Preventing EMG logo deterioration

• Thread starter Samark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Kind of in the same bracket as people trying to sell a single 68' Gibson screw for thousands on Reverb
I knew a guy restoring an old Corvette and he paid hundres for a few original screws that go in the engine where nobody will ever see them, just because they had the logo on them. That's called money to burn and wish I could make these problems my big problems too. lol. It's stupid imo but to these 'enthusiasts' it's everything and apparently really affects value. Like actiion figures and comics that greatly vary in value because of a little bend on the corner of the box or something. lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
-Alcohol was used to clean the surface
-Applied dust coats
-No discernable difference in areas coated vs those that aren't (make sure you select good matte clear)
-Overall happy with outcome, logos should in theory last longer

Riffer Madness

Reaction score
I have old school 81s with the non quick connect, and there are even shiny outlines where the strings pass over em despite having high-ish action and blocking the floyd.

I suspect that pick dust is the main culprit (that guitar has satin wear lines on the body as well). Maybe using air duster after playing or before cleaning would help?

EDIT.... now that I think about it, there's also string wear on the corners of the high side...

It's probably unavoidable

Gl

Last edited:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this:
1.) Old-logo EMGs sound better and are more valuable.

2.) To avoid accelerating wear on the logo and diminishing the collector value, people should remove the older pickups and either sell them or put them up.

3.) Either way they need to be replaced with the less-collectible current production equivalents, because the difference in sound isn’t worth worrying about.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this:
1.) Old-logo EMGs sound better and are more valuable.

2.) To avoid accelerating wear on the logo and diminishing the collector value, people should remove the older pickups and either sell them or put them up.

3.) Either way they need to be replaced with the less-collectible current production equivalents, because the difference in sound isn’t worth worrying about.

I think some guitarists are actually cats 🐈 masquerading as humans. 🐱

Explains a lot of things.....

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
In personally like the look of the logo fading away. It's the sign of a guitar someone got a lot of mileage out of and that's something I can respect.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
My knee-jerk reaction was “Really?”, but I’m getting ready to strip all the nitro off a partcaster neck because whoever put the logo on did not use a period correct logo and they sealed it under a layer of nitro, so I’m literally going to refinish the entire neck because of it. :lol:

brector

Reaction score
I knew a guy restoring an old Corvette and he paid hundres for a few original screws that go in the engine where nobody will ever see them, just because they had the logo on them. That's called money to burn and wish I could make these problems my big problems too. lol. It's stupid imo but to these 'enthusiasts' it's everything and apparently really affects value. Like actiion figures and comics that greatly vary in value because of a little bend on the corner of the box or something. lol.
That is a whole other ballgame. In a car restoration, you want numbers matching, NOS, etc. for the value.

electric

Reaction score
Typical guitar forum attitude. Someone asks a question, and out of the 20 answers two of them offer some insight, while the others act wiseass saying stuff like "jUsT PlAy yEr GuiTerRr". Les Pauls selling for 50.000$ is ridiculous, this here is just being particular and taking care of your gear. And yes, SOME old stuff really is made somewhat better. My old Jacksons feel way better than the similarly priced current models, they are made of better, pre-restriction woods, and don't even get me started on Ibanez. There are legit reasons for the huge used market, and not all collectors get them to have something to look at.

On-topic: i wouldn't of sprayed the pickup front, TBH, just paint over the logo with a really fine brush, like another user suggested. I like the grainy texture, and even with a matte coat, it might look out-of-place. But if you made it work, it's all good.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Typical guitar forum attitude. Someone asks a question, and out of the 20 answers two of them offer some insight, while the others act wiseass saying stuff like "jUsT PlAy yEr GuiTerRr". Les Pauls selling for 50.000$ is ridiculous, this here is just being particular and taking care of your gear. And yes, SOME old stuff really is made somewhat better. My old Jacksons feel way better than the similarly priced current models, they are made of better, pre-restriction woods, and don't even get me started on Ibanez. There are legit reasons for the huge used market, and not all collectors get them to have something to look at.

On-topic: i wouldn't of sprayed the pickup front, TBH, just paint over the logo with a really fine brush, like another user suggested. I like the grainy texture, and even with a matte coat, it might look out-of-place. But if you made it work, it's all good.
Sorry, but "old EMG logo mojo" isn't happening. Anyone silly enough to pay more money for a used EMG pickup because the logo is the old version deserves to get taken for whatever they're worth.

Latest posts