Presidential debate 1

• Thread starter bob123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
Welcome to Bullshit Mountain. The alternate reality in which Trench, Glenn Beck and Mitt Romney's savings live.

tumblr_mbka9liZVt1qcykkwo1_250.gif

tumblr_mbka9liZVt1qcykkwo2_250.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Syrinx

Reaction score
Didn't he pay his legal share of taxes?

Well another example of why I don't trust a thing he says..

One day he claims he will never pay more taxes then he's legally obligated to (I fully support this, why would anyone do such a thing?), then he intentionally does not claim as much as he is legally allowed on his donations so he can keep up his other claim that he's never paid lower than 13% in tax and thus paying more than he obligated to.

flint757

Reaction score
In other words he is a snake in the grass, who was lying and to cover it up didn't take all of his deductions. Not the least bit surprised, after all no better gig than the president, you make a lot of money till the day you die for doing absolutely nothing (after you leave office).

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I forget who made the point earlier in this thread (sorry :() but the fact he gives more to the Mormon church than he does to the country he "loves so much" is quite telling. :2c:

Semichastny

Reaction score
I forget who made the point earlier in this thread (sorry :() but the fact he gives more to the Mormon church than he does to the country he "loves so much" is quite telling. :2c:

I saw a guy on some faith channel address a large crowd and say "It's ok to be a christian before being an american!". It was very disturbing.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
What's worse is that people are willing to be American or Christian before being a Decent Human Being... And in those instances, they usually get the meaning of those things wrong anyway.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score

That was me. (^.^)

I saw a guy on some faith channel address a large crowd and say "It's ok to be a christian before being an american!". It was very disturbing.

My International Relations book features a pie chart comparison of the top five most Muslim countries and the top five most Christian countries. The question was:

Are you first a citizen of your country or first a member of your religion?

Muslim: 60% religion, 22% country, 18% other.

Christian: 24% religion, 62% country, 14% other.

In the Muslim world, Islam provides a stronger sense of community and belonging than any border ever will. At the same time, something like 60% of Americans think America was founded as a Christian nation.

It's scary/reassuring/mostly scary how similar we really are.

1347898152108727.jpg

celticelk

Reaction score
My International Relations book features a pie chart comparison of the top five most Muslim countries and the top five most Christian countries. The question was:

Are you first a citizen of your country or first a member of your religion?

Muslim: 60% religion, 22% country, 18% other.

Christian: 24% religion, 62% country, 14% other.

In the Muslim world, Islam provides a stronger sense of community and belonging than any border ever will.

What's the colonial and political history of those five "most Muslim" countries? The greater portion of the Muslim world has been colonized by the West for so long that it's really no surprise if the inhabitants feel a greater sense of identity with their religion.

flint757

Reaction score
And it would also add to their general hate for the western world as well, I imagine.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this here yet, but I'll bring it up either way.
Part of being a Mormon is using "God's gifts" to the benefit of the Mormon Church. So, if a Mormon became President, he would have to use that power for the benefit of the Mormon Church, essentially making America a theocracy. I think if everyone knew this Romney wouldn't even be a candidate.

lurgar

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this here yet, but I'll bring it up either way.
Part of being a Mormon is using "God's gifts" to the benefit of the Mormon Church. So, if a Mormon became President, he would have to use that power for the benefit of the Mormon Church, essentially making America a theocracy. I think if everyone knew this Romney wouldn't even be a candidate.

But he wouldn't be Obama and he believes in God and is a good business man. That is literally the line of thought that will occur if you bring that up.

flint757

Reaction score
Religion doesn't matter to Americans unless you are an Athiest or Muslim. They treat all other faith as the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Catholics and Jews had a rough time for awhile IMO as well, politically, but religion is instantly overlooked/ not important to get rid of Obama since 'that is all that matters'. :rolleyes:

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
What's the colonial and political history of those five "most Muslim" countries? The greater portion of the Muslim world has been colonized by the West for so long that it's really no surprise if the inhabitants feel a greater sense of identity with their religion.

The history is that more often than not, those borders were drawn by western powers with no respect to the tribal territories already in place. Similar to Africa, except when you look at places like Northern Iraq with the Kurds, there's more of a Israel/Palestine situation.

flint757

Reaction score
There is a laundry list of justifiable reasons for big portions of the world to hate western society. That being said the reasons I have heard over the last decade don't reflect those reasons AFAIK.

Lives Once Abstract

Avid Musician
Reaction score

Yes, but, we shouldn't get too carried away with the fact that the president has alot less power than he's made out to have. I don't want him in office sure, but also, I'm more concerned with whos in congress. The president isn't a monarch, but its still a possition of power in the U.S. federal government.

Also, (this is off topic, but still on topic...) I'm kinda interested to see how aggressive the VP debate will be. :lol: They won't hold back as much as the other two.

Semichastny

Reaction score
Yes, but, we shouldn't get too carried away with the fact that the president has alot less power than he's made out to have. I don't want him in office sure, but also, I'm more concerned with whos in congress. The president isn't a monarch, but its still a possition of power in the U.S. federal government.

Just because something has been enumerated on a piece of parchment doesn't mean that is how it is in real life. Remember all the problems and issues tied directly to the last president?