Powerlifting. Anyone on here do it?

• Thread starter Defyantly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Millul

Reaction score
That's cool man, least you're kitted out.

Another thing we did for my comp prep was super exaggerated pause reps (like 5s) so if you get a delayed press command, you know you can still shift it.

Yep, it also doubles as furniture, as I keep the squat stands, bar and weights in the living room...makes for a good topic of discussion :fever: while the bench is usually alomg the wall by the door, to be used as a "shoes on/shoes off" bench.

Luckily never had issues with bench commands, but it's been 3 years since my last comp so I don't really know how I'd fare now.

jaxadam

Reaction score
New supplements day. Why just exist when you can evolveTM.

IMG-2843.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
After a year + hiatus I am back at the gym doing all three lifts. The only lift that went down was my squat, so I'm recycling the first 4 weeks of my program until I get my squat back up. Decided to deadlift 315 for a 6 reps my first day and even though I really enjoyed it absolutely everything was hurting (including my neck?).
I really like the quantitative aspect of powerlifting and I'm excited to see where things go this year now with consistent programming.
Never thought I would enjoy lifting heavy things but here we are :)

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Started adding a powerlifting day in my weekly workouts about 2 months ago, now it's like a serious itch that I look forward to taking care of twice a week.

Mainly focusing on romanian deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, sumo squats, zercher squats, and dumbbell front squats. Not for any reason other than I figured out good form for those and i'm able to safely progress in them.

I can't for the life of me pull a clean rep in a stiff leg deadlift, my form always turns romanian, can't keep my legs straight... I tried forcing it a few weeks ago and pinched something in my right shoulder blade... the worst debilitating pain I've ever felt the next morning, barely got into the shower and when i did I stayed there for awhile. I'm all good now but what a bonehead move, good lesson on the importance of good form and general respect for the weights.

Anywho it's in my blood already, amazing what it does to build your strength in such a short amount if time.

Quick q's for you guys:

General rep range? How many sets do you aim for per lift type?

How do you know when you're ready to add more weight to your lifts? For me if I can hit 8-9 clean and deep lifts/squats then I need to bump up the weight and reset my reps back down to 5-6 per set, until I hit 8-9 reps again. How about you?

Do you drop the weights or lower? I've done both but I don't feel a difference, so I just lower them now out of courtesy to others.

And how about that rush when you're walking in fresh with no soreness and just about to start your first set? Man someone might as well bottle that feeling and sell it on the black market lol...

Allan Thrall has a good tutorial on the stiff leg deadlift. Generally keeping the bar in front of your shins and keeping your hips high. Generalized I know, but that's what helped me the most. I program light SLD after heavy-paused deadlifts.

As for your questions and just from my experience:
General rep range towards the beginning should be relatively heavy, 3/4 sets of 6-7 reps followed by light accessory work (rows, bird dogs, etc.).

Adding load per week is more important than adding reps or set on any given week if going for strength (Mike Israetel goes to gnarly depths discussing the why/how). For example, if your program calls for 3 sets of 6 reps one week, add 10lbs the next week without changing set/rep amount.

I'm currently trying out this program: https://www.calgarybarbell.com/16-week-program
My friend used to program my lifts but since he's relatively busy this program looks sound.
It's based on your estimated 1 rep max for most exercises. If you're relatively sure about how many reps you can do for a given exercise, such as a heavy triple or something than most 1 rep max calculators are pretty sound. Anything above 5 is iffy but doesn't hurt to try.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Welp, my pecs gone in the same place again.

Sadly think I'll have to stop Powerlifting, at least competitively as I'll always be conscious of tiptoeing round Bench Press.

Looks like I'll stay over on the dark side (Weightlifting)..

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
... Decided to deadlift 315 for a 6 reps my first day and even though I really enjoyed it absolutely everything was hurting (including my neck?).

this is "good" (unless we're talking a pulled muscle lol) - keeping your neck tight and leading up with it is the way to go so some soreness after the break is no big deal and is most likely an indication of proper technique. kind of how biceps/brachialis "should" be somewhat sore after the heavy bench day.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
this is "good" (unless we're talking a pulled muscle lol) - keeping your neck tight and leading up with it is the way to go so some soreness after the break is no big deal and is most likely an indication of proper technique. kind of how biceps/brachialis "should" be somewhat sore after the heavy bench day.

For sure, never thought how soreness would feel over an extended period of rest. Up to now haven't really felt pain and only muscle soreness so that's a good sign, glad my body adapted relatively fast. I have injured my back in the past so I know how something feels when it's pulled/injured relative to good muscle soreness. Never would've thought that my neck muscles would feel the lift too ha.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Welp, my pecs gone in the same place again.

Sadly think I'll have to stop Powerlifting, at least competitively as I'll always be conscious of tiptoeing round Bench Press.

Looks like I'll stay over on the dark side (Weightlifting)..

Nevermind, back on my BS and entering a PL comp in January.

Going to tread super careful with Bench Press but I'm confident I can put up a decent total if I focus on pushing up my Squat and Dead numbers till then.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Well after a few months of being consistent with a program I was able to hit a 405 lb x 3 deadlift, 315 lb x 3 squat and 225 lb x 2 bench at 170 lb. I'm pretty sure I can hit a 425 deadlift, 325 squat and maybe a 235 bench after the taper week the program has built in. Not looking to compete but feels good to finally hit those numbers after being inconsistent with hypertrophy programs for two years.

Millul

Reaction score
Good work mate!
I've been SUPER inconsistent with training over the last 3 months, and it totally shows...schedule will be outta-control-crazy for a few more weeks, then I hope I'll be able to get back to a more solid routine.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Well after a few months of being consistent with a program I was able to hit a 405 lb x 3 deadlift, 315 lb x 3 squat and 225 lb x 2 bench at 170 lb. I'm pretty sure I can hit a 425 deadlift, 325 squat and maybe a 235 bench after the taper week the program has built in. Not looking to compete but feels good to finally hit those numbers after being inconsistent with hypertrophy programs for two years.

Good numbers man.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
Said F-it and pulled 430lbs! Tried 435lbs (shown) but couldn't get it up, guess fatigue caught up to me. The bars were actually really stiff as well, this is a really old 24hr fitness I'm going to

Attachments

• 35D5BD2C-E4CC-4D5A-8856-2F6F303F67C5.jpeg
    35D5BD2C-E4CC-4D5A-8856-2F6F303F67C5.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 9