Preamp, poweramp vs. amp head

irg7620

zombie
Reaction score
So, I don't think it's a case of one is better than the other. It's more along the lines of what you're looking for. If you're interested in having 1 really awesome tone and have no need for a lot of effects, then you'd probably like a single amp head more than all the muss & fuss of programming a pre-amp. If you're more into experimenting and you play a lot of different styles and then you should look into the separate pre/power amp thing because you'll get a LOT more versatility than you will with say, a 2 channel Dual Rectifier or Soldano SLO-100.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i pretty much just stick to metal. i have no real need for lots of effects. although i will buy a wah and maybe a chorus pedal down the line. maybe a few others. i like the idea of having more wattage pushing the cabinet harder. i like tons of volume. i would like to buy a vader cabinet since i have heard them used on Suffocation's albums. i like the head/cab setup, but i would like to have the ability to have more watts. any suggestions for trying out any preamps with little to no effects and high watt poweramps? i have played on a Marshall JCM 900 head through a Marshall 1960A Cabinet. sounded good, but i am highly interested in destroying a vader cabinet with those eminence speakers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.