, modal interchange and very jazz specific stuff because I want to make use of some new sounds rather than playing the same pentatonic licks. And during this time I found out how much I need different sounds (including clean) for practice and writing stuff, practicing writing different pieces in different genres and so on.

Personally for me I need every single feature the Invective has.

1. I was annoyed to activate my Maxon OD 808 manually when switching to rhythem sounds. Playing clean was not able because it always adds some slight distortion, even through a Fender type clean circuit. Having the onboard boost allows me to switch channels and the boost at the same time without activating 20 buttons.

2. Same for programmable FX loops. Store a lead delay preset and the loop with delay will be activated. No more pressing 2 buttons twice

3. 60 Watt mode is nice due to sound (attenuates 10k'ish fizz) and due to the fact that my reactive load is restricted to 100 watt only, but I can flick a switch and blow my apartment up if needed.

4. I actually need all the channels of the invective

5. I also need midi, was a main criteria. Sometimes I use a Boss GT 1000 as midi controller and using the 4 cable method (of course without the Boss amp sims, but real amps instead) you can save unlimited effects and presets and the GT 1000 will switch channels and Features of the real amp. So you can use the GT 1000 as a Footswitch with 250 presets if needed. (I mean 250 presets is just over the top, I know...)

6. Having two loops is nice, too. I keep the defizzerator in Loop 2 to cut off fizz that you can't dial out with the presence knob. And I still can use my delay in Loop 1.

7. The FX power jacks on the amp are nice. Somebody said this is bullshit because there will be ground loops or buzz, but I never had the slightes noises due to the current flow. So it works. And I always use it because long cables in the loop remove high frequencies from your sound and when on stage, it's nice to not run your signal through 50 feet of cable before it hits the speaker. You may say it's impossible to hear, but I actually measured the impact of different cables and there is. And it's more audible than you think. So beiong able to control the effects (by actually controlling the two loops) is nice to keep the cables short --> pristine tone

8. I also use the gate, because this is one more FX unit I can keep away from my pedal board. Plus it is programmable, too. So if you want to play leads without a gate to not get cut off when sustaining long notes? Store a preset and everything will be switched with one tap.

9. External bias points: Is a MUST HAVE for me, seriously. I insist on playing tube amps (whereas if you show me a recording of the real amp vs an axe fx, they will both sound good) but I still prefer playing tube amps. Simply because I love these glowing bulbs. But I want an amp that doesn't need to be entirely taken apart for biasing.

10. Due to the external bias points you actually have a 5150 with bias mod, but you don't have to get your amp modded. If you like higher bias, turn it up. Ah and of course everyone complaining about this amp having 6l6 tubes can switch to KT88, 6550 and EL34. You just need to re-bias, which is done in 5 minutes. Some people also like to mod their 5150 to use different tubes.

The only thing I don't really need is the master boost and the DI out because I am running my heads into a hardware IR loader post power section and then into a cab for monitoring on stage. But the signal is actually a mesa 4x12 IR straight to the FOH. Everything else is exactly what I have always wanted on my dream amp, including the real 6505/5150 sound.

Long story short: If you need it, it's great value for the money. If you don't need it, get a 6505 and a Maxon OD 808/Ibanez TS9. But 10 years ago the lead channel of the 6505 would have been everything I need. But my needs have changed a lot during the past decade...

Wait a god damn second. You can run KT88s in the Invective?

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Are you still able to get the cleans you could but with more sparkle capability now or have you lost something?

Sorry, I missed this question. I love Fendery cleans and after I got past the honeymoon period I wished the Invective had that style clean. So these are better for me. However it doesn’t quite sound the same with the stock boost on and cranked up a bit. Still a cool sound but not the same. So if anything is “missing” that would be it.