Please suggest a guitar that would fit my description

GtrEnthusiast

Reaction score
I'm looking for guitar that doesn't cost a fortune, sounds good, looks good and plays well. Electronics and hardware can be upgraded, so I don't mind investing in a guitar that is built very finely and can serve as a foundation.
My budget is around 1000-1200$. I also don't mind buying a used one from eBay, given that it is in fine condition.

Start Style, HSS
Alder preferred, will consider others as well
Fretboard Radius around 12", Maple/Rosewood
22 frets, 25.5" scale length
Set neck/Bolt on.
I prefer pickups that are just hot enough that they don't take over the dynamics.

So any thoughts?

Don't bother reading;
Now the issue I'm facing is with the bridge. I'm not a fan of the tremolo systems and I've noticed that pivots, studs of floating bridges wear out in a couple of months inducing slight sharpness or flatness in the pitch, when used. (Yes, I know they are not supposed to be rotated under tension)
But I rarely see Strat style guitars with a fixed bridge. What exactly is the reason? Is it because the tremolo gives you more sustain, or it compliments the other specs? I'm confused. Because if there's no merit of a tremolo apart from the function it serves, I'd prefer a fixed bridge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

morethan6

Reaction score
My strats have trems on them, but I just put 5 springs on them and bolt them tight so they don't really move.

I couple of points:

No, trems give you arguably less sustain than sting through, even with a good quality blocks.

A trem will absolutely NOT wear out in the way you describe if you don't use it for vibrato. Just playing shouldn't cause any wear.

Guitar choice wise, I would go for a Fender HSS (used USA should be doable with your budget). The spec you describe is exactly that. I would avoid anything with a Floyd as you don't want to use the trem, but good quality normal strat trems are fine.

I know you say Strat style, but you could also look at Teles with a humbucker in the bridge...

Happy shopping :)

GtrEnthusiast

Reaction score
I know you say Strat style, but you could also look at Teles with a humbucker in the bridge...

Thanks for writing.
You're right, I can consider them. Any suggestions?

What do you think about something like a Godin Session?

The spec you describe is exactly that...

Fenders have a 9.5". I'm looking for a flatter neck. Not too flat though.

source field

Reaction score
If you don't min having a hs config you could try a charvel san dimas pro mod
Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod HS Hardtail in Candy Apple Red | Andertons

Came to post this :lol:

Also, MusicMan Silhouette Special Non-Tremolo
(Alder + HSS + Fixed bridge, but not really a traditional strat body shape):

musicman-sil-sp-hss.jpg

or Carvin Bolt

3449_eight_a_1.jpg

chandler1389

Reaction score
out of those four you posted ive tried the ml1 and the godin, chapman guitars always seem to weigh more than boat anchors, and every godin ive ever tried was really nice.

never tried a g&l or tagliare, so I acant really comment on them.

GtrEnthusiast

Reaction score
out of those four you posted ive tried the ml1 and the godin, chapman guitars always seem to weigh more than boat anchors, and every godin ive ever tried was really nice.

never tried a g&l or tagliare, so I acant really comment on them.

The Ibanze AT10P and G&L Legacy cost almost double than the Chapman ML1, Dean Zelinsky Tagliare, and Godin Session.

Are they really worth the price tag?

chandler1389

Reaction score
don't really no to much about g&l cos I haven't ever seen one personaly here In the uk.
The Ibanez seems a bit to pricey for what it really is.

My best advice would be to either find a used musicman, a godin session, or one of the charvels I linked to earlier.:yesway:

stevexc

Reaction score
The Ibanze AT10P and G&L Legacy cost almost double than the Chapman ML1, Dean Zelinsky Tagliare, and Godin Session.

Are they really worth the price tag?

I was hanging out at what may have been the most pathetic guitar shop I've ever been in a couple weekends ago, playing all two dozen of their guitars. They had a couple really high end Parkers; some midrange Ibanez, BC Rich, and Dean; some low-end crap; and a single G&L Tribute Legacy, with a price tag of about $600 CAD.

I'll be damned if it wasn't the single nicest sounding electric guitar I have ever played unplugged.

I didn't plug anything in while I was there, but this thing just sang. I don't even like Strats but hot damn. It sounded like a semi-hollow but louder. I realize that means next to nothing for its actual tone, but it was definitely well built and played super nice.

That said I have heard nothing but good things about the Chapman ML-1s, they've won awards for being the best "budget" guitar. I would give one of them a shot for sure.

chandler1389

Reaction score
you should come to England stevexc and see some of the atrocities that we call guitar shops here, Thank god we have andertons and gak or we'd be buggered.:noplease:

stevexc

Reaction score
you should come to England stevexc and see some of the atrocities that we call guitar shops here, Thank god we have andertons and gak or we'd be buggered.:noplease:

Haha this one was really only bad because we've got a Long & McQuade - which is an excellent shop - five minutes away from it, and AXE Music is in town, too. Not saying you guys have it any better, of course - although in terms of volume, you might.

But when only 5% (okay, 10%, I'll count the acoustics too) of the floorspace on the first floor of your brand new, massive shop is actually dedicated to guitars - and half of those guitars, literally, are entry level GIOs and Jay Tursers - I'm not gonna be impressed, haha. The two Parkers together were worth more than their entire stock of other guitars.

But again, that G&L made it worth it. It actually felt way nicer than the one Parker I played. Oddly enough, the Dean Inferno V was a somewhat close second, along with their RG821.

Oh, the things I do while the fiancee's getting her nails done across the parking lot... :lol:

chandler1389

Reaction score
one shop round the corner tried flogging a second hand les paul studio for 1100 pounds, which equals 1825 dollars :lol: my reaction :lol: