Possibly strange wiring in new RGD2127z

FruitCakeRonin

ss.reg orgular
Reaction score
Hello.
I just bought an Ibanez RGD2127z today, and since I am going to change the pickups at some point, I decided to take a look at the electronics when I got home. The guitar still has the original V77 and V87 installed, and I dont think the cavity plates have ever been removed.

The wiring for the pickups seem a little strange though. From what I can gather from all the wiring diagrams Ive been able to find, the red wire from both pickups should be going to the switch, and both green wires to the volume pot for grounding.

So what is going on here? Pickups wired incorrectly? Wired alternatively? Or wired normally, but the wires just have the "wrong" colors?. Everything sounds normal, so Im not sure what the deal is.

l9WiGCF.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello.
I just bought an Ibanez RGD2127z today, and since I am going to change the pickups at some point, I decided to take a look at the electronics when I got home. The guitar still has the original V77 and V87 installed, and I dont think the cavity plates have ever been removed.

The wiring for the pickups seem a little strange though. From what I can gather from all the wiring diagrams Ive been able to find, the red wire from both pickups should be going to the switch, and both green wires to the volume pot for grounding.

So what is going on here? Pickups wired incorrectly? Wired alternatively? Or wired normally, but the wires just have the "wrong" colors?. Everything sounds normal, so Im not sure what the deal is.

l9WiGCF.png

There's no standard color for pickup leads, so it might look weird if you're basing an Ibanez pickups' wiring to a Fender or SD or whatever based solely on color.

B4631F2B-2289-4898-B8AF-85589C440F72.jpeg

Reaction score
There's a Facebook group called guitar wiring that has the most complete pickup leads' color code...

22104607_10158615773817355_1848987680346934467_o.jpg

If the guitar sounds fine, let it be, don't fix what's not broken. Worry about that when you'll have new pickups to install...

FruitCakeRonin

ss.reg orgular
Reaction score
There's a Facebook group called guitar wiring that has the most complete pickup leads' color code...

If the guitar sounds fine, let it be, don't fix what's not broken. Worry about that when you'll have new pickups to install...

Strange. According to that diagram the neck pickup should be wired wrong. Or maybe not wrong, but out of phase?
My main concern was really whether or not the neck pickup's north- and south-start should always be "reversed", but nothing seems to indicate that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Strange. According to that diagram the neck pickup should be wired wrong. Or maybe not wrong, but out of phase?
My main concern was really whether or not the neck pickup's north- and south-start should always be "reversed", but nothing seems to indicate that.

I can't speak for your guitar's wiring, please consider that this previous image may be out-of-date or the guitar's pickups may not be up-to-date with this diagram. Also, if the switching works fine and the guitar doesn't sounds wonky when mixing the pickups, let it be, when the time comes to swap in some new pickups, then think about this.

However, if this is really troubling for you, please post a good picture of said wiring and we'll be happy to solve this puzzle with you... based only on your input on the subject, of course...

Latest posts