Post Your GAS

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It's not made by ESP - my hands are tied. I'm not sure it's really for purchase -- it's a commemorative sort of guitar for Osaka.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I've been kind of GAS-ing for one of these ESP Meteorite Y.K.C. signature models lately. Shame that they are just so darn pricey, as is everything coming out of the ESP shop in Japan these days. But hey...Coldrain is a sick, heavy band!

EFYQGxBUYAY54AK.jpg

It's the ESP Amorous (now called the Mystique?) body shape but made into a flat, thin design ala an ESP Viper, complimented by the typical modern bevels around the edges of the otherwise flat top. It takes the body from PRS territory into Gibson SG territory for those who are fans of that sort of SG/Viper body style. Boring, generic ESP "flag" headstock though. Very simple design.

Pickups from the factory are a set of BKP The Mules, which kind of seem like an odd choice given Coldrain's metalcore/post-hardcore musical style.

002.jpg

The design of the Meteorite makes sense for Yokochi given that he was a long-time player of the ESP Amorous model, with his main guitar for years being a particular, blue Amorous that he swapped black hardware and a set of uncovered Duncans into.

16835500946_1093f9a6a6_k.jpg

EIuuWuqUwAEzz8D.jpg

But let's be honest here. The ESP Meteorite essentially looks just like a Schecter S-II Platinum. I mean, it bares quite a bit of cosmetic resemblance. :lol:

12Schecter-S-II-Platinum_.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, but you don't have to deal with the god awful Schecter 'reverse book' headstock. It seems a little closer to the Mosrite/Dunable aesthetic too, I dig it, it'd be cool if they ever made an LTD version but I'm sure the appeal is not there to the majority.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah, but you don't have to deal with the god awful Schecter 'reverse book' headstock. It seems a little closer to the Mosrite/Dunable aesthetic too, I dig it, it'd be cool if they ever made an LTD version but I'm sure the appeal is not there to the majority.
Yes dude that reverse book headstock is fucking atrocious.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Looking at the Dunable Yeti, I could absolutely see that resemblance in the shape and aesthetic. Woah…

There isn’t a LTD version since Coldrain isn’t big outside of Japan. However, since they are big in Japan, there is an Edwards version with the generic Duncan ‘59 (SH-1n, neck) & JB (SH-4, bridge) pickup set instead of the BKPs. But that’s fine with me since I’ve been rather partial towards the JB lately.

So…that might be the move.

On a side note: been seeing way too many Edwards-branded artist signature models coming stock from the factory with the Duncan Custom (SH-5) or Duncan Distortion (SH-6) in the bridge position lately too.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
bd7ct-21s-m-f-pl_6.png

Few years before, I though it is ridiculously priced, but inflation hits hard, and every guitar company priced up like crazy, it looks reasonable now.
As much as you can, attempt to try the one you're gonna buy before you actually buy it, and spend some time with it. That is, unless you are ready to very likely put some more money on a fret dress and to fix electronics, or you could incur the risk of fixing it yourself.

... speaking from experience, and I did try the one I bought before I bought it :lol: I was just very overwhelmed by the experience when I first tried it. (first time trying a fanned fret, an 8 string, a headless, and a Strandberg in general)

I will say though, now that it's all fixed up... it's a HELL of a guitar.

dirtool

Reaction score
As much as you can, attempt to try the one you're gonna buy before you actually buy it, and spend some time with it. That is, unless you are ready to very likely put some more money on a fret dress and to fix electronics, or you could incur the risk of fixing it yourself.

... speaking from experience, and I did try the one I bought before I bought it :lol: I was just very overwhelmed by the experience when I first tried it. (first time trying a fanned fret, an 8 string, a headless, and a Strandberg in general)

I will say though, now that it's all fixed up... it's a HELL of a guitar.
So there are quality issues like other Indonesia made guitars?

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Duh. You just answered yourself there.

But Strandbergs have had a borderline insurmountable amount of QC issues ever since production was moved out of Korea. (The Japanese J-Bodens are an exception to all of this.)

Strandbergs nowadays should cost the consumer only half of what is being ask for them because off how low the quality is. Other brands offer a lot more guitar (and a lot better quality) for the money. With Strandberg at this point, you’re paying just for the niche as Ola Strandberg continues to shift from factory to factory in order to find the cheapest possible means of production, regardless of what Ola might try to feed the marketplace about the perceived percentages that the chain of retail mark up every step along the way (distributors: 40-50%, dealers or retailers: 20-30%, etc.)

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dunno about other Indo made guitars, but these do have QC issues. From my own experience and from the accounts I've read, Strandbergs usually seem to be very well built, but there is always the ONE thing that is wrong. In my case it was the frets, and potentially the electronics, (still trying to figure out the latter. Sometimes I seem to get more output out of the guitar than others, based on the dB readings on my DAI, and I keep having to adjust the input level, but the tones I get are good so 🤷‍) and those two things seem to be the most common pitfalls.

Otherwise, the finish on mine is fantastic, and I particularly like the neck joint fit. It seems absolutely immovable, and the fit is the tightest of all my guitars. The hardware is the tiniest bit wonky if you look at it through a microscope, but nothing that affects playability or even the looks of it. Unplugged it sounds the best and loudest of all my guitars, for whatever that's worth.

I also worry about the zeroeth fret, as it's already ever so slightly dented. I suppose it'll need a change a few years down the line, because I don't think leveling it would be the greatest idea.