Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gothberg

I'm a rookie, eh?
Reaction score
Heheh, we still need to tour in support of the first album, but we definitely have not stopped writing - I think you guys are going to really like the what we're coming up with these days, especially with way more band involvement with the writing.

But I'm glad some of you are getting stoked to hear new stuff :)

haha we still have much touring to do before we can work on a new album, but we are trying to start recording our next album late spring if things/tours/plans work out that way.
we are already writing for it, spencer has been working on vocals nonstop since he got back for all sorts of projects including our new material, and the plan is to have everything written by then, so we can spend our time tweaking it between now and then instead of during the actual recording.
we are also trying to head out to europe early next year but those are just tentative plans, there is nothing set in stone, but trust me, we are doing everything we can to get to there and japan in 2011! (and maybe australia again with some luck too!)

or you just drop everything and come to sweden, yeah thats more like it!
doesn't even matter if you sit on a stage and clap your hands, I'd pay whatever you want! :metal:

no but that sounds awesome, I'll wait!

JakePeriphery

who callin my phone?
Reaction score
So when can we expect some new material or a couple teasers Jake and/or Bulb?

We have some stuff planned that I think you guys will be into, we still need to release the song for the last contest winner, so I think that's probably gonna be the next official thing we release. But we'll make an official announcement detailing all that stuff soon, don't want to jump the gun though.

JakePeriphery

who callin my phone?
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...

Which one of you would win in a Arm wrestling competition?

Haha none of us are really the physical type but some of you probably know Alex is the muscles of the band and I heard Ben Weinman from Dillinger whooped his ass in an arm wrestle hahah

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score

Scarpie

Reaction score
OK guys, I have to admit, i crossed a boundary. Never meant to come across like my opinion was God's ruling or whatnot. I apologize for my approach, but in the end, I relate less and less to mass audiences that buy into modern heavy music. I will clarify that I personally am not a fan of said vocalists high singing. It sounds very emo to me. And bulb letting the cat out of the bag as to his inexperience with screaming is evident everytime he screams. Spencer sounds like he is ripping his vocal chords in every possible way when he screams. Very throaty tone that is not pleasant to MY ears due to the years I have come to hear singers ruin their voice (permanently). Cause Spencer, regardless of how hard he works, and is loved, sounds very forced and unnatural. His vocal chords are not distorting properly due to a misdirected projection of his air. He is working too hard in the wrong way to scream. But blah blah blah, I have my reasons. I know he hasn't been singing long, cause I can hear it. But the amount of hate or negative attention I've received since unintentionaly starting this shitstorm is real dissapointing.

Am I entitled to my opinion? Yes I am. Did I go about it in a cockish fasion? Well, I am learning that I did. Truth is ss.org, I am not a dick. And I am not going to lie, I sincerely do NOT enjoy offending people or pissing fans off. But i am opinionated, and passionate about what I do and love. So I have to learn how to clarify, "not my cup of tea." And as far as opinions go, every single praise of said vocalists ability pertains to his range. My complaint pertains to tone. Truth is, there are two kinds of ,musicians. The kind who will be impressed with ability, for technical entertainment, and the kind who need to feel something. And tone plays a very big part in that. Subjective but who can enjoy music if the tone is offensive to a specific listener? (not general, see I am learning)
Case in point, people around the world love this singers voice, but I can't enjoy it cause it's tonefully displeasing to me. Tone playing the biggest role here

As for jake and bulb, again as stated in my first comment. My hat does in fact come off to you. Your level of charisma and involvement with fans is unsurpassed. I personally am just frustrated to hear the deliver of what you guys do at the hands of someone who simply doesn't have the experience. And that is the center of attention. But again, it's just not my cup of tea.

