Pickup Color Codes and Diagrams - for all Humbuckers

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I've got a customer asking for the following wire diagram, and for the life of me, I can't find a way to make position #3 an option.
Any suggestions?

1) Bridge Pickup (Down)

2) Bridge + Middle

3) Neck + Bridge **rather than middle pickup alone**

4) Neck + Middle

5) Neck Pickup (Up)

I don't know the answer to your question, but as someone who doesn't know anything about this stuff, I'm often surprised to find out that so many seemingly simple control schemes require a "super switch".

jarledge

Reaction score
if you have a little time, i'll see if i can do a diagram with this wiring. What pickups do they have/plan on using ?

I've got a customer asking for the following wire diagram, and for the life of me, I can't find a way to make position #3 an option.
Any suggestions?

1) Bridge Pickup (Down)

2) Bridge + Middle

3) Neck + Bridge **rather than middle pickup alone**

4) Neck + Middle

5) Neck Pickup (Up)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarledge

Reaction score
no the purple/blue is the hot connection out of the switch. the zero (0) lugs are the always on. each one of the 4 poles has a zero lug and by connecting them together you are connecting the poles. so it goes pole 1 = top left , pole 2 = bottom left, pole 3 = top right, pole 4 = bottom right.

each number 1-5 corresponds to the switch position. so switch position 1 = lug 1 on pole 1,2,3,4. and position 2 = lug 2 on pole 1,2,3,4. and so on.

i left pole 1 empty, so the zero lug doesn't need to get connected to the other zero lugs.

Is the Purple the ground?

jarledge

Reaction score
FWIW, this is the switch that I have. https://www.allparts.com/products/ep-0078-4-pole-5-way-oak-grisby-super-switch
I presume the gap between the main group of terminals is of no significance, & just go with the number of terminals per side, correct?

yes, the zero terminals are a little further down then the groups of 1-5. it should all lay out the same way. Just take a multi meter and double check the 1 position and 5 position to make sure you put the switch in the right way around (continuity check between the zero and 1 pole). I just put one in one of my guitars and put it in backwards, and the switch doesn't fit the other way so i have to eventually redo it.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
All correct as you displayed with the following exception, scoot the entire 3 terminal connections for the bridge p/u to the left just one position and it's dead on. The only anomaly I've encountered with the customer's desired wire scheme is that when the #3 (center) position is selected to get the bridge & neck pickup together, they are out of phase with one another. Now my concern is that if I flip the phase on either the neck or bridge pickups, the same result will take place in positions 2 & 4.
I'm gonna share my results with the customer before changing anything.

jarledge

Reaction score
All correct as you displayed with the following exception, scoot the entire 3 terminal connections for the bridge p/u to the left just one position and it's dead on. The only anomaly I've encountered with the customer's desired wire scheme is that when the #3 (center) position is selected to get the bridge & neck pickup together, they are out of phase with one another. Now my concern is that if I flip the phase on either the neck or bridge pickups, the same result will take place in positions 2 & 4.
I'm gonna share my results with the customer before changing anything.

the phase issue might be tough what pickups do you they have ? is the middle a true single coil or stacked ?

i could probably come up with a wiring scenario where the phase for neck or bridge is flipped in position 3 but it would take me a little bit of time to work it out.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Thay are true single coils bu https://mcnellypickups.com, but I realized upon final inspection I had a grounding issue going on & all seems normal now. All buttoned up, dropped off, & invoiced!
He custom hand winds any pickup into a soap-bar p-90 and the customer had them wound as Jazzmaster (Neck), Stratocaster (Middle), Telecaster (Bridge).

It's a custom Warmoth build, via a local retail chain. Since it's not a direct customer of mine, I have an agreement with this resource to not share pics of jobs done through them publicly, I only post my own direct customers, otherwise I'd be glad to post it, turned out really nice. Also has a Gretcsh style "Mud Switch" on the lower horn, with the 5-Way one the upper horn.

Thanks again for your help.

jarledge

Reaction score
Thay are true single coils bu https://mcnellypickups.com, but I realized upon final inspection I had a grounding issue going on & all seems normal now. All buttoned up, dropped off, & invoiced!
He custom hand winds any pickup into a soap-bar p-90 and the customer had them wound as Jazzmaster (Neck), Stratocaster (Middle), Telecaster (Bridge).

It's a custom Warmoth build, via a local retail chain. Since it's not a direct customer of mine, I have an agreement with this resource to not share pics of jobs done through them publicly, I only post my own direct customers, otherwise I'd be glad to post it, turned out really nice. Also has a Gretcsh style "Mud Switch" on the lower horn, with the 5-Way one the upper horn.

Thanks again for your help.

awesome, and no worries. Happy to help.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Now I've got another unique customer request.
I have a customer who has a super strat guitar (old Kramer) in an HxH config that had a 3 way LP style toggle.
He routed a center pickup route and installed a standard single coil, no making it an HSH config, with a single volume, tone & 3 way toggle.
He wants it wired as follows:
/ = Bridge humbucker by itself.
I = Center Single Coil & Neck humbucker
\ = Neck humbucker by itself
I know that the best option would be to use EP1112 5-way blade switch & to route accordingly for it, but he is dead set on a 3 way toggle.
Would Dimarzio's EP1111 (JPM) work for this, and if so, would you have an appropriate wire diagram?
The humbuckers are PAF Pro's, center SC is a standard 2 conductor.

Short of this, I found the Freeway switch at Stew Mac, but to install it would require more routing on this guitar as the toggle switch location is right up against the cavity wall.
I also bought one of these this week, and still for the life of me can't figure out any other connections other than the ground and the bridge hot.
https://reverb.com/item/17784073-switchcraft-3-way-toggle-switch-for-3-pickup-les-paul-nickel

Latest posts