Picks Vs. Fingers

• Thread starter swayman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pick or Fingers?

• Pick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fingers

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • I use both

Votes: 27 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
John Entwistle, while not busy inventing growling vocals or contributing to Pete Townsend's hearing loss, was known to occasionally play bass with a pick.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Nice videos, thanks man. They dont sound as good as when people are soloing with fingers. I understand the difference in sound etc etc:yesway:

I guess I'll have to go the hard way on this one. Tried a 5 string bass today and it was quite nice with the finger picking, felt more comfortable than with a 4 string. Maybe its the width of the neck that got me down before.:idea:

Rogueleader

Bringer Of Storms
Reaction score
I prefer fingers from a fell standpoint.

I was mainly a bass player but now that I've switched to guitar my finger technique just isn't up to par. Theres some fast stuff where using a pick is much more precise.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
I will be one of the many people to say it depends on the genre. Personally, I use my fingers a lot more though. I mainly use three, but can use four from time to time.

Some genres just sound better with a pick (powerviolence with tube fuzz, for example).

blister7321

Reaction score
i use both pending the type of song im playing

i primarily play as a punk bassist so i use a pick for faster songs with alot of attitude for slower ones i use da fingers
and i suck at slappin

Steve08

Reaction score
Fingers are just generally more advantageous, in my opinion... you can get the heavy sound with fingers too, see messrs Webster and Martinie.

But hey, just my take :)

I can play pretty much any fast song on guitar but when it comes to bass I cant play fast with the fingers. I'd like to start playing bass as an extra instrument but I am concerned about how long it will take to play fast with fingers and if it will affect my guitar playing pick style.:scratch:

Then again so many bass players use a pick but I dont know any virtuosos that use a pick (for example origins bassist and alex webster are both my favourite bassists but use fingers). Can anyone name a few killer bassists that use picks fellas?:shred:
Check out Carol Kaye, Steve Swallow, and Carles Benavent, for heavier stuff Jim Sheppard, Sean Beasley, and Colin Marston, and for the less brutal but more experimental metal, Jeff Caxide, Bryan Herweg, Brian Cook and Justin Chancellor.

edit: Oh yeah, how could I forget, Chris Squire anyone?

Powermetalbass

Powermetalbassist
Reaction score
Fingers is the only way to go. Someone who uses a pick is focusing too much on how a bass looks,and is played like a guitar. Then theres those poser bassists who just couldn't make it as a guitarist.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
Fingers is the only way to go. Someone who uses a pick is focusing too much on how a bass looks,and is played like a guitar. Then theres those poser bassists who just couldn't make it as a guitarist.

I don't understand how using a pick has anything to do with how a bass looks.

I like to use both depending on the situation and what kind of tone I'm after. Sometimes I might use a pick and then in the middle of the song I'll then place the pick in my mouth to open up my fingers for something that requires more than one or two fingers on my right hand to execute (such as tapping).

thefpb2

Reaction score
nothing wrong with a pick, the standard that it should be played with fingers is artificial and arbitrary. Use you feet if you want and it gets the sound you desire.

Powermetalbass

Powermetalbassist
Reaction score
Been off the boards for a while. My point way back is that many people look at a bass and see a 4 string low sounding guitar. The bass was originally a huge stand up baritone instrument played with your fingers. Kinda like comparing a citar, a guitar and a Mandolin to each other. They are 3 different instruments intended to be played differently. People see the modern bass and think of it as stated above.

I have no problem with Pick playing by other bassists, I just think too many people see bass guitar and think guitar with less strings played with a pick (which is why there is a tendedncy for people to believe bassists are just failed guitarists)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i use my fingers when i want a bright and ringing sound with lots of attack, but fingers when i want a soft and airy sound. depends on what i'm playing. In general i'll use a pick, and fingers are more for the quieter or more nuanced parts here and there.