Bulb has been inspiring to countless people, myself included. I mean c'mon, I am 30 and only got my pod, and looking to record my own music because of how effortless he makes it seem. So will this forum understand i am not a hater? hahaha probably not, but my infamous ways of being misunderstood kick me in the ass to this day. And I do apologize. I will say that i never expected that defining my reason in opinions would be necessary to keep from being offensive, I always imagined that would be boring to people. But hey, I'll give it a shot.

sorry guys.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Im just wondering why people come into the "PERIPHERY MEGA THREAD" to say negative things.

either way, i accept your apology.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
OK guys, I have to admit, i crossed a boundary. Never meant to come across like my opinion was God's ruling or whatnot. I apologize for my approach, but in the end, I relate less and less to mass audiences that buy into modern heavy music. I will clarify that I personally am not a fan of said vocalists high singing. It sounds very emo to me. And bulb letting the cat out of the bag as to his inexperience with screaming is evident everytime he screams. Spencer sounds like he is ripping his vocal chords in every possible way when he screams. Very throaty tone that is not pleasant to MY ears due to the years I have come to hear singers ruin their voice (permanently). Cause Spencer, regardless of how hard he works, and is loved, sounds very forced and unnatural. His vocal chords are not distorting properly due to a misdirected projection of his air. He is working too hard in the wrong way to scream. But blah blah blah, I have my reasons. I know he hasn't been singing long, cause I can hear it. But the amount of hate or negative attention I've received since unintentionaly starting this shitstorm is real dissapointing.

Am I entitled to my opinion? Yes I am. Did I go about it in a cockish fasion? Well, I am learning that I did. Truth is ss.org, I am not a dick. And I am not going to lie, I sincerely do NOT enjoy offending people or pissing fans off. But i am opinionated, and passionate about what I do and love. So I have to learn how to clarify, "not my cup of tea." And as far as opinions go, every single praise of said vocalists ability pertains to his range. My complaint pertains to tone. Truth is, there are two kinds of ,musicians. The kind who will be impressed with ability, for technical entertainment, and the kind who need to feel something. And tone plays a very big part in that. Subjective but who can enjoy music if the tone is offensive to a specific listener? (not general, see I am learning)
Case in point, people around the world love this singers voice, but I can't enjoy it cause it's tonefully displeasing to me. Tone playing the biggest role here

As for jake and bulb, again as stated in my first comment. My hat does in fact come off to you. Your level of charisma and involvement with fans is unsurpassed. I personally am just frustrated to hear the deliver of what you guys do at the hands of someone who simply doesn't have the experience. And that is the center of attention. But again, it's just not my cup of tea.

Bulb has been inspiring to countless people, myself included. I mean c'mon, I am 30 and only got my pod, and looking to record my own music because of how effortless he makes it seem. So will this forum understand i am not a hater? hahaha probably not, but my infamous ways of being misunderstood kick me in the ass to this day. And I do apologize. I will say that i never expected that defining my reason in opinions would be necessary to keep from being offensive, I always imagined that would be boring to people. But hey, I'll give it a shot.

sorry guys.

Respectable. Well said sir. :cool: +1

Steve08

Reaction score
Literally just heard Spencer and the new Walk... Wow.

So much improvement (IMO - growlswise ofc).
Yeah, that was certainly much better than his performance on the album, though the brief double tracked section irked me somewhat, and while they aren't the best growls I've ever heard I would probably listen to the whole song with vocals like that on it as opposed to just sticking to instrumental Periphery. His singing voice will always annoy the hell out of me though...

Scarpie

Reaction score
Im just wondering why people come into the "PERIPHERY MEGA THREAD" to say negative things.

either way, i accept your apology.

Honestly, it's very annoying to me that I can't enjoy Periphery cause the singers voice is all i hear. I like the music, but I'm cursed I guess. And like a dick i let my emotions get the best of me. We learn as we go.

:wallbash:

p.s. thank you for acknowledging my sentiment upon learning the error of my old ways.

JakePeriphery

who callin my phone?
Reaction score
You didn't start a shitstorm, it's all good dude, I never felt this got out of hand or you were being a dick I was just saying that there's a difference between saying someone sucks and saying you don't like the timbre or tonality of a particular voice. What you hear something as forced and unnatural sounds powerful and unique to my ear - I feel it's important to acknowledge the difference of human perception.

Yaris

Beaver Sack #2
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited cause I'm seeing Periphery on the 10th, and it's gonna be my first metal concert. :hbang:

Latest posts